BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Crash Analysis


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2018, 10:50 AM   #1
Alekos
Spartan
 
Alekos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Berkeley
Motorcycles: Street Triple R, S1000RR
Name: Alexandros
Thunderhill Highside Turn 2 4/1/2018


youtu.be/s57i5iS60Ws

Quick summary: Session 5, 3rd lap, Group A. Screwed up my line and run wide on Turn 2 (needed to trail brake more probably?), tried to fix the line by increasing lean, however I added a tiny bit more lean as I came on the gas, scraped the peg or boot, the rear lost traction (you can see how much the bike turned, it probably lifted a bit), as soon as it regained traction I went over since I did not stand up (was at full lean).

No major injuries besides some bad bruises and swelling around the right ankle and hand. My helmet and right glove are done. Back protector did a good job. Dainese suit needs some work. Bike is not that bad, track fairings held up well, need clip on and rearset and make sure the front is straight.

Comments and criticism (constructive and destructive) will be highly appreciated.

Last edited by Alekos; 04-02-2018 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: Embed video
Alekos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:21 AM   #2
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors
 
Smash Allen's Avatar
 
AMA #: 3283336
Contributor ++

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Concord
Motorcycles: S1000RR, FZ09, SV650, YZ250
Name: Chris
glad you are mostly okay!

with my limited experience it looks like you added a bit more than maintenance throttle after you let off the brakes

your line looks okay with an early apex but the bike wanted to go a bit wide before the second apex and you didn't let it

where were your eyes? had you found the exit apex?
Smash Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:44 AM   #3
Alekos
Spartan
 
Alekos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Berkeley
Motorcycles: Street Triple R, S1000RR
Name: Alexandros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash Allen View Post
glad you are mostly okay!

with my limited experience it looks like you added a bit more than maintenance throttle after you let off the brakes

your line looks okay with an early apex but the bike wanted to go a bit wide before the second apex and you didn't let it

where were your eyes? had you found the exit apex?
It is very likely that my eyes got fixated on the rider in front of me at turn entry (trying to stay with him or catch up). Once I run wide I aimed for the exit apex, but I think you make a good point, I should have been more patient and let the bike run a bit wide and also my throttle input could have been smoother at that point.
Alekos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:08 PM   #4
thedub
Octane Socks
 
thedub's Avatar
 
AMA #: 2952025

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Motorcycles: R6, Tiger 800, KTM 500, KTM 350
Name: Wiles
Ouch, punishment didn't fit the crime on that one. If you just had a tiny bit less lean angle, or waited a fraction of a second longer to get direction before going back to the throttle you would have gotten away with that mistake. This is why degree of application matters as the pace picks up or the grip is down.
__________________
AFM #77, D36 #166N
Thanks for the support;
Sidi|Motion Pro|C@TT|Vortex|Shoei
thedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:23 PM   #5
stangmx13
not Stan
 
stangmx13's Avatar
 
Contributor
BrotoGP

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego CA
Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
ya, u def got off the brakes too early. when u are wide, its not a terrible idea to continue to hold that tiny bit of brake pressure until u get back on line. that way u get back to the grippy part of the track without changing inputs AND it forces u to delay your exit until everything is back to normal.

u added throttle and lean angle at the same time in T1 as well. you didnt get much turning done early because u got off the brakes way too soon and your line was wide.
__________________
BrotoGP Podcast and on Youtube
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex

Last edited by stangmx13; 04-02-2018 at 12:27 PM..
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:33 PM   #6
jaybocc2
o lento
 
AMA #3692962

Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: sunnyvale
Motorcycles: 05 zx10r (street), 11 zx10r (track), 13 zx10r (race)
Name: Jay
Agree with the above. At that entry speed i would have personally trailed in farther and been much smoother and a bit later with the transition to maintenance throttle (and less at that).

Hope you recover quickly! Glad you didn't bust yourself up or the bike too badly.
__________________
AFM #705 | youtube | instagram | facebook

Please give some love to my 2019 Sponsors!
Daredevil Motorsports | Amsoil | SPY Optic | GoPro
jaybocc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:04 PM   #7
afm199
Veteran
 
afm199's Avatar
 
Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oaklamd
Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
All good advice, about lean angle and throttle application.
__________________
That's not true! The lie is actually the truth! I know. Lots of people know this.
afm199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:54 PM   #8
khill
Veteran
 
khill's Avatar
 
BARF Community Partner
Founding Member
1% Contributor

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 95776
Motorcycles: Yes
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
Ouch, punishment didn't fit the crime on that one. If you just had a tiny bit less lean angle, or waited a fraction of a second longer to get direction before going back to the throttle you would have gotten away with that mistake. This is why degree of application matters as the pace picks up or the grip is down.
Correct!
__________________
www.khcoaching.com
khill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:31 AM   #9
RV6John
Rookie
 

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Motorcycles: GSXR 750, Z1000, SXV550, DR650, KTM525SMR
Name:
Thanks for sharing.

Did you have any rider aids on the bike disengaged or set to a low threshold?

I'm trying to learn what the limits are to some of the technologies.
RV6John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:03 PM   #10
Alekos
Spartan
 
Alekos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Berkeley
Motorcycles: Street Triple R, S1000RR
Name: Alexandros
Thank you all for the comments, they are super useful and point out things that I need to patiently work on. It's the first time I reach this pace and I believe that due to my inexperience I was rushing to get back on the throttle in order to attempt to stay with the faster rider in front of me (even though I did repeat these mistakes several times that day).
Also, it is obvious to me now that as you push the pace more the refinement and smoothness of your inputs becomes extremely critical, as the bike is not as forgiving to less refined inputs compared to riding at a more relaxed pace :-)
In summary, slowing down a bit in order to work on a) the right time to get off the brakes when trail braking and b) smoothly transitioning to maintance throttle, seem like good things to focus on for now before picking up the pace again.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RV6John View Post
Thanks for sharing.

Did you have any rider aids on the bike disengaged or set to a low threshold?

I'm trying to learn what the limits are to some of the technologies.
To the contrary, the bike was in Race mode and not Slick mode. The traction control is a bit more intrusive in that mode, but it has actually saved me a couple of times on turn exit when opening the throttle too abruptly at high lean angles. This time was a bit different (!!) due to scraping the peg/boot. Wheelie control is pretty aggressive in Race mode, but I don't mind that for now. Finally, Slick mode has a bit more immediate throttle response, but given my skill level at throttle input, I thought it was better to stay in Race for now. That being said, even though I have tried adjusting the throttle free play, there is still kind of a weird dead band at the beginning of the twist in Race mode, which sometimes makes it hard to find smooth maintenance throttle, so maybe Slick mode would make more sense...
Alekos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:53 AM   #11
afm199
Veteran
 
afm199's Avatar
 
Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oaklamd
Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekos View Post




To the contrary, the bike was in Race mode and not Slick mode. The traction control is a bit more intrusive in that mode, but it has actually saved me a couple of times on turn exit when opening the throttle too abruptly at high lean angles. .
I'd venture to say that the most important thing you can learn from this is a simple expression: " See your exit, take away lean angle, add throttle."
The second part is important. At high lean angle your traction is impaired and it's super easy to spin up a tire. Thus:" Take away lean angle, add throttle."

Thanks to Ken Hill.
__________________
That's not true! The lie is actually the truth! I know. Lots of people know this.
afm199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:45 AM   #12
Sportbiker
Slow
 
Sportbiker's Avatar
 
Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + + + + + + + + + 2%

Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Bay Area
Motorcycles: Dirt, Street & Track
Name:
Glad you are okay and thanks for sharing.

What was your traction control level set to?
Sportbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:53 AM   #13
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors
 
Smash Allen's Avatar
 
AMA #: 3283336
Contributor ++

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Concord
Motorcycles: S1000RR, FZ09, SV650, YZ250
Name: Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportbiker View Post
Glad you are okay and thanks for sharing.

What was your traction control level set to?
he was in race mode and his foot levered the rear off the ground

rain -> sport -> race -> slick (+/-7)

Last edited by Smash Allen; 04-05-2018 at 09:55 AM..
Smash Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:24 AM   #14
scotinexcile
Veteran
 
scotinexcile's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Reno
Motorcycles: Street: 2017 R6, 1982 RD350LC
Name: Alan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekos View Post

youtu.be/s57i5iS60Ws

Quick summary: Session 5, 3rd lap, Group A. Screwed up my line and run wide on Turn 2 (needed to trail brake more probably?), tried to fix the line by increasing lean, however I added a tiny bit more lean as I came on the gas, scraped the peg or boot, the rear lost traction (you can see how much the bike turned, it probably lifted a bit), as soon as it regained traction I went over since I did not stand up (was at full lean).

No major injuries besides some bad bruises and swelling around the right ankle and hand. My helmet and right glove are done. Back protector did a good job. Dainese suit needs some work. Bike is not that bad, track fairings held up well, need clip on and rearset and make sure the front is straight.

Comments and criticism (constructive and destructive) will be highly appreciated.
It looks like your turn in rate was little slow which caused you to miss the "first" apex"(we can get into the whole is turn 2 1 turn or 2 turns argument later)
I would start listing to all the Ken Hill pop casts and you will get a lot of great information from them. Might just be me but looked like you were a gear to low, looking at the Rev counter. What gear were you in?
Ken/YCRA talk a LOT about 100 points of grip I would rather take that conversation off thread as it is not directly germane to this discussion

It is great that you are trying to learn from your mistake, that shows a level of maturity that a lot of track riders dont have. Video means no where to hide
scotinexcile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:15 PM   #15
jmann
Rookie
 

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: cali
Motorcycles: sport
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotinexcile View Post
It looks like your turn in rate was little slow which caused you to miss the "first" apex"(we can get into the whole is turn 2 1 turn or 2 turns argument later)
I would start listing to all the Ken Hill pop casts and you will get a lot of great information from them. Might just be me but looked like you were a gear to low, looking at the Rev counter. What gear were you in?
Ken/YCRA talk a LOT about 100 points of grip I would rather take that conversation off thread as it is not directly germane to this discussion

It is great that you are trying to learn from your mistake, that shows a level of maturity that a lot of track riders dont have. Video means no where to hide

A gear to low? Sometimes I wonder what gear to take going into a corner also. Are you implying it’s better to get the RPM down and be in a higher gear? I’m still slow, but usually try to have the RPM in the higher range when entering a corner. Am I doing it wrong? Thanks.
jmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.