Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Moto Photos & Videos

Old 06-08-2019, 04:33 PM   #16
bergmen
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
The problem isn't in measuring the drugs, it's with the legal definition of impairment. What concentration of a given substance impairs a driver? With alcohol, 0.08 is presumptively impaired. Nothing else is similarly covered by statute.

It gets worse if multiple drugs are present, because it must be determined whether the driver was impaired by the particular combination. In a 2004 case in Folsom, a motorcycle rider and passenger were killed by a driver who drifted across several lanes and hit them head-on. Testing determined that the driver was stewed on prescription drugs: "the narcotic painkillers hydrocodone and methadone; carisoprodol, a muscle relaxant; and meprobamate, which is used to treat anxiety disorders" according to the Sac Bee. Prosecutors couldn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the combination present would necessarily impair the driver. Motherfucker walked with a misdemeanor and three years probation.
That is really horrible (the accident and the fact that the prosecutors could not prove impairement - and that he walked). I would imagine that having a lab report with the analysis would not hurt the prosecution in this case and I hope they can find a way to enhance whatever penalty he is sentenced to.

Dan
bergmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:50 PM   #17
rothmans
Lowering my expectations

Contributor +++ 1%

Motorcycles: Honda relics.
Name:
This only happened 30 mins from me but didnt hear about until this thread. Not surprised, this is only news because there was dashcam footage.

Sadly something like this happens weekly in So Cal and its why i pretty much wont ride the freeways down here anymore. Routinely see people going 90 to 100 plus swerving in and out of lanes.

Few people died in a couple high speed wrecks this last week and the week before it was the poor dog walking lady in Long Beach who got taken out by the feeling gang member who hit her car and killed her...AND 5 dogs.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:15 AM   #18
TheRobSJ
Mecanico El Supremo

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2016 H-D FLHTK
Name: Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsen203 View Post
Unless it is tuned, max speed of truck is 98 mph. I'm shocked how much damage it caused and the driver came out alive. Scary AF. No thanks.
Could be wrong, but I think that was a 2500HD. So at the very least, thatís probably 6500lbs. If it had the diesel, then more like 4 tons. With that kind of mass, even with only a 30-40mph closing speed, typical 3500lb mid size sedan doesnít have a chance.
TheRobSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:30 AM   #19
madsen203
Undetermined

Motorcycles: 2006 YZ250
Name: Michael M
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRobSJ View Post
Could be wrong, but I think that was a 2500HD. So at the very least, thatís probably 6500lbs. If it had the diesel, then more like 4 tons. With that kind of mass, even with only a 30-40mph closing speed, typical 3500lb mid size sedan doesnít have a chance.
Your exactly right. Just commenting on the max speed and amount of damage it caused. My truck is 6k with me in it. Iím sure the diesel adds another 1000# easily.

This is why I drive speed limit now and drive in a manner that I donít have to use brakes because I can use the gap in front of me to naturally slow down. Saves fuel, brakes, and lives. If ever caught not paying attention, I have an even larger buffer to snap on the brakes.

2014 ES350 has a braking distance of 125 feet where my truck has a braking distance of 135 ish (60-0). Impressive number imho.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:42 AM   #20
TheRobSJ
Mecanico El Supremo

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2016 H-D FLHTK
Name: Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsen203 View Post
Iím sure the diesel adds another 1000# easily.
It does. Not sure about the Cummins, but the V8 Duramax and Powerstroke are both right around half a ton engine assemblies (versus maybe 600 for their gas counterparts). Which of course bolt up to heavier transmissions, axles, etc.
TheRobSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:11 PM   #21
SRAD600
Veteran

AMA #3347697
Contributor

Motorcycles: broken one's
Name: Eldrick
Its pretty crazy how fast some folks drive down here, not only fast but swerving and cutting each other off. For some reason itís pretty par for the course. If you add that to the width of the freeways down here, youíve got a recipe for disaster.

That vid is very close to me, and doesnít surprise me at all. Just yesterday I was driving to the beach with my wife, kids and my wifeís parents and a similar accident happened on the 405, tractor trailer lost its load and one car completely mangled. I honestly drive as little as humanly possible down here.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:30 AM   #22
Alexey
Hello, world!

