BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 06-10-2019, 01:14 PM   #1
bradlys
Rookie

Motorcycles: 07 SV650S; 93 CBR900RR
Name:
Got an offer to pickup a bike in Alaska and ride it back to SF

So, coworker of mine knows a guy who is riding his v-strom up to Alaska. He's leaving it behind in Alaska because he doesn't want to ride it back down and wants someone to ride it back (and maybe give him some $$ for it but who knows how much). I've never been north of Vancouver, BC and have wanted to actually ride or drive up to Alaska - but, never wanted to come back. Go figure - it's a common feeling.

However, I've never done long distance motorcycling. I think I've ridden maybe 100-150 miles in one go and that's most ever. But that was on a sport bike where I'm leaned over a lot. I think I'd be fine for upright riding. On top of this - I don't know how long I could get off of work. 2 weeks - likely. 3 weeks? Very unlikely.

So, given 2 weeks where 4 of those days I need to be with my SO in Alaska... We'd pick it up in Anchorage - ride up to Fairbanks and see some sights along the way where she'd fly back to SFO from Fairbanks. Meanwhile, I'd then have about 10 days to get back to SF. I've done a lot of endurance driving before. (1000+ mile trips in a single day) However, I'd really like to ride no more than 400-500 miles in any given day (short of Seattle to SFO - I've seen all of that a dozen times).

Does it seem like a good idea? This is going to be in July. Probably the best weather and most sunlight it'll get. A month away. I've got a lot of travel credit to burn and work is an Unlimited PTO situation where it's not really unlimited. You get it when you get it and I think I'm in a position where I'd get it.

Thoughts? I don't think I'll get the time off to ever truly see and explore Alaska like some others have with their bikes. (I'm a working professional trying to grind my way towards a $2m home with my own income - I just won't see that kind of free time ever) So this seems like the closest I'll ever get for now. Is it worth seeing the drive down to SF from Fairbanks or is it that everything wonderful and provoking is really in northern Alaska?
bradlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:28 PM   #2
Entoptic
Red Power!

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: MV Agusta Brutale Dragster RR
Name:
So many red flags. I wouldn’t do it at all.

Sounds fun. Reach out to the rider and see if you can go along next time.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:40 PM   #3
augustiron
2fast 2live 2young 2die

Motorcycles: All of them eventually.
Name: nope
Is the owner having the bike serviced, gone through, fresh rubber, etc after their xxxx mile Alaskan journey ends and you hop on it to do another one?
augustiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:42 PM   #4
boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Yes please!
Name: Tom
If you're coming here to ask about it, it means you're not ready to do it.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:44 PM   #5
motomania2007
MSF/MTC CMSP Instructor

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
Post up on see BMW and adventure forums to hear from people that have actually ridden the route you plan to ride as there are several points about the ride.

<stands, raises hand> Hello, my name is George and I am a motorcycle addict!

Please come to one of my MSF, Total Control or CMSP classes and allow me to share my addiction with you.
Total Control MTC, IRC and ARC instructor

http://www.valleymotorcycletraining.com/signup.html

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
motomania2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:48 PM   #6
FXCLM5
bombaclaud

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Tuono V4, Grom
Name:
no way man

your longest ride is/was 150 miles

you need to do like triple that day in and day out

i suggest you do some multi day rides first before attempting something long distance.

but then some ppl have done it on a grom, so its not like its impossible, I just would rather be more prepared then not.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:07 PM   #7
alemeno214
Bumblewee Wrangler

Contributor + GOP

Motorcycles: F700gs, DL650, Ninja 300/500, Radian
Name: Alex
There is also the ferry from Alaska to Bellingham, WA, that would at least get it back to the lower 48 in just a few days.
alemeno214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:10 PM   #8
mototireguy
Moto Tire Veteran

Valgar beer donor
Contributor +

Motorcycles: FJR13 - XR650L - Madass 125
Name: Robbie
+1 on the ferry option.

ANC-SFO is 3000 miles one way.

I've done this drive in the SFO-ANC direction once in a car with 2 people switching off driving duties. Six overnight stops, Eugene, Vancouver, Prince George, Dease Lake, Whitehorse, Tok, that's averaging 428 miles every day. Easy to do with with 2 people switching off driving, rough haul by yourself in a short time.

It was a once in a lifetime beautiful drive, awesome scenery, 98% good pavement, highly recommended adventure. But we got very lucky with the weather with just a little rain outside of Vancouver.

Do the math, 8 days would be 375 miles per day. 10 days would be 300 miles per day. If you can stretch it out to 12-14 days then it becomes more manageable for non-ironbutt status riders.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #9
Marcoose
50-50

AMA #: 2818042
Contributor +

Motorcycles: '03 CBR954RR-ish
Name: Marc
Echoing others ... what's the bike's maintenance status, what's your repair and maintenance skills, what's your endurance level, what's your B plan if something goes wrong, etc? This sounds like an awesome adventure, but unless you have good skills and a good bike, it may be slightly above your head. Be careful.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:06 PM   #10
bradlys
Rookie

Motorcycles: 07 SV650S; 93 CBR900RR
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXCLM5 View Post
no way man

your longest ride is/was 150 miles

you need to do like triple that day in and day out

i suggest you do some multi day rides first before attempting something long distance.

but then some ppl have done it on a grom, so its not like its impossible, I just would rather be more prepared then not.
Sportbikes I was riding on aren't made for more than three hours of riding. I doubt people ride a s1000rr up to Alaska.
bradlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:16 PM   #11
Aware
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda
Name: Steve
I'll do it if the bike is serviced and the 'pay' isn't insulting. 8-)
Aware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:09 PM   #12
NoTraffic
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2nd Gen FZ1 / Oil Cooled 1200RT / '17 MT-09
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boney View Post
If you're coming here to ask about it, it means you're not ready to do it.
+1. Are you familiar with a Vstrom? If you have a mechanical issue, do you know how to possibly troubleshoot it?

You can attempt to do it however you like, the experience will be quite different depending on your experience level and resourcefulness. 3 days riding 300 miles is quite different than 150 mile day trip.

It's definitely doable but if you do a couple small overnight trips, you'll learn quickly what you may/may not need to make the trip much more comfortable and realistic.
NoTraffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:20 PM   #13
usedtobefast
Veteran

Motorcycles: 990 SMT, 300 XC, Moto Guzzi V7, 450 EXC, F800GT, WeeStrom
Name: David
Easy test. Take off Friday. Ride your moto 500 miles East. Spend night. Next day ride 250 miles East, turn around, 250 miles West. Spend night. On Sunday ride 500 miles home.

How did it go?
usedtobefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:11 PM   #14
bpw
Veteran

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: Monster 800, BMW r60/2, R100GS, 1935 BSA 250, WR250R. trail 90
Name: Ben
Do it, it might change your life and make that $2 million dollar house seem a lot less important.

Its a front country trip on mostly paved roads, not some remote backcountry adventure, and your riding a motorcycle, not hiking. 300 miles a day is easy if you are doing nothing but riding, especially on highway. That is a rolling average of only 30mph if you spend 10 hours a day on the road. If the bike breaks, ditch it and book a flight, or rent a uhaul, or hitchhike, or whatever, Breaking down is fun and forces you to make friends.

Even if it goes completely sideways I doubt you will regret it 20 years from now. You could crash, but its probably safer than riding around here, so you are already ok with that risk.

Last edited by bpw; 06-10-2019 at 06:18 PM..
bpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:15 PM   #15
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: ‘18 Alta EX006, ‘17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM503 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
just do it

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote