BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > The Garage

Old 05-08-2019, 10:20 AM   #1
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390, ST1100 and couple more...
Name: CJ
The great ST Guy's ST1100 thread.... or a thumper guy learns new tricks

As the proud and VERY grateful recipient of ST Guy's ST1100 this winter, I am happy to say this project has just kicked off. See the back story of how I became the owner of ST Guy's ST1100 here.

I've wanted a big sport touring bike for a few years now to expand my advenutures to cross country trips and attend some Barf rallies. I did make a promise to Budman that I would attend this years Hawthorne rally on a bike (I arrived last year as a passenger in a truck.) I made a big life change a few years back for the better. But that choice came with a drastically reduced income, so the funds for a fancy new or even new to me touring or adventure bike just weren't available. So this opportunity was fantastic and very much appreciated!

While I intended to get the project started earlier this spring... I should still have time to get her running and sorted for Hawthorne this fall.

This thread is going to cover getting the ST1100 running properly again, sorting her out, and bringing the big girl back to her former glorious condition. This process and thread will probably take place over the next 6 months.

The bike, ST Guy and Oaklandf4i

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy

Last edited by OaklandF4i; 05-08-2019 at 11:40 AM..
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:35 AM   #2
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390, ST1100 and couple more...
First of all, it was very obvious after corresponding and meeting ST Guy that he loved this bike, took great care of it, and knew his way around with a wrench. It had however been sitting for a long period of time, and was no longer running properly. It would start up and idle with the choke applied, but nothing more. Stumble and die with the addition of any amount of throttle.

So the first order of business was to just get it running before spending money on parts to bring her up to snuff. Proof of concept so to speak.

I know from my thumper experience that a bike sitting for long periods tends to get its fuel system all gummed up. Suspect clogged jets, cracked rubber parts or tubes, and or any number of items. While I have rebuilt and tuned any number of two stroke dirtbikes or fourstroke thumpers.... this will be my first deep foray into a multi bank carb system. What could go wrong? Hold my beer please...

The bike in its new home.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5185.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	520019   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5189 (2).JPG
Views:	11
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	520034  

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

Last edited by OaklandF4i; 05-08-2019 at 11:18 AM..
Old 05-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #3
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

First order of business was opening it up and getting access to the carbs. I know there are carbs somewhere under all this plastic....

While gaining access to the carbs took a bit of reading in the factory service manual (didnt want to break or crack plastic) and was certainly a lot more involved than a thumper, the great thing was all the rubber hoses and bits were in much better condition than I expected.

Taking my time reading and getting to know the old girl, I slowly found my way to the carbs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5205 (2).JPG
Views:	19
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	520027   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5209 (2).JPG
Views:	20
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	520028  

Last edited by OaklandF4i; 05-08-2019 at 11:19 AM..
Old 05-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #4
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Got the carb bank removed and on my bench to open up. Hmmmmmm..... at first this looks daunting. But after studying it a bit more, I realize that functionally its just four Keihin CV carbs. I'm comfortable and have some experience with these. You folks with lots of experience with multi bank systems are probably laughing at my apprehension about this new to me experience.

As I open up the carbs, my suspicions are confirmed. Clogged jets. One pilot I can't even get my guitar wire through. So going through two cans of carb cleaner and using compressed air.... I clean out every jet, orifice, and passageway in each of the carbs. All the rubber bits look good too.

Unfortunately, I tore one of the float bowl gaskets. So even though I believe I have addressed the most immediate problem, I'll have to wait until some bowl gaskets arrive to confirm.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5212 (2).JPG
Views:	18
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	520026  

Last edited by OaklandF4i; 05-08-2019 at 12:25 PM..
Old 05-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #5
auntiebling
megalomaniacal troglodyte

BARF Moderator (ooh, fancy!)
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
just don't separate the carbs from the rack assembly. sometimes it's necessary but usually not and getting all that monkey motion to do what it's supposed to do again ain't easy.

did the bike come with a tub of molybdenum paste?
my dad is an engineer
17/38 sprockets
CARB bikes list CA DMV fee calculators

Classifieds Forum Rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacinator View Post
Love that subway tile backsplash, auntie
auntiebling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:32 AM   #6
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

The initial "to do" list over the next few months based on what I have seen thus far:

- reinstall carbs
- check/adjust carbs sync (going to be another first for me)
- check/swap spark plugs
- change all fluids
- check/adjust valves
- compression and leak down test
- inspect brakes
- inspect all bearings (ie head, swingarm, wheels etc)
- freshen up suspension
- new fork seals
- address fork stanchion tube corrosion/pitting
- tires
- paint ........ while low on priority it does need some fresh paint and already day dreaming of colors. Ford Stealth Gray comes to mind.

