BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Riding Skills

Old 01-08-2019, 04:02 AM   #16
chukwu

Motorcycles: Ninja 250 2009
Name:
I road again today... it was much better than my past attempts.. I believe I went 30 35ish.. I didn’t really look at my speed I just tried to keep my head up... I messed up at a stop sign tho.. I believe it was because I didn’t roll my throttle.. also I when to the 3 gear for the first time.. I was a weird.. overall I feel I progressed (other then that stop sign thing) man thanks if u have anymore advice I’m all ears and I think I will take another msp course so I’m ready to ride to school when my semester starts..
chukwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:43 AM   #17
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchanter View Post
A tight grip / tense muscles is usually a symptom of a different issue rather than the actual problem itself.

For new riders, this is almost always caused by the failure to look farther / far enough ahead. The sensation of (high) speed will diminish if you get your head and eyes up and look at the horizon and not down at the road surface. Once it appears that you aren't speeding, you will likely relax your grip and stress level will drop too.

Another thing I have seen is newer riders concentrating on their actual speed, i.e. looking at the speedometer. If you are doing that, a temporary trick to that is to put some tape over it so that you cannot see the actual speed.
This.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:47 AM   #18
Junkie
gone for now

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: n/a
Name:
When you say that you messed up at a stop sign, you mean that you stalled?
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:51 AM   #19
chukwu

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
When you say that you messed up at a stop sign, you mean that you stalled?
No I just couldnít slow down and stop completely... I believe itís because I didnít drop my gears before reaching the stop sign.. I was still on 3rd...
Old 01-10-2019, 09:02 AM   #20
Junkie
gone for now

Contributor + 3%

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chukwu View Post
No I just couldnít slow down and stop completely... I believe itís because I didnít drop my gears before reaching the stop sign.. I was still on 3rd...
Even if you're in 3rd, you can pull in the clutch and come to a stop.

If your skill level is such that you're accidentally blowing stop signs, I think you need significantly more practice in parking lots before doing any more riding on the street.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:58 AM   #21
JMardy
More head - less ass

Contributor + + + 4%

Motorcycles: MG Griso 1200SE, KTM 690 Endouro/SMC, '05 BMW BCR, '10 KTM 990 SMT
Name: Haywood
If reading works for you, there is a wealth of really great information here:
https://www.totalcontroltraining.net/about/the-book

https://www.amazon.com/Total-Control...dp/0760343446/
JMardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:08 AM   #22
JMardy
More head - less ass

Contributor + + + 4%

Motorcycles: MG Griso 1200SE, KTM 690 Endouro/SMC, '05 BMW BCR, '10 KTM 990 SMT
Name: Haywood
Quote:
Even if you're in 3rd, you can pull in the clutch and come to a stop.

If your skill level is such that you're accidentally blowing stop signs, I think you need significantly more practice in parking lots before doing any more riding on the street.
+1
You do have your license, right? I think you would really benefit from some proper instruction such as:
https://www.totalcontroltraining.net...-riding-clinic
JMardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:13 PM   #23
chukwu

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMardy View Post
+1
You do have your license, right? I think you would really benefit from some proper instruction such as:
https://www.totalcontroltraining.net...-riding-clinic
I already did some basic training cmsp ... umm I never really when as fast as before so I think fear was mostly my problem and I didnít prepare my speed timely... also maybe u think I sped through the sign at like 30ish mph I when through it but if the was like a car so something I couldíve like stop but awkwardly pass the sign in the crosswalk..
... ohh and itís been 3 days since that happened I donít have problems stopping at the same stop sign..
Old 01-10-2019, 06:37 PM   #24
Junkie
gone for now

Contributor + 3%

Name:
It's far better to stop awkwardly in the crosswalk in 3rd gear than it is to blow a stop sign, especially at 30.

You need more training and practice before riding on the street if you'd rather not die.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:47 PM   #25
jacob11379
Banned

Motorcycles: Race 2017 ZX10RR, Track 13 ZX10R
Name: jacob
Quote:
Originally Posted by chukwu View Post
I already did some basic training cmsp ... umm I never really when as fast as before so I think fear was mostly my problem and I didnít prepare my speed timely... also maybe u think I sped through the sign at like 30ish mph I when through it but if the was like a car so something I couldíve like stop but awkwardly pass the sign in the crosswalk..
... ohh and itís been 3 days since that happened I donít have problems stopping at the same stop sign..
Might be a good idea to find a parking lot and just accelerate and brake, make sure tires are warmed up and go a little faster and brake, and brake and brake!

