Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 06-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #1
Mellowtonin
Old Enough to Know Better

Motorcycles: FZR600, XV250, XL1200X, EX250, WR250X, SMC690, FZ-07, HYM 1100S
Name: Alex
I have mixed feelings about orange

Motorcycle Maker KTM Passes Harley and Aims at Kawasaki

KTM as a brand to me has always been about taking risks, unafraid to make niche motorcycles and trail blaze new markets. Just look at how fast they were able to churn out the 790 Adventure versus the more conservative Yamaha approach Yamaha had taken with the T7 project.

Of course some would argue that this is a double edged sword...rushing unrefined products to market with half an expectation for their consumers to sort out the kinks by themselves...

But it looks like this more daring approach has been paying off!

I mean, this was just spotted 24 hours ago: Spotted: New 2021 KTM 790 SMC Out Testing In The Wild

Discuss...is KTM teh best or...?
Mellowtonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:51 AM   #2
Charmed
Inbound @ this time, over

BARF Recruiter
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: SV650 track bike, 2008 DRZ440SM, 1982 Suzuki GS1100GL, Bianchi San Lorenzo
Name: BEEF
I definitely wouldn't agree they're "rushing unrefined products to market". Their ADV bikes and their 500 dual sports (among others) have been taking the top spots in comparos for years in spite of the competition taking their time.

Fully triggered
Charmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:57 AM   #3
stan23
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2019 KTM 690 SMC-R
Name: .
that should be called SMT, not SMR! That's just a Duke 790 with longer suspension.

I'm a big fan of KTM. They seem to make riders bikes. Not the fanciest, or prettiest, but your money goes to quality parts and good suspension out of the box. They also seem to make bikes that makes no sense to 90% of the riding population, but here we are. Like the Super Enduro R, or the Duke.

I've only bought 5 new bikes in my lifetime, and 3 were KTM. Their latest generation stuff is good.. overall fit and finish is good. Just look at a 790 ADV and compare part for part, component to component to the Africa Twin. No contest. Even when KTM specs non adjustable suspenders on their bike, they really pay attention to valving.

Ever looked at a standard KTM bolt? 2 ways to loosen in case you strip it.

Last edited by stan23; 06-12-2019 at 11:03 AM..
stan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #4
augustiron
2fast 2live 2young 2die

Motorcycles: All of them eventually.
Name: nope
I love that KTM is making the bikes many of us hoped for ie: quality middleweight adv & sumo, great range of dirtbikes (always), nice touring advs, even showed they could make a kick ass unique superbike.
I loved the 990smt and would have bought one back in the day except for what I thought was too short of range. I want 200 miles at a minimum, 250 ideal for my touring bike.
I'd love to have a 790adv, but don't really need it at the moment.
augustiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:09 AM   #5
Map8
Don't H8

BARF Moderator - BARF Sponsor
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + +

Motorcycles: 2017 Df3, YZ250F/SM (parting out), DRZ400SM, KTM 450SMR, CRF230/sm
Name: Steve
I've really enjoyed my 2006 450SMR. Its easy to work on and a blast to ride. That new 790 engine is damn cool. I'm hoping to see it make a big impact in the AFT Twins class if KTM gets serious about competing with Indian, HD and Yamaha.

“Valentino is just a super down-to-earth, right on dude,” -Brad Baker

BARF Terms of Service
Map8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:18 AM   #6
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
Time for a new X-Bow
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:52 PM   #7
augustiron
2fast 2live 2young 2die

Motorcycles: All of them eventually.
Name: nope
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankpage View Post
Time for a new X-Bow
Yeah that was a swing and a miss.
Actually, to miss, it is assumed there is something to hit, so let's just call that a swing.
augustiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:00 PM   #8
KooLaid
Hippocritapotamus

Motorcycles: 18 450 SXF
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustiron View Post
Yeah that was a swing and a miss.
Actually, to miss, it is assumed there is something to hit, so let's just call that a swing.
I would love an X bow but not at $100,000. $60,000 yes, but $100k is a lot of chedda.
KooLaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:46 PM   #9
banshee01
Veteran

Motorcycles: 18 701 SM 17 701 Enduro 17 z900 12 kx100 02 kx250 01 yz 125 (loaner)
Name: George
After owning 2 huskys I will lean heavy towards a ktm for my next bike. Really wanted the hypermotard but I am now very intrigued on this ktm 790
banshee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:19 PM   #10
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 1090 Adv R
Name: =Username
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowtonin View Post
...Just look at how fast they were able to churn out the 790 Adventure versus the more conservative Yamaha approach Yamaha had taken with the T7 project.
What? It took them forevvver to get that thing out and it will still be another year or two before I can actually buy one. I can't call that "fast".

