BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Dirty BARFing

Old 04-29-2019, 05:13 AM   #1426
elemetal
3 pings and a zing

Contributor +

Motorcycles: '18 Scorpa 300, '14 Gas Gas xc300r, '93 KTM 550 MXC, 2014 500 EXC
Name:
Beautiful weekend and the dirt was pretty good, rivers were running and captivating to just stare at. Clear blue water running over granite slab and tumbling around rocks, we even got to ride through some of it.

Saturday trial wasn't too hard (3 line was easier than Rocky for sure) and the loop was pretty short. Eric B made it up and had a good ride, scored 1 pt each loop for a total of 3 and a 2nd (3rd?) place finish in class. Donna was getting back into the groove of it and doing well, she wasn't planning on running the whole event but had so much fun she did 3 loops. Rodeo on Saturday was goofy as usual; water balloon toss; slow race that turned into mayhem immediately and a wild session of pop-the-balloon-on-the-other-guys-fender. All riders get a balloon taped to their rear fender and a roll of newpaper, then everyone rides around in a semi-small area and tried to pop anyone else's balloon to knock them out of the area....surprised no one crashed, 50 riders all riding one handed has issues. Ran into some SFMC folks there as well, they camped right next to us. Nice folks that we chatted with a bit.

Sunday was great weather but the ADV sections were mostly tough. A couple of INT easy ones but a number of "...just don't get a 5..." ones. Section 10 was ADV=EXP; you dropped into a small creek and rode about 75 feet up it, water about 16" deep with big and small super slick rocks in your way. Then you had to pull a 110 degree turn and line up with an obstacle. The turn had to be just right as you only had two bike lengths between the tape/edge of the stream and what you had to go up....What you had to go up was a 6-7 ft vertical dirt/root/rock wall with a big tree at the top on one side and a drop back to the steam on the other. Traction was across some semi slick rocks in the running stream and you had to send it from that to get up. That wall was on my mind for every loop after I first tried it, pretty intimidating without a good way out if you blew it. First attempt I failed but thanks to long legs went back down into the stream, no harm no foul but a 5. Got up it the next two loops but got a 3 in the section both times. After you went up the wall you did a 180 and cam back down it...you had to get on the gas just as you hit the stream bed to unload the front or a massive endo was in order; wasn't vertical like the up but damn close, felt like you were going over for sure when you rolled over the top...

I made some stupid mistakes in each loop that hurt my score and never really got on top of the sections, always felt like I was just getting through. Rode some tough stuff better than some of the other ADV guys but blew some easy stuff for sure. Placed last in class....

Toe Cutter placed 2nd (great riding man!) and Mike M took ADV A by a mile. Howard had a bad day, saw him getting dabs all over and even drop his bike right at a section entry, he got real lucky and it was just before the gate so no 5 but it looked like something I'd do, not him. There was a deep hole in the creek you couldn't see and a nasty rock at the lead out, stopped both him and Scott G in their tracks and over they went.

Event was great but tough (typical Schaad) and they are holding Nationals there next year. That will be an event to be at for sure, so much great terrain to ride, can't wait to see what the pros can do on some of that stuff.
elemetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:24 AM   #1427
elemetal
3 pings and a zing

Contributor +

Name:
82 riders Saturday; 83 riders Sunday.... Last year I remember about 55 each day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SFMC crew.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	519801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Riders meeting saturday.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	519802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saturday section.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	519803  
Old 04-29-2019, 07:38 AM   #1428
undertheoaks
When in doubt gas it!

Motorcycles: Super Tenere, Sherco 300ST
Name: El Sid
Great review Luke, I thought the toughness was going to get me so I'm glad I skipped it but sad I missed it. We need to ride back has been feeling better with my yoga and stretching shoulder not so sure about no pain but now that I know kind of scared to hurt it. We need to scout out my new 20 acres maybe next weekend or the one after before it gets to hot.
undertheoaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:31 AM   #1429
elemetal
3 pings and a zing

Contributor +

Name:
Yeah it was probably a good move to pass it, there were lots of mid thigh logs in semi tight spots and a couple of spots where if you missed your line it would hurt. Would love to ride the new property and may be able to do it this weekend. Was going to try to ride Fools Gold but don't think I'll have my forks done by then....

Dan K beat me by 7 points....he's been riding ADV for 4 years now, I'll get him at Cowpile.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:41 AM   #1430
The Toe Cutter
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: small one
Name:
Great report Luke! Hell I was placing last in ADV B last year and this is only your first few events. Once you guys have more experience I think you will both do well in ADV.

Like Luke said definitely a few places you could have gone over the bars so probably good you skipped this one Sid.

Looking forward to Cowpile, the loop is usually pretty damn fun especially through the fern/creek area. Think I finally fixed my carb issue which turned out to be too high of a float level even though I set it what everyone says (level with carb body when float needle is engaged.
The Toe Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:09 PM   #1431
elemetal
3 pings and a zing

Contributor +

Name:
Today me and the family went up to UndertheOaks new place to ride and hang with them. Got a late start but got to ride around a bit of the property; we were just on the tip of the iceberg. Lots of rocks and ledges of all sizes, little gullies with steep banks to drop down and ride out of (with rocks of course); fallen trees with 3ft trunks and lots of off camber. The whole place is pretty much at pitch save the area around the house; super good training for driving off a hillsides at obstacles. It will be hot mid summer but the nice breeze off the distant reservoir will mitigate that to some degree, rest of the year it will be epic. Can you imaging all those gullies with running water, Sid?

Thanks for having us up, we all had a blast and will see you next weekend. It will be the typical Cowpile with a long loop and technical sections, can't wait. We will be up Friday evening I think, Donna will probably ride Saturday and me Sunday. With all this dry weather I'll bet some of those sections will be dusty and loose.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:02 PM   #1432
The Toe Cutter
Veteran

Founding Member

Name:
Congrats on the property again Sid, that is awesome!

Looking forward to cowpile, weather should be very nice. Rode my bike once since Schaad and carb problem is back. Replaced a few things and still think it has to do with float height or venting. It’s intermittent now so difficult to diagnose.

Trying to get my 2010 gas gas dialed in so I can ride Carnegie when time permits. Feel so lucky that it is a legit green sticker.

See you guys at Cowpile and tell the wives happy Mother’s Day!!
Old 05-13-2019, 04:38 AM   #1433
elemetal
3 pings and a zing

Contributor +

Name:
About the carb,
I recently saw a thread in the Beta forum about carb issues and they pointed out that one of the breather lines has a small hole burned in it. I saw that on one of my breathers and thought it had touched the pipe or something but left it alone. Turns out that is done from the factory for some reason (allows gas to get out at extreme angles?). It looks like a flaw but isn't, not sure but maybe take a look at yours to make sure it is there? Would make the bike act like a clogged vent and run lean at times (I think).

I also know the cable at the slide is held in place with the spring pressure on that little plastic insert, I somehow put mine in wrong on the Scorpa when I first got it and that meant the slide was stopping in weird spots. It's a new bike so it should be something simple....you'd think anyways.

See you at Cowpile; just looked at the weather....rain mid week with a chance through the weekend. That would be a real first to ride out there with moist soil!?

Last edited by elemetal; 05-13-2019 at 04:43 AM..
Old 05-13-2019, 07:06 AM   #1434
The Toe Cutter
Veteran

Founding Member

Name:
Thanks Luke, exact same thing I was looking at over the weekend. Mike sent me pic of his line on his Scorpa and it had that “burnt hole”. Trying that tonight and hopefully will resolve my issues.

Looking at weather forecast i hope they don’t have to cancel the event!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7FB1921D-74B4-4FEC-8E74-4DF0C722F42E.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	520207  
Old 05-13-2019, 07:22 AM   #1435
undertheoaks
When in doubt gas it!

Wow just looked at the weather report, they will most likely cancel if they get rain on Wednesday and Thursday with a chance over the weekend under to much scrutiny out there. However come on up to the new property and we can ride up there even camp over if you want. Just saying!?!? Had a great time riding with you Luke on Sat first time I'm seen have that stuff.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:56 AM   #1436
elemetal
3 pings and a zing

Contributor +

Name:
Texted M.H. about it, he said up to an inch on Wed and possibly the same on Sat/Sun, not looking good. They will alert everyone Wed afternoon as to the event status, they are currently trying to figure out what to do.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:15 AM   #1437
onto1wheel
Riding All The Time

Motorcycles: KTM kawi kawi yam beta honda honda
Name: Doug
Sad, cow pile cancelled:
*** EVENT CANCELLED! *** The Cow Pile Trial this weekend has been cancelled due to rain forecast totals at Gambonini Ranch. There is a policy enforced by local jurisdictions on rain totals within a certain time frame in order to allow off road use
Old 05-14-2019, 11:39 AM   #1438
elemetal
3 pings and a zing

Contributor +

Name:
Yeah, just got the email too. I love that event and it's the only one nice and close so we don't spend 4 hrs getting home on Sunday. Maybe we can make up for it with the Carnegie Classic.....
Old 05-14-2019, 02:56 PM   #1439
undertheoaks
When in doubt gas it!

Bummer about the cow pile, will still be riding Sunday though !!
Old 05-14-2019, 05:24 PM   #1440
onto1wheel
Riding All The Time

Motorcycles: KTM kawi kawi yam beta honda honda
Name: Doug
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemetal View Post
Yeah, just got the email too. I love that event and it's the only one nice and close so we don't spend 4 hrs getting home on Sunday. Maybe we can make up for it with the Carnegie Classic.....
Carnegie is nice and close to the bay area and all that, but it ain't never ever gonna make up for the MCMA property. Ever.