Chances are you not even coming close to the potential braking ability of the bike.

Do you know any other riders close to you that you can ride with? Maybe they can help you understand braking when you see them do it...

You REALLY should try to dial in the brakes, you WILL need to be able to use them. Im not trying to bust your ass, I understand we make mistakes, post things we wish we didnt as everyone just keeps going back to it, but this is literally life and death! Saying that you are now stopping at the sign doesnt mean you learned anything new about braking it just means you know where the stop sign is. Our concern is that you would need the brakes when your not expecting it...

While what everybody said is great advice I would add that you probably feel like you are going so fast because you are one with the outside for the first time in your life. We have a sense of security when in vehicles but motorcycles take that feeling away. it takes time to get used to....
jacob11379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:05 PM   #26
motomania2007
MSF/MTC CMSP Instructor

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
Contact some of the CMSP training sites. They offer one on one, by the hour training. You can use your bike or the training bikes.

I know this is offered by Pacific Motorcycle Training in South SF and San Jose. It is also offered by Two Wheel Safety Training in Newark, Santa Clara (Mission college) and south san Jose at coyote campus of Gavilan college

<stands, raises hand> Hello, my name is George and I am a motorcycle addict!

Please come to one of my MSF, Total Control or CMSP classes and allow me to share my addiction with you.
Total Control MTC, IRC and ARC instructor

http://www.valleymotorcycletraining.com/signup.html

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
motomania2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:25 PM   #27
chukwu

Name:
Quote:
It's far better to stop awkwardly in the crosswalk in 3rd gear than it is to blow a stop sign, especially at 30.

You need more training and practice before riding on the street if you'd rather not die.
ďMaybe u think I sped through the sign at 30Ē I as I said before I think ur miss reading the situation but thanks everyone else for the advice I used it well today made the same trip much more confident and comfortable.. I still have same lingering fear but Iím keeping my head up and processing thing much earlier then before..
Old 01-10-2019, 09:37 PM   #28
chukwu

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob11379 View Post
Might be a good idea to find a parking lot and just accelerate and brake, make sure tires are warmed up and go a little faster and brake, and brake and brake!

Chances are you not even coming close to the potential braking ability of the bike.

Do you know any other riders close to you that you can ride with? Maybe they can help you understand braking when you see them do it...

You REALLY should try to dial in the brakes, you WILL need to be able to use them. Im not trying to bust your ass, I understand we make mistakes, post things we wish we didnt as everyone just keeps going back to it, but this is literally life and death! Saying that you are now stopping at the sign doesnt mean you learned anything new about braking it just means you know where the stop sign is. Our concern is that you would need the brakes when your not expecting it...

While what everybody said is great advice I would add that you probably feel like you are going so fast because you are one with the outside for the first time in your life. We have a sense of security when in vehicles but motorcycles take that feeling away. it takes time to get used to....
Yea I trying to get to point where I could actually make it to the parking lot at city college (where I took my cmsp) and really get to know my bike. I live kinda far from it and there not any open lots where I am far as I know... the route Iím been practicing is pretty empty but there are a good amount of hills so I had to get good with my throttle (with I did) and astraight area where I can gain speed.. I donít have money to pay for classes at the moment college semester is coming.. but Iím not riding anywhere advanced Iím just going where I feel comfortable.. I do need a space to practice my fast breaks and swerves(because there were fun at the cmsp)
So yea practice basically lol thatís what Iíve been doing just to clarify...
Old 01-10-2019, 09:49 PM   #29
chukwu

Name:
Actually anyone still still reading this have experience practicing in a schools parking lots.. there’s one kinda close to my house with a pretty big lot... but I don’t want the get the police called on me or whatever.. are public schools private property.. it’s pretty empty at nights just one car there all the time (probably the janitor )

Last edited by chukwu; 01-10-2019 at 10:21 PM..
Old 01-10-2019, 11:44 PM   #30
motomania2007
MSF/MTC CMSP Instructor

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
You can ride in school parking lots

<stands, raises hand> Hello, my name is George and I am a motorcycle addict!

Please come to one of my MSF, Total Control or CMSP classes and allow me to share my addiction with you.
Total Control MTC, IRC and ARC instructor

http://www.valleymotorcycletraining.com/signup.html

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
motomania2007 is offline   Reply With Quote