Old 06-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #46
Sharky
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: GSX-R 1000; CR 250; Duke II; XR650L; KLX110; YSR 50;
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradlys View Post
So, coworker of mine knows a guy who is riding his v-strom up to Alaska. He's leaving it behind in Alaska because he doesn't want to ride it back down and wants someone to ride it back (and maybe give him some $$ for it but who knows how much). I've never been north of Vancouver, BC and have wanted to actually ride or drive up to Alaska - but, never wanted to come back. Go figure - it's a common feeling.

However, I've never done long distance motorcycling. I think I've ridden maybe 100-150 miles in one go and that's most ever. But that was on a sport bike where I'm leaned over a lot. I think I'd be fine for upright riding. On top of this - I don't know how long I could get off of work. 2 weeks - likely. 3 weeks? Very unlikely.

So, given 2 weeks where 4 of those days I need to be with my SO in Alaska... We'd pick it up in Anchorage - ride up to Fairbanks and see some sights along the way where she'd fly back to SFO from Fairbanks. Meanwhile, I'd then have about 10 days to get back to SF. I've done a lot of endurance driving before. (1000+ mile trips in a single day) However, I'd really like to ride no more than 400-500 miles in any given day (short of Seattle to SFO - I've seen all of that a dozen times).

Does it seem like a good idea? This is going to be in July. Probably the best weather and most sunlight it'll get. A month away. I've got a lot of travel credit to burn and work is an Unlimited PTO situation where it's not really unlimited. You get it when you get it and I think I'm in a position where I'd get it.

Thoughts? I don't think I'll get the time off to ever truly see and explore Alaska like some others have with their bikes. (I'm a working professional trying to grind my way towards a $2m home with my own income - I just won't see that kind of free time ever) So this seems like the closest I'll ever get for now. Is it worth seeing the drive down to SF from Fairbanks or is it that everything wonderful and provoking is really in northern Alaska?
Every great adventure or death starts out with, "what could go wrong right?"
I say do it. I would if I had the time for that sort of thing.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:25 AM   #47
BURNROPE
Veteran

Motorcycles: BMW GS/PD XR600
Name:
Fuck It. Go for it. It's an adventure. You're going to come back laughing or crying. In 5 years it'll be a great memory either way.
BURNROPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:31 AM   #48
BURNROPE
Veteran

Motorcycles: BMW GS/PD XR600
Name:
People have done more with less.

A friend of mine toured South America on a 250cc Zundapp 2 stroke motorcycle in the 60's with his wife on the back. He stripped out the threads of the spark plug from changing fouled plugs, this was in pre-mix days. A local machine shop re-threaded the hole with a 3/4" tapered pipe thread and gave him a bunch of old Model T spark plugs, which were, you guessed it, 3/4" tapered pipe thread. They had an adventure.
BURNROPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:49 AM   #49
movadosan
Not a 1 bike kinda guy

Contributor

Motorcycles: Aprilia Falco, Scout Sixty
Name: Mo
Yeah, him charging you to ride his bike back for him seems like a dick move, I'm surprised you're not offended. You're doing him a favor, if anything he should cover some of your cost. If I rode my motorcycle somewhere and wanted a friend to ride it back for me, you can bet I'd feel like I owe him, not the other way around.
movadosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:49 PM   #50
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanikrazy View Post
This. If he is expecting you to pay to bring his bike home, then the issue of repair work coverage should be a huge concern.

Unless the owner got himself a heck of a deal, owner has two options at the end of his trip:
(1) lose money by selling it in a short time frame in a small market (AK); or
(2) lose money by paying to have it shipped home.

Instead of paying you a partial amount of the money he would almost certainly be losing, he still wants you to pay money to return his bike and save him the hassle of selling it. Maybe it is just me, but that does not sound like the guy who is going to pay for a dealer to source a new starter if fails on your journey home.
Plus 100

It's pretty balsy to ask the OP to PAY him to bring his bike home!

Most people I know would offer to pay the gas to have their bike brought back down. That's just the kind of people I hang out with. The owner is flipping the script and acting like he's doing the OP a favor.
Got tired of the CHP-funded P.O.S. incident page and made my own for motorcycles in the Bay area and surrounding zones: Bay Area CHP Motorcycle Incidents **NOTE** I added Sacramento, Monterey and San Luis Obisbo on 4/22/2018.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:16 PM   #51
NorCalBusa
Member #294

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
When you get pulled over (and you will), what you going to tell the cop?

"Oh I flew to Alaska to ride dude's motorcycle back- I'm paying for the gas and food/hotels for a couple weeks. He's paying for nothing.

Click (insert sound of handcuffs going on).
Old 06-13-2019, 01:28 PM   #52
bpw
Veteran

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: Monster 800, BMW r60/2, R100GS, 1935 BSA 250, WR250R. trail 90
Name: Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBusa View Post
When you get pulled over (and you will), what you going to tell the cop?

"Oh I flew to Alaska to ride dude's motorcycle back- I'm paying for the gas and food/hotels for a couple weeks. He's paying for nothing.

Click (insert sound of handcuffs going on).
bpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:14 PM   #53
splat
Veteran

Motorcycles: Mostly red ones
Name: Mark
And if he wads his bike the day your are suppose to leave, who pays for your flight/trip back?
Old 06-13-2019, 07:56 PM   #54
rodr
I'rn the one on the left.

AMA #: 2846730
Contributor + + + +

Motorcycles: 2016 CB500XA
Name: Rod
What year DL650? Some of them are prone to stator failure and that can be an expensive repair and too long spent waiting for the part.

Another approach might be to wait until you're ready to buy an adventure or touring bike, then fly to Anchorage and buy it.
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:33 PM   #55
bradlys
Rookie

Motorcycles: 07 SV650S; 93 CBR900RR
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by splat View Post
And if he wads his bike the day your are suppose to leave, who pays for your flight/trip back?
Yes, this is a bit of the part where I'm not super fond of the whole thing. I won't know that the bike is destroyed until return flights are catastrophically expensive.

They might already be too expensive as I was planning to use reward travel points for the flights. And award flights might be sold out or expensive now for my dates. :/ I'd have to check again.
bradlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:24 PM   #56
bradlys
Rookie

Motorcycles: 07 SV650S; 93 CBR900RR
Name:
Well, I won't be doing it.

My SO found out today she won't be doing one of her jobs this summer. So, she's freed up for 10+ days now. And at a different time. We'll be spending the time together somewhere. Maybe still Alaska but I probably won't be riding. Travel time with SO is much more important to me. Never liked traveling alone tbh.

Edit: this thread has given me a lot to think about though and has really sparked a flame for some motorcycle touring+adventuring

Last edited by bradlys; 06-14-2019 at 10:40 PM..
bradlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:26 PM   #57
FXCLM5
bombaclaud

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Tuono V4, Grom
Name:
wussup barf

telling ppl to do a cross country multi day trip when he/she has only ever ridden 150 miles in 1 day.

telling a new rider that maintenance is way over his head when he lives at home and his dad is a master mechanic.

wtf barf
Old 06-17-2019, 03:09 PM   #58
Krooklyn
Usual Suspect

Motorcycles: NC35 Tuono V4
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXCLM5 View Post
wussup barf

telling ppl to do a cross country multi day trip when he/she has only ever ridden 150 miles in 1 day.

telling a new rider that maintenance is way over his head when he lives at home and his dad is a master mechanic.

wtf barf
par for the course

Krooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:12 PM   #59
bpw
Veteran

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: Monster 800, BMW r60/2, R100GS, 1935 BSA 250, WR250R. trail 90
Name: Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXCLM5 View Post

Why not? It isn't as if riding a moto is especially hard, and it doesn't get more difficult or dangerous outside the bay area. If anything it's probably safer.
bpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:17 PM   #60
FXCLM5
bombaclaud

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Tuono V4, Grom
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpw View Post
Why not? It isn't as if riding a moto is especially hard, and it doesn't get more difficult or dangerous outside the bay area. If anything it's probably safer.
Op has never done a multiday excursion

Yet you guys want to set him free on a country wide tour

Itll be a lil different if he had previous multiday excursions under his belt.

Lets put it in lamen terms.

Guy has been practicing swimming for a few months now, can tread water and can do 2x full laps on a olympic sized pool without a sweat, in fact hes been doing this for awhile and built up to it.

Great next 2 weeks we gonna have him start tread water and do 6x full laps (300% what hes used to) with no rest/recovery time.

Also for 2 weeks straight you cant stay in your own bed, make sure you zzz at a new friends house/couch each day, also the days you cant do 6x laps, well the following days your gonna hafta make up for it and do 7,8,9,10x laps.

Does that make any sense to you, you do realize when the OP is out on the road hes not just a danger to himself but to others as well.

Lets try to keep riders safe, 1 rider at a time yea?