Old 05-31-2018, 12:40 PM   #31
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
Contributor +++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
Honking and flashing your lights is very rude. Have a little patience and the split will always open up.
Every time you get on your bike you become an ambassador for the rest of us.
Act accordingly.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:50 PM   #32
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, RM250
Name: Steve
While I agree that big rigs are a special hazard, many of those crashes where a big rig was involved, the rider was injured AFTER he crashed with an ordinary car. I've been riding awhile and I do ride a sporty pace in the hills but, in my opinion, there are a LOT of riders splitting with a very high delta. I see it every day. I guess until they get involved in an accident , it means nothing to them.

Mad
Old 06-03-2018, 05:51 AM   #33
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 1090 Adv R
Name: =Username
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddevill View Post
While I agree that big rigs are a special hazard, many of those crashes where a big rig was involved, the rider was injured AFTER he crashed with an ordinary car.
I think the main point of not splitting past big rigs is that if something goes wrong you've greatly increased your chances of serious injury or death. So even if it's a car that you tangle with, you're more likely to die going under the wheels of a big rig.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:09 AM   #34
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, RM250
Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
I think the main point of not splitting past big rigs is that if something goes wrong you've greatly increased your chances of serious injury or death. So even if it's a car that you tangle with, you're more likely to die going under the wheels of a big rig.
That's fine but how about riding so you don't get tangled with a car in the first place ? Semi's are part of the highway. We have to deal with them.

Mad
Old 06-04-2018, 08:22 AM   #35
Enchanter
Ghost in The Machine

AMA #: 2815246
BARF Admin
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2007, 2010, 2014, 2017
Contributor ++++++++++

Motorcycles: Attackô-ed R1 & hybrid S1000rr
Name:
The techniques you two are sharing are not mutually exclusive.

I split all the time. I never split past semi tractor-trailers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
Be resilient. After an unpleasant surprise or close call, get your head back in the game quickly. Learn whatever lesson you can and move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal03 View Post
The panties. Unbunch them.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation tends to be the right one.
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

BARF Terms of Service
Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:04 AM   #36
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
I will pull back in line as well.
One tip over being fatal is just not worth the risk.
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:45 AM   #37
Hoppalong
Veteran

Motorcycles: hare and hound, enduro, adventure
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
One tip over being fatal is just not worth the risk.
I think for many riders it's not even about getting somewhere a few seconds quicker. They get caught up in the adrenaline-rush of it.
Hoppalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:19 AM   #38
Enchanter
Ghost in The Machine

AMA #: 2815246
BARF Admin
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2007, 2010, 2014, 2017
Contributor ++++++++++

Motorcycles: Attackô-ed R1 & hybrid S1000rr
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppalong View Post
I think for many riders it's not even about getting somewhere a few seconds quicker. They get caught up in the adrenaline-rush of it.
I tend to agree with you. I've recently met a few riders that indicated that a) you have to lanesplit, and b) cars are supposed to get out your way / create space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
Be resilient. After an unpleasant surprise or close call, get your head back in the game quickly. Learn whatever lesson you can and move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal03 View Post
The panties. Unbunch them.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation tends to be the right one.
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

BARF Terms of Service
Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:15 PM   #39
PorradaVFR
The Temptations of Christ

Motorcycles: 2004 Honda VFR 800A, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S (sold), 2004 Honda VFR 800 (RIP) :(
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post

A pet peeve of mine is the people who swerve sharply onto the shoulder at the last minute to give you room. [....] It also tells me they have no depth perspective, because 9 times out of 10 it's someone in a Nissan Leaf, Mini Cooper, Prius, or other tiny car that barely takes up half a lane to begin with.
Exactly!! Iíll split past a far larger car thatís far closer to the lane marker with no problem - then the person in the tiny clown car moves 10í over (I mean, thanks?) abruptly and recklessly.

Every.

Damn.

Time.

