BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > BARF Love of Community > Riders On The Mend


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2016, 07:53 AM   #16
parainbow
Chicks dig squeaky pants
 
parainbow's Avatar
 
AMA #: 3203743

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: MoCo
Motorcycles: '16 S1000XR, '13 Ural Gear Up
Name: Paul
I had Progressive through USAA when I was hit by an SUV (which was being operated as a commercial vehicle). They sent an adjuster to my house the day after I was released from the trauma center. He cut me a check on the spot for my bike, accessories, and gear...but I had to deal directly with the other parties' insurance for the personal injury claim.

USAA now underwrites their own moto policies in CA, so my current policy is with them. I believe their requirement is 3 years of riding experience.
parainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:27 AM   #17
MSHax
Drive fast & take chances
 
MSHax's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: East Bay
Motorcycles: Yes, and cars, truck, and a van. :)
Name: Rocky
Quote:
Originally Posted by parainbow View Post
...I believe their requirement is 3 years of riding experience.
..and be in the military, or related to someone who is/was in the military.
I've been riding for 30 years, just don't have any family that has ever been in the military. I had a cousin that occasionally wore a US ARMY shirt that was given to him, but apparently that's not good enough to meet the USAA requirements. They're rated as the best insurance company in America, if anyone knows a loophole to get in, I'd love to hear it
__________________

I never understood why people put the bikes they sold on their profile, it's not yours anymore. Plus, if us old guys did that it would be a book.

Last edited by MSHax; 04-05-2016 at 08:30 AM..
MSHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:52 AM   #18
Maddevill
KNGKAW
 
Maddevill's Avatar
 
AMA #: 542337

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hayward
Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, RM250
Name: Steve
I almost ran over a CHP moto cop on the freeway in my truck. I felt really really bad. But it taught me to check my blind spot. I'll never forget the Stinkeye he gave me...
__________________
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you're built upside down.
Maddevill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:52 PM   #19
Gawernator
Read only user
 
AMA #: 3223595

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hayward
Motorcycles: 2015 ZX-6R 636; 2009 250R; 1999 KX125
Name: Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by parainbow View Post
I had Progressive through USAA when I was hit by an SUV (which was being operated as a commercial vehicle). They sent an adjuster to my house the day after I was released from the trauma center. He cut me a check on the spot for my bike, accessories, and gear...but I had to deal directly with the other parties' insurance for the personal injury claim.

USAA now underwrites their own moto policies in CA, so my current policy is with them. I believe their requirement is 3 years of riding experience.
Is the rate any better? The website doesn't let you do that. How do you they even verify riding experience? Lol. I was talking about this to another service member and he was saying they don't let you get a policy with them.... I keep hearing it's possible. How
Gawernator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:54 PM   #20
Gawernator
Read only user
 
AMA #: 3223595

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hayward
Motorcycles: 2015 ZX-6R 636; 2009 250R; 1999 KX125
Name: Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHax View Post
..and be in the military, or related to someone who is/was in the military.
I've been riding for 30 years, just don't have any family that has ever been in the military. I had a cousin that occasionally wore a US ARMY shirt that was given to him, but apparently that's not good enough to meet the USAA requirements. They're rated as the best insurance company in America, if anyone knows a loophole to get in, I'd love to hear it
Want to become brothers for a small fee.

Just kidding.

You could join the Navy
Gawernator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:45 AM   #21
parainbow
Chicks dig squeaky pants
 
parainbow's Avatar
 
AMA #: 3203743

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: MoCo
Motorcycles: '16 S1000XR, '13 Ural Gear Up
Name: Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawernator View Post
Is the rate any better? The website doesn't let you do that. How do you they even verify riding experience? Lol. I was talking about this to another service member and he was saying they don't let you get a policy with them.... I keep hearing it's possible. How
The rate is a few bucks cheaper, but nothing to get excited about. I switched mainly because their customer service is awesome, I know they won't nickel & dime me on a claim, and I have a multipolicy discount.

I had to call and talk to a rep to get a motorcycle policy added. Just guessing, maybe they don't put it on their site because they don't offer it in all states/cases. They just asked me how long I've had my endorsement. I told them 6 years, they said "good," and they never asked for any documentation.
parainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:15 AM   #22
DLIT
Newbie
 
DLIT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Omaha
Motorcycles: 2012 1199 Panigale S
Name:
The more Asian drivers I see, the more I think Pearl Harbor was an accident.
DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:04 PM   #23
NB0tt
Veteran
 
NB0tt's Avatar
 
AMA #3302970
1% Contributor

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Livergulch
Motorcycles: r dumb
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
The more Asian drivers I see, the more I think Pearl Harbor was an accident.
NB0tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:27 PM   #24
Gawernator
Read only user
 
AMA #: 3223595

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hayward
Motorcycles: 2015 ZX-6R 636; 2009 250R; 1999 KX125
Name: Andrew
Lmao
Gawernator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:28 PM   #25
Gawernator
Read only user
 
AMA #: 3223595

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hayward
Motorcycles: 2015 ZX-6R 636; 2009 250R; 1999 KX125
Name: Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by parainbow View Post
The rate is a few bucks cheaper, but nothing to get excited about. I switched mainly because their customer service is awesome, I know they won't nickel & dime me on a claim, and I have a multipolicy discount.

I had to call and talk to a rep to get a motorcycle policy added. Just guessing, maybe they don't put it on their site because they don't offer it in all states/cases. They just asked me how long I've had my endorsement. I told them 6 years, they said "good," and they never asked for any documentation.
Well cool. How did you find a representative? I think the closest is San Diego from here. They do have the best customer service ever... I'll have to wait for my policy to end
Gawernator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:53 AM   #26
carries an axe
meat bone meat meat meat
 
carries an axe's Avatar
 
BARF Moderator
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++++
The Roast in the Shell

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: meat
Motorcycles: bone meat meat bone
Name: meat
I realize that OP greenlighted the topic but let's keep the race jokes out of ROTM. This is not the sink and people typically come to this subforum in a moment of crisis, seeking support or advice.

thank you
__________________
BARF TOS
Be a barf sponsor
Dropcopter
What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms - Thomas Jefferson
carries an axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:00 AM   #27
parainbow
Chicks dig squeaky pants
 
parainbow's Avatar
 
AMA #: 3203743

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: MoCo
Motorcycles: '16 S1000XR, '13 Ural Gear Up
Name: Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawernator View Post
Well cool. How did you find a representative? I think the closest is San Diego from here. They do have the best customer service ever... I'll have to wait for my policy to end
Just call their main customer service line and slog your way through the voice prompts to "add a new vehicle." Or if you're impatient, set your index finger to "burst" and hit 0 til you get a human on the line.
parainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:58 PM   #28
Gawernator
Read only user
 
AMA #: 3223595

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hayward
Motorcycles: 2015 ZX-6R 636; 2009 250R; 1999 KX125
Name: Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by parainbow View Post
Just call their main customer service line and slog your way through the voice prompts to "add a new vehicle." Or if you're impatient, set your index finger to "burst" and hit 0 til you get a human on the line.
lmao. I just saw this. I might be able to save with USAA even more. I'll see what they can do. Progressive has been good to me so far. They have separate customer service for USAA members actually.
Gawernator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:27 AM   #29
Enchanter
Ghost in The Machine
 
Enchanter's Avatar
 
AMA #: 2815246
BARF Admin
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2007, 2010, 2014, 2017
Contributor ++++++++++

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Motorcycles: Attack™-ed R1 & hybrid S1000rr
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawernator View Post
lmao. I just saw this. I might be able to save with USAA even more. I'll see what they can do. Progressive has been good to me so far. They have separate customer service for USAA members actually.
I too was pushed to Progressive by USAA. After reading this thread I called USAA and added my motorcycles to my current auto policy I then cancelled my Progressive policy (they sent me a check for the remainder of the year).

My coverage went up, and the annual cost dropped by 50%.
__________________
A superior rider uses superior judgment to avoid situations that require superior skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
Be resilient. After an unpleasant surprise or close call, get your head back in the game quickly. Learn whatever lesson you can and move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal03 View Post
The panties. Unbunch them.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation tends to be the right one.
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.


BARF Terms of Service
Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:00 AM   #30
Gawernator
Read only user
 
AMA #: 3223595

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hayward
Motorcycles: 2015 ZX-6R 636; 2009 250R; 1999 KX125
Name: Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchanter View Post
I too was pushed to Progressive by USAA. After reading this thread I called USAA and added my motorcycles to my current auto policy I then cancelled my Progressive policy (they sent me a check for the remainder of the year).

My coverage went up, and the annual cost dropped by 50%.
Holy crap. That's amazing. Is there any penalty if I cancel right now? I pay quarterly. They just refunded me about $160 for some reason on a phantom plan of sorts for my ninja 300.... They cancelled out my bike when it was wrecked but then somehow the policy re added it self a couple months ago?!?!? Is that weird or what. Could you walk me through what you did and said to cancel with progressive and then get USAA to cover your bike? Instead of being forced to use progressive
Gawernator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.