BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > BARF Love of Community > Best of BARF


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #31
pregrid
wait, what?
 
pregrid's Avatar
 
AMA #: 2884576
Contributor + + + + + + +

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fremont, CA
Motorcycles: Husky SM610
Name: Dave
To those of you with "tat issues": Wake up! Ink doesn't define a person any more than a bow tie or an Armani suit does. Want proof? Turn on CNN or Fox news or any political broadcast for that matter. "Normal" clean cut people, right? Once anyone opens their mouth, who they are becomes immediately evident. Good on you Monkeyneck for doing this, it's greatly appreciated. And no, I don't have ink, anywhere.
pregrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #32
Surj
Uneasy Rider
 
Surj's Avatar
 
AMA #: 2825187
Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oakland, CA
Motorcycles: BMW R1200RT, Moto Guzzi V11 Rosso Mandello, Honda CRF250L, etc etc...
Name: Surj
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchslip View Post
I have NEVER seen a power-ranger stunter. You do know stunters dress differently than road racers, don't you? And YOUR interpretation of a biker looking guy is what, a Hells Angel like Sonny Barger, or Steve McQueen, or Ricky Carmichael? I don't follow your logic, one dang bit.

Since the other thread came up about doing a TV interview, I was surprised that this interview was not mentioned much sooner, monkeyneck. If you were running for elected office would your attitude about "image doesn't matter" change? You are representing something that may well be voted about, just like we vote on who is governor.

Thanks for your other efforts.
My name was mentioned in that thread, starting in the second post - a couple people mentioned (and PM'ed) me because of what I've been up to. When I chimed in (first page of thread) I mentioned this interview. I also PM'ed Feanor. I was in Florida on business and didn't have time to write much in the thread.

I also posted about this last month, when the segment was recorded.

I'm not running for office. I'm representing my work, my project. Yes, that represents riders - but have you seen motorcyclists? We're a pretty diverse bunch. I'm talking Dirtbag Challenge, Kilt Ride, people riding around SF in halloween costumes. If you're hoping people will think riders are a bunch of dentists in perfectly pressed khakis, the battle is long lost. (sorry, no offense to dentists or folks in khakis intended. ) I'm pretty representative of motorcyclists of a big part of the motorcycling populace.

I'm surprised at the lecturing tone I'm getting here - you guys have seen the picture; I'm obviously not a youngster. I know how this stuff works - I just don't play along.

Again, Rick Eckhardt, President of the Northern Nevada Conferderation of Clubs testifed in front of the transportation committees in both the Assembly and Senate on AB236. That bill is progressing quite well in spite of (or perhaps because of) his involvement, he looks like more of a "biker" than me. I urge you to check out my coverage of Nevada's lane splitting legislation here, which by the way I covered before any of the mainstream moto press. (my coverage was picked up by HellForLeather and others)

Look, I know that most of you don't realize the scale of this project and the amount of time and money I've put into this. I simply wanted to help with awareness around the CHP lane splitting guidelines - LaneShare.org hasn't done anything, and while the CHP PR is great, there are no regular joe riders doing anything like this, and there's a fair amount of disinformation/negativity in the media. I don't seek media attention for myself, but for the project/cause/whatever you want to call it - and anytime that kind of opportunity arises, I'll take it.

Watch the piece, and if you're still really concerned or embarrassed about me representing you, then I urge any of you to put your skills and resources on the table and get the "right" person in front of the media. The more the merrier - and I'll happily share all of my work with anyone who wants to step up and get involved instead of just criticizing.

Thanks to you all for your feedback and high fives. I'm done ranting about this. Sorry for the threadjack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pregrid View Post
To those of you with "tat issues": Wake up! Ink doesn't define a person any more than a bow tie or an Armani suit does. Want proof? Turn on CNN or Fox news or any political broadcast for that matter. "Normal" clean cut people, right? Once anyone opens their mouth, who they are becomes immediately evident. Good on you Monkeyneck for doing this, it's greatly appreciated. And no, I don't have ink, anywhere.
Thanks Dave!
Surj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:00 AM   #33
bluesboy
Stupid Hurts
 
bluesboy's Avatar
 
Contributor

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Francisco
Motorcycles: Honda 650 Shadow,BuellXB9SL,Buell125CR, Aprilia Tuono V4
Name: Joe
It's funny never gave a thought to your tattoos being a "bad" image. Maybe that's because a lot of the people I know have tattoos. In this day and age I think it's a lot to do about nothing.

Monkeyneck thanks for all the work you have done on our behalf!

Oh one more thing nice tattoos.
__________________
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,but rather to skid in broadside totally worn out & proclaiming, WOW what a ride!
bluesboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #34
Surj
Uneasy Rider
 
Surj's Avatar
 
AMA #: 2825187
Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oakland, CA
Motorcycles: BMW R1200RT, Moto Guzzi V11 Rosso Mandello, Honda CRF250L, etc etc...
Name: Surj
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesboy View Post
It's funny never gave a thought to your tattoos being a "bad" image. Maybe that's because a lot of the people I know have tattoos. In this day and age I think it's a lot to do about nothing.

Monkeyneck thanks for all the work you have done on our behalf!

Oh one more thing nice tattoos.
Thanks Joe!
Surj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #35
rodr
I'rn the one on the left.
 
rodr's Avatar
 
AMA #: 2846730
Contributor + + + +

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oz
Motorcycles: 2016 CB500XA
Name: Rod
Just watched the piece. Almost 5 minutes. Very nicely done!
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #36
Feanor
Unmasked
 
Feanor's Avatar
 
Contributor ++

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dublin
Motorcycles: 2008 ZX-10R, 2004 KDX-220R
Name: David
A weakness of human beings is we generalize to an infinite number of degrees and for an infinite number of reasons. Unfortunately, visuals are our primary source of input and ironically, one most easily fooled and misguided.

A person's past experience will always dictate their first impressions, but in an emotionally cooperative way, I think the tattoos are a valuable "Visual handshake" they formalize a first impression which identifies people who are at least open to thoughts and ideas where they are confused, on the fence, and yet still able to embrace different points of view if a cogent argument is presented.

If someone were to watch the interview, see the tattoos, and immediately be put off by them no matter how articulate and reasonably the other senses were engaged , chances are they would most probably be closed minded in many other ways as well, and a lost cause to the cause before it was even pitched.

I feel that given the message of the interview and the way it was effectively delivered, the tattoos had no bearing, and if anything, were visually interesting.

As with almost all things in human interaction, the most significant aspect in this is not what the tattoo means to the wearer, its already obvious that it must mean something incredibly significant, but instead if the observer can recognize and respect what that commitment must mean, since dedication like that must by logic translate into other aspects of the person's life as well like emotional attachment, dedication to an ideal, and or devotion to a cause...
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #37
Ant
Pink Freud
 
Ant's Avatar
 
Contributor +

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rural urban metropolis by the wayside
Motorcycles: BMW S1000XR
Name:
Is there a website we can see this??

Thanks monkeyneck for representing us
__________________
This segment was brought to you by the letter A
Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #38
Surj
Uneasy Rider
 
Surj's Avatar
 
AMA #: 2825187
Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oakland, CA
Motorcycles: BMW R1200RT, Moto Guzzi V11 Rosso Mandello, Honda CRF250L, etc etc...
Name: Surj
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodr View Post
Just watched the piece. Almost 5 minutes. Very nicely done!
Thanks Rod! I'm obviously the least practiced spokesperson type on the show, but I'm pleased with the way it turned out. Everyone was excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
If someone were to watch the interview, see the tattoos, and immediately be put off by them no matter how articulate and reasonably the other senses were engaged , chances are they would most probably be closed minded in many other ways as well, and a lost cause to the cause before it was even pitched.

I feel that given the message of the interview and the way it was effectively delivered, the tattoos had no bearing, and if anything, were visually interesting.
Thanks! And I agree.

There was a funny blog post by a woman back in the late nineties or early 00s about how Henry Rollin's tattoos made him the perfect man because they showed that he wasn't afraid of commitment. Wish I could find it - it'd add an interesting flavor to this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
Is there a website we can see this??

Thanks monkeyneck for representing us
Thank you! It's not up on the ABC site yet, and I don't have a DVR. They told me it'd be up early in the week, and they'll send me a DVD. In either case, as soon as I have it, I'll post it.
Surj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #39
rodr
I'rn the one on the left.
 
rodr's Avatar
 
AMA #: 2846730
Contributor + + + +

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oz
Motorcycles: 2016 CB500XA
Name: Rod
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyneck View Post
It's not up on the ABC site yet, and I don't have a DVR. They told me it'd be up early in the week, and they'll send me a DVD. In either case, as soon as I have it, I'll post it.
So you have permission? If so, I'll try trimming the mpg that I recorded and put it on youtube or send it to you, whichever you prefer.
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #40
Surj
Uneasy Rider
 
Surj's Avatar
 
AMA #: 2825187
Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oakland, CA
Motorcycles: BMW R1200RT, Moto Guzzi V11 Rosso Mandello, Honda CRF250L, etc etc...
Name: Surj
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodr View Post
So you have permission? If so, I'll try trimming the mpg that I recorded and put it on youtube or send it to you, whichever you prefer.
Yup, I do. If you could send me the file that'd be awesome. I'll put it on the LSIL YouTube channel and share it about. PM inbound!
Surj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #41
budman
General Menace
 
budman's Avatar
 
AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Palo Alto, Ca.
Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
I missed it and looking forward to seeing it.

Tuned in to view. I am sure if you think it went well it went very well.
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #42
SNsMoto
Don't be that guy.
 
SNsMoto's Avatar
 
Contributor +++

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Bay, CA
Motorcycles: 04 Suzuki GS500F & 07 D675
Name: Steven
Subscribed to see video!
SNsMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #43
Ol' Gravy Leg
That's my Jam!
 
Ol' Gravy Leg's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: In a school book suppository.
Motorcycles: Long Duck Dong
Name: Peligroso
Quote:
Originally Posted by pregrid View Post
To those of you with "tat issues": Wake up! Ink doesn't define a person any more than a bow tie or an Armani suit does. Want proof? Turn on CNN or Fox news or any political broadcast for that matter. "Normal" clean cut people, right? Once anyone opens their mouth, who they are becomes immediately evident. Good on you Monkeyneck for doing this, it's greatly appreciated. And no, I don't have ink, anywhere.
Did you read any of the discussion? Or did you just post because you wanted to proclaim "I'm a good person because I don't judge people by their skin"?

NONE ON THIS THREAD HAS AN ISSUE WITH THE TATTS! But, we are not so naοve to think that others do not reflexively judge on appearance.

Want proof? Look at all the sheep who watch CNN or Fox news. It is precisely these people who'd support new legislation to protect murdercyclist from themselves.

Awareness has been a long time coming. But, overexposure can threaten our freedom.

I'm sorry I brought it up the appearance issue. Had I known it had been taped already, I wouldn't have. What's done is done. So, let's stop beating the horse. Monkeyneck has handled it aplomb.

I'm looking forward to seeing the interview (and moving the conversation forward).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by EjGlows View Post
My dirt patch is so much easier to manage.
Ol' Gravy Leg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #44
SNsMoto
Don't be that guy.
 
SNsMoto's Avatar
 
Contributor +++

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Bay, CA
Motorcycles: 04 Suzuki GS500F & 07 D675
Name: Steven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Gravy Leg View Post
Did you read any of the discussion? Or did you just post because you wanted to proclaim "I'm a good person because I don't judge people by their skin"?

NONE ON THIS THREAD HAS AN ISSUE WITH THE TATTS! But, we are not so naοve to think that others do not reflexively judge on appearance.

Want proof? Look at all the sheep who watch CNN or Fox news. It is precisely these people who'd support new legislation to protect murdercyclist from themselves.

Awareness has been a long time coming. But, overexposure can threaten our freedom.

I'm sorry I brought it up the appearance issue. Had I known it had been taped already, I wouldn't have. What's done is done. So, let's stop beating the horse. Monkeyneck has handled it aplomb.

I'm looking forward to seeing the interview (and moving the conversation forward).
Agreed. Monkeyneck has done amazing work for us and I follow his facebook posts all the time.

I also just wanted to chime in on the tattoo appearance in GENERAL. For what it's worth, the tattoos were also the first thing I noticed when I saw the picture and immediately also shared the same thought that they should have been covered without even reading a single post in this thread. This is just how things are.

Perception and first impressions are everything. This has nothing to do with us as individuals and whether or not we are individually accepting of tattoos, this is about the greater good of the public awareness and acceptance of the motorcycle community that I think a few of us brought this up.

Thanks for doing us a huge service OP and we appreciate you staying true to your character.
SNsMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #45
jdhu
Veteran
 
jdhu's Avatar
 
Contributor ++++

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Davis
Motorcycles: 2014 R6
Name: Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNsMoto View Post
Agreed. Monkeyneck has done amazing work for us and I follow his facebook posts all the time.

I also just wanted to chime in on the tattoo appearance in GENERAL. For what it's worth, the tattoos were also the first thing I noticed when I saw the picture and immediately also shared the same thought that they should have been covered without even reading a single post in this thread. This is just how things are.

Perception and first impressions are everything. This has nothing to do with us as individuals and whether or not we are individually accepting of tattoos, this is about the greater good of the public awareness and acceptance of the motorcycle community that I think a few of us brought this up.

Thanks for doing us a huge service OP and we appreciate you staying true to your character.
Sorry also to keep discussing an issue that is already moot, but this post sums up my feelings exactly. First thing I noticed in the pic was the tats, and I mentally cringed. As Gravy says, none of us in this thread has any issue with the tats, but WE ARE NOT THE AUDIENCE.

This video segment is essentially a PSA, and call it unfortunate, but people judge messages (in part) based on the messenger. When I saw the pic, well, OP kind of looked like a "Harley fag." And you know what people tend to think of them (even many of us, who are fellow motorcyclists).

Again, thank you OP. I think we are all appreciative, and the tats aren't an issue for us. Some of us just think that maybe the message would have appealed to more drivers, had you covered.
jdhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.