"I don't think anyone should ever take my advice." - KILLAKEYES
================================
Witty comment. [citation needed]
================================
PorradaVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:53 AM   #40
Five Apples

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 85 GPZ900R, 99 SV650 (track)
Name: Bieff
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorradaVFR View Post
Exactly!! Iíll split past a far larger car thatís far closer to the lane marker with no problem - then the person in the tiny clown car moves 10í over (I mean, thanks?) abruptly and recklessly.

Every.

Damn.

Time.

Omg, seriously! I appreciate the gesture, I guess... but I can't tell you how many blank stares I get when I tell people I prefer them to keep going their course and NOT pull 3/4 of the way onto the fucking shoulder to "make room" for me splitting. I know where the ends of my bike are, and there's plenty of room for both of us... if there isn't, I'll wait! No need to recklessly jerk over to make more room. 99% of the time that extra room isn't needed. And, worst case, you pop a tire, freak out other drivers not paying attention, etc. Not worth it. Just keep in your cage!
295566 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:06 PM   #41
Hoppalong
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 295566 View Post
... but I can't tell you how many blank stares I get when I tell people I prefer them...
They're not staring at you blankly, they're staring at you in disbelief (as am I).
Old 06-05-2018, 07:10 PM   #42
mjj
Cookie

Motorcycles: '96 R1100RT
Name:
We need to require sailing lessons before issuing DL's, where the concept of "standing on" is as important as giving way.

Besides, everyone would be happier.
mjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:46 AM   #43
Five Apples

Contributor +

Quote:
They're not staring at you blankly, they're staring at you in disbelief (as am I).
So you'd prefer when people erratically swerve out of the way for you when you're splitting, as opposed to staying where they are and being predictable? The lanes in CA are plenty wide enough for both a car and motorcycle to fit. No reason for them to swerve out of the way for us, and again, I'd prefer predictability over crazy movements that can confuse or scare other inattentive drivers.

I'd genuinely like to hear your reasoning behind this.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:16 AM   #44
Hoppalong
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 295566 View Post
So you'd prefer when people erratically swerve out of the way for you when you're splitting, as opposed to staying where they are and being predictable? The lanes in CA are plenty wide enough for both a car and motorcycle to fit. No reason for them to swerve out of the way for us, and again, I'd prefer predictability over crazy movements that can confuse or scare other inattentive drivers.

I'd genuinely like to hear your reasoning behind this.
What you call "erratically swerve out of the way" I call acknowledging my presence and extending courtesy to me.

What you call "staying where they are and being predictable" might actually be that they don't know I'm there, or worse.

And as to why they might be staring in disbelief? you're talking about forcing your way into their already established lane position. You're like the ungrateful house guest that complains about the accommodations.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:39 AM   #45
Five Apples

Contributor +

Quote:
What you call "erratically swerve out of the way" I call acknowledging my presence and extending courtesy to me.

What you call "staying where they are and being predictable" might actually be that they don't know I'm there, or worse.

And as to why they might be staring in disbelief? you're talking about forcing your way into their already established lane position. You're like the ungrateful house guest that complains about the accommodations.
Now you're making statements about my character?

Look how much fuckin' room there is in those CA lanes. As stated above, plenty of room for a motorycle and car to occupy that space, without either having to alter their path. Sure, the thought is nice, but I'd rather them drive predictably. Unpredictable behavior is what causes collisions, and in case you haven't heard, those usually end up poorly for motorcyclists.

EDIT: I think you're confused.

I'm not saying ALL PEOPLE THAT PULL OVER A BIT ARE BAD. I don't mind that. What I'm really saying is those people who are driving, don't see you until you're at their rear bumper, then swerve into the shoulder quickly to "make room." IMO that's not "acknowledging my presence and extending courtesy to me," it's erratic and unpredictable, and I'd rather prefer they stay where they're at.

Last edited by 295566; 06-06-2018 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: Additional information