Founding Member

Motorcycles: RS125R, CBR600F4i, Bandit 1200S
Name:
The worry about the driver's intoxication behind the wheel seems like a bit of a red herring. I think our state and maybe federal laws are inadequate in dealing with driving. The main issue is that this guy killed and maimed people. That he was high and out of control on a busy highway ought to be an explanation, rather than the central issue. Yet, we focus so much on whether the person broke some traffic code and excuse the fact that there are life consequences to their actions -- mostly because the law does not give us the tools to prosecute it properly. Getting wasted and waving a gun around in a crowd would get me arrested in a second, but doing its equivalent with a car on the road is somehow treated completely differently.

I am not a lawyer, nor a law maker, but I think there's something wrong with the way we treat crashes as mere accidents or tragic, but unavoidable natural phenomena. I wish states would get more serious about licensing and revocation of driving privileges. As it stands, a driver's license is a mere formality for any able bodied person. A driver can continue driving despite repeatedly demonstrating inability to abide by traffic law or maintain control on the road. And when it rises to the level of actually killing or hurting someone, all we can do is scramble to come up with some traffic violation to hold them on, DUI being the worst. Seems totally out of whack to me.

Sorry about the rant. I live in NYC and see this kind of police and legal inaction constantly.

"When you're down is where you find yourself
When you drown there's nothing else"
-- David Gilmour

Hofstadter's Law:
"A task always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law."
Alexey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:37 PM   #23
Five Apples

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 85 GPZ900R, 99 SV650 (track)
Name: manhole
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexey View Post
The worry about the driver's intoxication behind the wheel seems like a bit of a red herring. I think our state and maybe federal laws are inadequate in dealing with driving. The main issue is that this guy killed and maimed people. That he was high and out of control on a busy highway ought to be an explanation, rather than the central issue. Yet, we focus so much on whether the person broke some traffic code and excuse the fact that there are life consequences to their actions -- mostly because the law does not give us the tools to prosecute it properly. Getting wasted and waving a gun around in a crowd would get me arrested in a second, but doing its equivalent with a car on the road is somehow treated completely differently.

I am not a lawyer, nor a law maker, but I think there's something wrong with the way we treat crashes as mere accidents or tragic, but unavoidable natural phenomena. I wish states would get more serious about licensing and revocation of driving privileges. As it stands, a driver's license is a mere formality for any able bodied person. A driver can continue driving despite repeatedly demonstrating inability to abide by traffic law or maintain control on the road. And when it rises to the level of actually killing or hurting someone, all we can do is scramble to come up with some traffic violation to hold them on, DUI being the worst. Seems totally out of whack to me.

Sorry about the rant. I live in NYC and see this kind of police and legal inaction constantly.
I've said it before and will say it again... if you want to kill someone, do it with a car.
295566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:44 AM   #24
MapleRoad
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: '13 Tiger XC 800
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexey View Post
I am not a lawyer, nor a law maker, but I think there's something wrong with the way we treat crashes as mere accidents or tragic, but unavoidable natural phenomena.
Consider the people who are writing our laws: politicians. They write the laws, and I suspect more than a little bias creeps in during the writing. They know they'll never get tanked and wave a gun around in public. They also know that they've driven when they were impaired.

Power corrupts.
MapleRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:30 PM   #25
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: make vroom noises
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokeYardSale View Post
P.S. Dashcam driver was out looking for trouble.
What makes you say this? I’m genuinely curious since I didn’t see anything in the video to come to that conclusion.
Last edited by Jesus; Yesterday at 01:32 PM...
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:25 PM   #26
LongGoneJohn
Gone

AMA #: 2809843
Founding Member
Contributor ++++ 3%

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
What makes you say this? Iím genuinely curious since I didnít see anything in the video to come to that conclusion.
I think that was sarcasm based on his experience from back in the day (if I remember the thread correctly).
LongGoneJohn is offline   Reply With Quote