BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > BARF Love of Community > Riders On The Mend

Old 04-05-2016, 07:53 AM   #16
parainbow
Chicks dig squeaky pants

AMA #: 3203743

Motorcycles: '16 S1000XR, '13 Ural Gear Up
Name: Paul
I had Progressive through USAA when I was hit by an SUV (which was being operated as a commercial vehicle). They sent an adjuster to my house the day after I was released from the trauma center. He cut me a check on the spot for my bike, accessories, and gear...but I had to deal directly with the other parties' insurance for the personal injury claim.

USAA now underwrites their own moto policies in CA, so my current policy is with them. I believe their requirement is 3 years of riding experience.
parainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:27 AM   #17
MSHax
Drive fast & take chances

Motorcycles: Yes, and cars, truck, and a van. :)
Name: Rocky
Quote:
Originally Posted by parainbow View Post
...I believe their requirement is 3 years of riding experience.
..and be in the military, or related to someone who is/was in the military.
I've been riding for 30 years, just don't have any family that has ever been in the military. I had a cousin that occasionally wore a US ARMY shirt that was given to him, but apparently that's not good enough to meet the USAA requirements. They're rated as the best insurance company in America, if anyone knows a loophole to get in, I'd love to hear it

I never understood why people put the bikes they sold on their profile, it's not yours anymore. Plus, if us old guys did that it would be a book.

Last edited by MSHax; 04-05-2016 at 08:30 AM..
MSHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:52 AM   #18
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, RM250
Name: Steve
I almost ran over a CHP moto cop on the freeway in my truck. I felt really really bad. But it taught me to check my blind spot. I'll never forget the Stinkeye he gave me...
Old 04-06-2016, 10:52 PM   #19
Gawernator
Read only user

AMA #: 3223595

Motorcycles: 2015 ZX-6R 636; 2009 250R; 1999 KX125
Name: Andrew
Quote:
I had Progressive through USAA when I was hit by an SUV (which was being operated as a commercial vehicle). They sent an adjuster to my house the day after I was released from the trauma center. He cut me a check on the spot for my bike, accessories, and gear...but I had to deal directly with the other parties' insurance for the personal injury claim.

USAA now underwrites their own moto policies in CA, so my current policy is with them. I believe their requirement is 3 years of riding experience.
Is the rate any better? The website doesn't let you do that. How do you they even verify riding experience? Lol. I was talking about this to another service member and he was saying they don't let you get a policy with them.... I keep hearing it's possible. How
Gawernator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:54 PM   #20
Gawernator
Read only user

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHax View Post
..and be in the military, or related to someone who is/was in the military.
I've been riding for 30 years, just don't have any family that has ever been in the military. I had a cousin that occasionally wore a US ARMY shirt that was given to him, but apparently that's not good enough to meet the USAA requirements. They're rated as the best insurance company in America, if anyone knows a loophole to get in, I'd love to hear it
Want to become brothers for a small fee.

Just kidding.

You could join the Navy
Old 04-07-2016, 10:45 AM   #21
parainbow
Chicks dig squeaky pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawernator View Post
Is the rate any better? The website doesn't let you do that. How do you they even verify riding experience? Lol. I was talking about this to another service member and he was saying they don't let you get a policy with them.... I keep hearing it's possible. How
The rate is a few bucks cheaper, but nothing to get excited about. I switched mainly because their customer service is awesome, I know they won't nickel & dime me on a claim, and I have a multipolicy discount.

I had to call and talk to a rep to get a motorcycle policy added. Just guessing, maybe they don't put it on their site because they don't offer it in all states/cases. They just asked me how long I've had my endorsement. I told them 6 years, they said "good," and they never asked for any documentation.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:15 AM   #22
DLIT

Motorcycles: 2012 1199 Panigale S
Name:
The more Asian drivers I see, the more I think Pearl Harbor was an accident.
DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:04 PM   #23
NB0tt
Veteran

AMA #3302970
1% Contributor

Motorcycles: r dumb
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
The more Asian drivers I see, the more I think Pearl Harbor was an accident.
NB0tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:27 PM   #24
Gawernator
Read only user

Lmao
Old 04-07-2016, 05:28 PM   #25
Gawernator
Read only user

Quote:
The rate is a few bucks cheaper, but nothing to get excited about. I switched mainly because their customer service is awesome, I know they won't nickel & dime me on a claim, and I have a multipolicy discount.

I had to call and talk to a rep to get a motorcycle policy added. Just guessing, maybe they don't put it on their site because they don't offer it in all states/cases. They just asked me how long I've had my endorsement. I told them 6 years, they said "good," and they never asked for any documentation.
Well cool. How did you find a representative? I think the closest is San Diego from here. They do have the best customer service ever... I'll have to wait for my policy to end
Old 04-08-2016, 07:53 AM   #26
carries an axe
meat bone meat meat meat

BARF Moderator
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++++
The Roast in the Shell

Motorcycles: bone meat meat bone
Name: meat
I realize that OP greenlighted the topic but let's keep the race jokes out of ROTM. This is not the sink and people typically come to this subforum in a moment of crisis, seeking support or advice.

thank you
What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms - Thomas Jefferson
carries an axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:00 AM   #27
parainbow
Chicks dig squeaky pants

Quote:
Well cool. How did you find a representative? I think the closest is San Diego from here. They do have the best customer service ever... I'll have to wait for my policy to end
Just call their main customer service line and slog your way through the voice prompts to "add a new vehicle." Or if you're impatient, set your index finger to "burst" and hit 0 til you get a human on the line.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:58 PM   #28
Gawernator
Read only user

Quote:
Just call their main customer service line and slog your way through the voice prompts to "add a new vehicle." Or if you're impatient, set your index finger to "burst" and hit 0 til you get a human on the line.
lmao. I just saw this. I might be able to save with USAA even more. I'll see what they can do. Progressive has been good to me so far. They have separate customer service for USAA members actually.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:27 AM   #29
Enchanter
Ghost in The Machine

AMA #: 2815246
BARF Admin
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2007, 2010, 2014, 2017
Contributor ++++++++++

Motorcycles: Attack™-ed R1 & hybrid S1000rr
Name:
Quote:
lmao. I just saw this. I might be able to save with USAA even more. I'll see what they can do. Progressive has been good to me so far. They have separate customer service for USAA members actually.
I too was pushed to Progressive by USAA. After reading this thread I called USAA and added my motorcycles to my current auto policy I then cancelled my Progressive policy (they sent me a check for the remainder of the year).

My coverage went up, and the annual cost dropped by 50%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
Be resilient. After an unpleasant surprise or close call, get your head back in the game quickly. Learn whatever lesson you can and move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal03 View Post
The panties. Unbunch them.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation tends to be the right one.
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

BARF Terms of Service
Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:00 AM   #30
Gawernator
Read only user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchanter View Post
I too was pushed to Progressive by USAA. After reading this thread I called USAA and added my motorcycles to my current auto policy I then cancelled my Progressive policy (they sent me a check for the remainder of the year).

My coverage went up, and the annual cost dropped by 50%.
Holy crap. That's amazing. Is there any penalty if I cancel right now? I pay quarterly. They just refunded me about $160 for some reason on a phantom plan of sorts for my ninja 300.... They cancelled out my bike when it was wrecked but then somehow the policy re added it self a couple months ago?!?!? Is that weird or what. Could you walk me through what you did and said to cancel with progressive and then get USAA to cover your bike? Instead of being forced to use progressive