BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Riding Skills

Old 03-05-2019, 11:02 AM   #1
jacob11379
Banned

Motorcycles: Race 2017 ZX10RR, Track 13 ZX10R
Name: jacob
Body position

I rode T-hill yesterday. was a bit cold so I wasnt pushing it very hard after last weekends low side. Ironically I did do a 2:13 which is 2 seconds faster than my known fastest(following someone with a lap timer) so that was pretty cool....

Anyways, I put go pro facing my rear end for a session as I have never watched my body position. Honestly, this stuff is pretty boring to watch but it would it would be great to get some constructive feedback as I want to get better.

I dont know if it shows enough to even do that.

There is one thing that I know I do differently than I have seen it discussed anyway. and that is I dont put my body in turning position before braking but rather just before turn in. For whatever reason I have not figured out how to brake hard while my body is set up for turning.

video starts slow as i am waiting for someone. if you start at 6:00 minutes in I am just starting a new lap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD1m...ature=youtu.be
jacob11379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:10 AM   #2
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
I noticed that mostly exiting T13 and T15. I suggest you consider that it's easy and possible to move your butt ( notice I said butt, not entire body) over much earlier in those two instances. We all drop our upper body somewhat initiating turn in, but getting your butt over minimized the amount of body weight movement and bike upset that has to be done. I have my butt over way before the start finish tower and way before the bridge for T14.

O, you are really late in getting on the throttle on exits, start winding on as soon as you start taking away lean angle.

Use more front brake, don't depend on engine braking so much.

Last edited by afm199; 03-05-2019 at 11:15 AM..
afm199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:04 PM   #3
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
I used to brake like that, moving my butt after starting to brake. once I mentally committed to never doing it again, it took about half a trackday to get used to the better way. move your butt BEFORE braking, almost always.

in a few corners, u increased lean angle all the way to the exit curb while doing various things with the throttle. do not do this. lean angle increases to your apex and decreases after. if u can't make the corner with removing lean angle after the apex, u are going to fast for your skill.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex

Last edited by stangmx13; 03-05-2019 at 12:59 PM..
stangmx13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:49 PM   #4
mxrider89
just another dude

4% Contributor

Motorcycles: Daytona 675R CR125 EXC450 YSR50
Name: Colton
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
in a few corners, u increased lean angle all the way to the exit curb while doing various things with the throttle. do not do this..

This
Rip #69

Last edited by mxrider89; 03-05-2019 at 12:52 PM..
mxrider89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:57 PM   #5
jaybocc2
o lento

AMA #3692962

Motorcycles: 05 zx10r (street), 11 zx10r (track), 13 zx10r (race)
Name: Jay
You're riding a bit crossed up in what i watched of the video.
Most likely your inside arm is too stiff and your body movement timing is a little intrusive / poor and will lead to more significant problems disrupting the bike as you get faster.

Here is my personal formula for a corner.

1. WOT down straight - acquiring my references.
2. When i've gathered my references and decide that it is time to brake, i shift my butt in the direction of the turn (ONLY my butt)
3. Sit up (air brake?) and smoothly apply the brakes (i use both f&r)
4. As speed is shed and i begin turning in i will begin to "pull" my head toward the handle bar of the direction of the turn.
5. Slowly and smoothly trail off the brakes until change of direction is complete.
6. Once my knee touches or i apex the turn, i'll pull my knee into the tank, load up the pegs and drop my shoulders in preparation for exit.
7.depending on the demands of the corner, remove lean angle, and begin smooth roll on of throttle.
8. My goal is to maximize my exit and use as much of the track as i need (note, not all of the track all the time... and only as much as my exit requires... sometimes my drive doesn't require going all the way to the curb, and sometimes its not the line you want/need/have availble)
9. smooth continuous roll on until WOT.
10. RINSE & REPEAT.
AFM #705 | youtube | instagram | facebook

Please give some love to my 2019 Sponsors!
Daredevil Motorsports | Amsoil | SPY Optic | GoPro

Last edited by jaybocc2; 03-05-2019 at 01:12 PM..
jaybocc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:08 PM   #6
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

making sure to go to WOT whenever u accelerate is one of the easiest ways to cut a lot of time. slightly more difficult, it also forces the rider to use the brakes because of all the extra straight speed. that generates more front tire heat, providing more grip. its all a win-win-win.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:11 PM   #7
jaybocc2
o lento

AMA #3692962

Motorcycles: 05 zx10r (street), 11 zx10r (track), 13 zx10r (race)
Name: Jay
Quote:
making sure to go to WOT whenever u accelerate is one of the easiest ways to cut a lot of time. slightly more difficult, it also forces the rider to use the brakes because of all the extra straight speed. that generates more front tire heat, providing more grip. its all a win-win-win.
Agreed, like 14 to 15... i go WOT, even if its just a short blip to WOT and back into turning the bike.
AFM #705 | youtube | instagram | facebook

Please give some love to my 2019 Sponsors!
Daredevil Motorsports | Amsoil | SPY Optic | GoPro
jaybocc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:15 PM   #8
Phanuel
Confused

Motorcycles: Something crippled
Name:
Quote:
in a few corners, u increased lean angle all the way to the exit curb while doing various things with the throttle. do not do this. lean angle increases to your apex and decreases after. if u can't make the corner with removing lean angle after the apex, u are going to fast for your skill.
Apex or slowest point in the corner? I think the terminology matters depending on the corner and the two being usually different points in a corner or how we define apex.

Is apex the closest point to the track? Or is apex the apex of your turn where you're going the slowest and transitioning from brakes back to throttle?
Phanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:30 PM   #9
jacob11379
Banned

Quote:
I used to brake like that, moving my butt after starting to brake. once I mentally committed to never doing it again, it took about half a trackday to get used to the better way. move your butt BEFORE braking, almost always.

Do you have a time stamp on when I did this? So I can better understand where I did it at.

For what its worth this was the first time I rode this bike so I was trying to get the throttle dialed.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:22 PM   #10
jacob11379
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
I noticed that mostly exiting T13 and T15. I suggest you consider that it's easy and possible to move your butt ( notice I said butt, not entire body) over much earlier in those two instances. We all drop our upper body somewhat initiating turn in, but getting your butt over minimized the amount of body weight movement and bike upset that has to be done. I have my butt over way before the start finish tower and way before the bridge for T14.

O, you are really late in getting on the throttle on exits, start winding on as soon as you start taking away lean angle.

Use more front brake, don't depend on engine braking so much.
Great advice!
Old 03-05-2019, 07:30 PM   #11
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuel View Post
Apex or slowest point in the corner? I think the terminology matters depending on the corner and the two being usually different points in a corner or how we define apex.

Is apex the closest point to the track? Or is apex the apex of your turn where you're going the slowest and transitioning from brakes back to throttle?
generally, what I said applies to all the situations u presented because the apex is very often the slowest point of the corner. IMO, thats good enough for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob11379 View Post
Do you have a time stamp on when I did this? So I can better understand where I did it at.

For what its worth this was the first time I rode this bike so I was trying to get the throttle dialed.
T6-T8 stood out on the lap starting at 6:00. its not surprising since u overslowed for the whole section, making it "easy" to continue to add lean angle and/or speed. but u rly don't want to enforce bad techniques now because they'll bite u later as u try to go faster.

I could probably find more instances of this if u want.

ull probably spend the next few years getting the throttle dialed as you learn to ride on track. so don't let that thought be an excuse for bad technique.

Last edited by stangmx13; 03-05-2019 at 07:33 PM..
Old 03-05-2019, 07:49 PM   #12
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster

Quote:

ull probably spend the next few years getting the throttle dialed as you learn to ride on track. so don't let that thought be an excuse for bad technique.
lmao that's the story of my life. I spent years learning how to ride semi fast with shitty technique, and then more years learning how to ride faster properly. The tabula rasa method is the best. Start with a blank slate and assume you need to learn everything.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:12 PM   #13
jacob11379
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybocc2 View Post
You're riding a bit crossed up in what i watched of the video.
Most likely your inside arm is too stiff and your body movement timing is a little intrusive / poor and will lead to more significant problems disrupting the bike as you get faster.

Here is my personal formula for a corner.

1. WOT down straight - acquiring my references.
2. When i've gathered my references and decide that it is time to brake, i shift my butt in the direction of the turn (ONLY my butt)
3. Sit up (air brake?) and smoothly apply the brakes (i use both f&r)
4. As speed is shed and i begin turning in i will begin to "pull" my head toward the handle bar of the direction of the turn.
5. Slowly and smoothly trail off the brakes until change of direction is complete.
6. Once my knee touches or i apex the turn, i'll pull my knee into the tank, load up the pegs and drop my shoulders in preparation for exit.
7.depending on the demands of the corner, remove lean angle, and begin smooth roll on of throttle.
8. My goal is to maximize my exit and use as much of the track as i need (note, not all of the track all the time... and only as much as my exit requires... sometimes my drive doesn't require going all the way to the curb, and sometimes its not the line you want/need/have availble)
9. smooth continuous roll on until WOT.
10. RINSE & REPEAT.
Good stuff....my arms are not really tense, I actually rest them in corners. but I agree when I looked at it I thought I looked crossed up.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:17 PM   #14
jacob11379
Banned

Quote:
T6-T8 stood out on the lap starting at 6:00. its not surprising since u overslowed for the whole section, making it "easy" to continue to add lean angle and/or speed. but u rly don't want to enforce bad techniques now because they'll bite u later as u try to go faster.

I could probably find more instances of this if u want.

Good deal ill take a look at those. I got 4 days off CSS coming up in a few weeks so hopefully I can get the corrections I need there.

I learned HVAC the wrong way and spent 5 years relearning the proper way! That line resonates with me well...
Old 03-06-2019, 08:18 PM   #15
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster

One other thing. This ain't MotoGP. Don't waste your time going back to mid seat between 1 and 2, or 6,7,8 and 9. Just keep your butt off the bike.