I thought KTMs were interesting but never actually consider buying one until I took a test ride on a 990 Adventure. I wasn't even out of sight of the dealership before I was saying to myself "I need to get me one of these!"

I seriously looked at many other brands of adventure bikes before buying my 1090R last summer. My concern was that I would be disappointed with how the others behaved off road. When I found that I could get the 1090R for less than an Africa Twin I bought it and haven't regretted it for a second. I've since put many hundreds of miles on it off road with a lot more to come.

KTM makes bikes that serious riders can enjoy riding. I can't justify the added cost of a 500 EXC or a 690 Enduro R over my tough and reliable XR650L, but I certainly could for the bigger bike, because nothing else currently available would meet my needs in that area.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:23 PM   #11
stan23
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2019 KTM 690 SMC-R
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
What? It took them forevvver to get that thing out and it will still be another year or two before I can actually buy one. I can't call that "fast".

I thought KTMs were interesting but never actually consider buying one until I took a test ride on a 990 Adventure. I wasn't even out of sight of the dealership before I was saying to myself "I need to get me one of these!"

I seriously looked at many other brands of adventure bikes before buying my 1090R last summer. My concern was that I would be disappointed with how the others behaved off road. When I found that I could get the 1090R for less than an Africa Twin I bought it and haven't regretted it for a second. I've since put many hundreds of miles on it off road with a lot more to come.

KTM makes bikes that serious riders can enjoy riding. I can't justify the added cost of a 500 EXC or a 690 Enduro R over my tough and reliable XR650L, but I certainly could for the bigger bike, because nothing else currently available would meet my needs in that area.
The 790 Adventures are out already. You can buy one now.
stan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #12
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
enjoyed this review on ADV:

KTM 790 Adventure Review (Part 1: The tech)
"The KTM 790 Adventure is an all-new bike with some very interesting design details."

Quote:
5.2 fuel-injected gallons, ftw!

love rooting for KTM against Honda in Moto3 ...
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:59 PM   #13
U26A1
Veteran

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Gas & Electric
Name: Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowtonin View Post
Discuss...is KTM teh best or...?
As someone who just bought their first KTM (Super Duke GT) pretty recently, a couple things have jumped out at me:
  • Thoughtful design of maintenance. Where a Ducati will require taking apart the entire bike to change a taillight bulb, or a Honda will require 7 special tools to do a valve check, with the KTM I continually find myself delighted by the nice little touches in terms of the maintenance part of the ownership experience. They've clearly put a lot of thought into trying to make working on the bike pleasant.
  • Lack of farkling needed. I'm sure this is a bit specific to the 1290 series as it's up there in price, but honestly other than some crashguards I really couldn't come up with anything that's 'required' to do to the bike. Most all other bikes I've owned even at this price-point have usually required something in terms of aftermarket setup. (Haha ok well I guess the Powerparts seat is a must-buy.)
U26A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #14
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 1090 Adv R
Name: =Username
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan23 View Post
The 790 Adventures are out already. You can buy one now.
Not in the state where I live. All of the ones they have coming in are already spoken for and the dealer can't get as many as they want.

Is there a dealer near you that has one that isn't already pre-sold?
Old 06-12-2019, 05:12 PM   #15
banshee01
Veteran

Motorcycles: 18 701 SM 17 701 Enduro 17 z900 12 kx100 02 kx250 01 yz 125 (loaner)
Name: George
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
Not in the state where I live. All of the ones they have coming in are already spoken for and the dealer can't get as many as they want.

Is there a dealer near you that has one that isn't already pre-sold?
I would imagine we might be able to find a non R model here in the bay that inst spoken for but who would want that???
banshee01 is offline   Reply With Quote