Last edited by OaklandF4i; 05-08-2019 at 12:26 PM..
Old 05-08-2019, 11:35 AM   #7
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiebling View Post
just don't separate the carbs from the rack assembly. sometimes it's necessary but usually not and getting all that monkey motion to do what it's supposed to do again ain't easy.

did the bike come with a tub of molybdenum paste?
Good advice!

No tub.... but I actually found a very old tube of it when going through all my bins of spares to make room for this project. Laughed to myself. It was even the Honda brand from my f4i days.

Last edited by OaklandF4i; 05-08-2019 at 11:37 AM..
Old 05-08-2019, 11:39 AM   #8
auntiebling
megalomaniacal troglodyte

BARF Moderator (ooh, fancy!)
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
i like old goldwings, famous for carb fiddliness....

read up on the synch procedure when you get there. it'll likely only be doable in one sequence because one carb is synched to the previous, to the previous, to the "master"

you can get a really rough bench synch with that guitar string as a feeler gage under the butterflies. only helps if you've had the left/right separated from each other to get the crossover mechanism in the ballpark. i'd bank on STguy having them well synched so the cleaning ought to do it.
my dad is an engineer
17/38 sprockets
CARB bikes list CA DMV fee calculators

Classifieds Forum Rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacinator View Post
Love that subway tile backsplash, auntie
auntiebling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:02 PM   #9
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiebling View Post
i like old goldwings, famous for carb fiddliness....

read up on the synch procedure when you get there. it'll likely only be doable in one sequence because one carb is synched to the previous, to the previous, to the "master"

you can get a really rough bench synch with that guitar string as a feeler gage under the butterflies. only helps if you've had the left/right separated from each other to get the crossover mechanism in the ballpark. i'd bank on STguy having them well synched so the cleaning ought to do it.
Thanks, I am sure I am going to stumble somewhere along the line in this process. Been doing some reading in the manual and online. I think you are right, ST Guy probably has this sync'ed well. But its also an opportunity to learn a new skill, and frankly a big part of the satisfaction for me on projects like this. Plus he gave me the tools to do it with his home made manometer. Got to use em and learn.

This thread will surely become less of recap and will be asking questions soon enough I'm sure!

Old 05-08-2019, 01:16 PM   #10
ThumperX
Veteran

AMA #: 2817058
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor++++++++ +++++++++++++++ ++++++++++3%
Barf Roadside Angel and more!

Motorcycles: Different strokes Big Bore and little bore Thumpers
Name:
. subscrived
Treat a feral woman with respect, once trust is earned she may start bringing you food.
You go where you look!
HOHO
ThumperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:18 PM   #11
1962siia
Veteran

AMA #: 424261
Contributor + + + + + 3%

Motorcycles: xr100 450EXC Montesa Cota 315r Aermacchi/HD Sprint 250ss 950 ADV 200xcw C&J XL350 T100SC
Name: Daniel
Dude awesome! Glad you’re moving forward!
Old 05-08-2019, 01:40 PM   #12
ST Guy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100 ABS (tweaked here and there)
Name:
AWESOME!! What a trip to see my old bike. I'll be following this thread for sure and adding my two cents here and there.

Some comments:

The hoses and rubber have mostly been replaced at some time in the past. None of it, as I recall.

The needles in the carbs are relatively new. Aftermarket as the Honda stuff was very expensive. Also, you ruined a nearly new bowl gasket! :two finger

What hasn't been replaced in the carbs are the seals for the butterfly shafts, the slide diaphragms, and the fuel enriching valves. If I was going through it, I'd be tempted to replace all that but for now I think you're OK just cleaning and putting back together. The summer before you got it, I had gone through the carbs and it ran well enough to take it for a ride. It didn't have the top end rush it used to so I suspect carb sync needs doing and as a matter or course, replace those boots that connect the carbs to the heads. Don't forget some wheel bearing grease to help pop the carbs in place.

Since the plugs are so deep, use an air gun to blow out any debris before removing them. Make sure to use some sort of anti-seize when putting the new ones in. I use the Moly 60. Just be sure not to get any on the insulators.

Brakes: Rotors are at the lower limit. Need replacing. The SS lines should be good.

Steering stem: Doubt anything needs done there. They're aftermarket tapered roller bearings set up with a light smear of Moly 60 on the races and then Amsoil full synthetic lithium based heavy duty wheel bearing grease.

I know the rear wheel bearings were replaced around 50,000 miles. 'Might have a note in the manual. Fronts may have been done as well.

Use Honda fork seals. And you have the oil spec and levels in the paperwork somewhere. It's what Lindemann recommended after reworking the forks and the valving.

Woo-hoo!

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
ST Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:09 PM   #13
GAJ
Veteran

Motorcycles: DRZ400SM, F800ST
Name: Geoff
Shouldn't this be in "General" as it shows the BARF spirit at its finest and is of interest even to folks like me who wouldn't know a float bowl from a bong bowl?

Kudos to ST Guy for paying it forward and kudos to Oakland F4i for taking us on his journey.
GAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #14
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman