BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2019, 07:04 PM   #1
JesseJames
Newbie
 

Join Date: May 2014
Location: East Bay
Motorcycles: '93 DR250, '09 DR650 '05 SV650s
Name:
Lady tried to kill me on the on ramp today

Hello my fellow bay area rider peoples, I have just been loving the last few weeks. Riding every single day and just got a new(old) bike- A 2009 DR650 with some nice upgrades. I'm still getting used to it, but it's not that much different from its' little bro- the DR250 except its got about 500% more torque.

For the most part, I've found drivers to be more courteous on the freeways, but most have been on the streets lately as well. Maybe i'm imagining it.

Today something pretty crazy happened. I decided to run to the grocery store before heading to the city for work. I went up 27th st towards the telegraph entrance to 580E. So here I am- at the red arrow waiting for it to turn green. I'm watching traffic like usual and looking at the lights. I see the opposing light turn red, and all the cars stop.
I get my green arrow. A white SUV or van is in the right turn lane in the opposite intersection immediately adjacent to the on ramp. The driver looks right at me as I proceed, then makes the right-on-red turn onto the on ramp completely violating my right of way. She not only does this, but hops over all the way to the left lane during her turn and almost nails me. It's almost like it was deliberate the timing was perfect to take me out. I had to swerve HARD and almost went down. There was very little room to maneuver as I was inches from the concrete wall and her car.
I didn't know what to do I was so mad, but immediately relieved to still be alive. I turned back and flipped him/her the bird twice with purpose. I really wanted to do something worse, but my better judgment prevailed.
Hard to forgive people playing with life like that. I don't excuse it for ignorance or arrogance or any other BS. No excuses.

Have you had any experiences where it seemed like someone was genuinely trying to lay you down?

The only thing I can think of doing is getting a helmet camera. How do you guys manage all the video data? Or do you just record over it every time?

Edit-Mods, if you think this might be better suited for another section, please move it. TY

Last edited by JesseJames; 06-14-2019 at 07:27 PM..
JesseJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:39 PM   #2
mean dad
Sweet Like Candy
 
mean dad's Avatar
 
AMA #575843
Contributor ++++++++++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California
Motorcycles: Mike's YSR, if Trump helps.
Name: Golden Boy
Yeah, this should be in General. Nobody in the sink rides.
__________________
.



.



Fuck around and find out.
mean dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:57 PM   #3
PaleHorse
I am slow
 

Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: On the coast
Motorcycles: K5 GSXR 750 2016 HD FLHS
Name:
Must be something in the water today. Was cut off twice. Once in Santa Clara. Locked up the breaks so hard it picked the gsxr up onto the front wheel. And again on hwy 1 by the hook. Mfkrs driving with their heads up their asses. As you can tell, pisses me the fuck off too...

Glad your ok and in 1 piece.
PaleHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:03 PM   #4
budgie45
panty sniffer
 
budgie45's Avatar
 
Contributor + 1%

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: here and there
Motorcycles: A loud one
Name:
Always wear a helmet cam
People in cars don’t give a fuck about people on motorcycles..


Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post
Hello my fellow bay area rider peoples, I have just been loving the last few weeks. Riding every single day and just got a new(old) bike- A 2009 DR650 with some nice upgrades. I'm still getting used to it, but it's not that much different from its' little bro- the DR250 except its got about 500% more torque.

For the most part, I've found drivers to be more courteous on the freeways, but most have been on the streets lately as well. Maybe i'm imagining it.

Today something pretty crazy happened. I decided to run to the grocery store before heading to the city for work. I went up 27th st towards the telegraph entrance to 580E. So here I am- at the red arrow waiting for it to turn green. I'm watching traffic like usual and looking at the lights. I see the opposing light turn red, and all the cars stop.
I get my green arrow. A white SUV or van is in the right turn lane in the opposite intersection immediately adjacent to the on ramp. The driver looks right at me as I proceed, then makes the right-on-red turn onto the on ramp completely violating my right of way. She not only does this, but hops over all the way to the left lane during her turn and almost nails me. It's almost like it was deliberate the timing was perfect to take me out. I had to swerve HARD and almost went down. There was very little room to maneuver as I was inches from the concrete wall and her car.
I didn't know what to do I was so mad, but immediately relieved to still be alive. I turned back and flipped him/her the bird twice with purpose. I really wanted to do something worse, but my better judgment prevailed.
Hard to forgive people playing with life like that. I don't excuse it for ignorance or arrogance or any other BS. No excuses.

Have you had any experiences where it seemed like someone was genuinely trying to lay you down?

The only thing I can think of doing is getting a helmet camera. How do you guys manage all the video data? Or do you just record over it every time?

Edit-Mods, if you think this might be better suited for another section, please move it. TY
__________________
Lick my shamrock
budgie45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:03 PM   #5
budgie45
panty sniffer
 
budgie45's Avatar
 
Contributor + 1%

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: here and there
Motorcycles: A loud one
Name:
Truth
Quote:
Originally Posted by mean dad View Post
Yeah, this should be in General. Nobody in the sink rides.
__________________
Lick my shamrock
budgie45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:07 PM   #6
Butch
poseur
 
Butch's Avatar
 
AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Jose, bottom of dirty 130
Motorcycles: ‘18 Alta EX006, ‘17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM503 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
Flipping the bird is not constructive. Figure out what happened, document if you can, try to figure out how to prevent it from happening again, to you or someone else.

Don't get mad. Get even. Or something
__________________
Butch
Hodaka Ace 90. I've been riding these things too long. What can I say? How about that Combat Wombat?

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:12 PM   #7
budgie45
panty sniffer
 
budgie45's Avatar
 
Contributor + 1%

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: here and there
Motorcycles: A loud one
Name:
Giving drivers the finger just pisses them off more..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Flipping the bird is not constructive. Figure out what happened, document if you can, try to figure out how to prevent it from happening again, to you or someone else.

Don't get mad. Get even. Or something
__________________
Lick my shamrock
budgie45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:22 PM   #8
sanjuro
Rider
 
sanjuro's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oaklamd
Motorcycles: GSX-R 1000
Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post
Hello my fellow bay area rider peoples, I have just been loving the last few weeks. Riding every single day and just got a new(old) bike- A 2009 DR650 with some nice upgrades. I'm still getting used to it, but it's not that much different from its' little bro- the DR250 except its got about 500% more torque.

For the most part, I've found drivers to be more courteous on the freeways, but most have been on the streets lately as well. Maybe i'm imagining it.

Today something pretty crazy happened. I decided to run to the grocery store before heading to the city for work. I went up 27th st towards the telegraph entrance to 580E. So here I am- at the red arrow waiting for it to turn green. I'm watching traffic like usual and looking at the lights. I see the opposing light turn red, and all the cars stop.
I get my green arrow. A white SUV or van is in the right turn lane in the opposite intersection immediately adjacent to the on ramp. The driver looks right at me as I proceed, then makes the right-on-red turn onto the on ramp completely violating my right of way. She not only does this, but hops over all the way to the left lane during her turn and almost nails me. It's almost like it was deliberate the timing was perfect to take me out. I had to swerve HARD and almost went down. There was very little room to maneuver as I was inches from the concrete wall and her car.
I didn't know what to do I was so mad, but immediately relieved to still be alive. I turned back and flipped him/her the bird twice with purpose. I really wanted to do something worse, but my better judgment prevailed.
Hard to forgive people playing with life like that. I don't excuse it for ignorance or arrogance or any other BS. No excuses.

Have you had any experiences where it seemed like someone was genuinely trying to lay you down?

The only thing I can think of doing is getting a helmet camera. How do you guys manage all the video data? Or do you just record over it every time?

Edit-Mods, if you think this might be better suited for another section, please move it. TY
First thing is that I expect drivers to do these kinds of things, so when it happens, I almost congratulate myself on predicting it.

Do I have an extreme reaction, like anger or shock? No. Again, I'm expecting drivers to do something horrible, so emotion doesn't control my riding.

On a different note, I noticed you didn't mention when you recognized the white SUV was going to turn in front of you. Did it roll into the intersection then hesitate for a moment before going? Was it completely stopped, then suddenly pull in front of you? Most importantly, when did notice the SUV in the first place? When you were accelerating on the ramp, or before that?

Finally, what you should do about a bad driver is probably nothing. I'm making all kinds of calculations about traffic, escape velocities, proximity to home, police, type of driver, before I'll smash a mirror. If that is not something you want or can do, then you should control your anger and ride safely.
sanjuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:45 PM   #9
Map8
Don't H8
 
Map8's Avatar
 
BARF Moderator - BARF Sponsor
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + +

Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: West Sacramento, CA
Motorcycles: 2017 Df3, YZ250F/SM (parting out), DRZ400SM, KTM 450SMR, CRF230/sm
Name: Steve
Moto content. Moved to General.
__________________
Only stickers increase horsepower. Duh. -mikhail

“Valentino is just a super down-to-earth, right on dude,” -Brad Baker

BARF Terms of Service
Map8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:50 PM   #10
motomania2007
MSF/MTC CMSP Instructor
 

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Merced, CA
Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
1) motorcycles are invisible to most car drivers

2) It is best to ride as if every car that can cut you off, will try to do so, as this is the typical, normal situation.

Don't misunderstand me, I am not saying it is OK for car drivers to not see you and cut you off.

I AM saying this is the reality we ride in. If you don't like it, you should probably consider not riding on the street.

3) You only control what you do. You do not control anyone else.

4) No one MAKES you do anything, including making you angry.

You choose to respond to their actions with anger.

You can just as easily choose to ignore their action or deal with their actions and get on with your life.

5) Getting upset when you get cutoff in traffic hurts you by driving up your stress level AND ALSO increases your risk as it distracts you from dealing with the next threats you will encounter AND ALSO has ZERO effect on the car and driver that cut you off.

6) Getting upset at the norm, is like getting upset you found mail in your mail box.

7) Do you realize you are CHOOSING to go through life upset at the normal reality you are riding in?
__________________
If you are not having fun riding a motorcycle, you are doing it wrong.

<stands, raises hand> Hello, my name is George and I am a motorcycle addict!

Please come to one of my MSF, Total Control or CMSP classes and allow me to share my addiction with you.
Total Control MTC, IRC and ARC instructor

http://www.valleymotorcycletraining.com/signup.html

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.

Last edited by motomania2007; 06-14-2019 at 08:51 PM..
motomania2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:06 PM   #11
AbsolutEnduser
Covffeffeer
 
AbsolutEnduser's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SF
Motorcycles: Ninja
Name: AE.Quentin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post
I see the opposing light turn red, and all the cars stop.
I get my green arrow. A white SUV or van is in the right turn lane in the opposite intersection immediately adjacent to the on ramp. The driver looks right at me as I proceed, then makes the right-on-red turn onto the on ramp completely violating my right of way.
She probably thought you're too far; that you're not going to accelerate so much; and finally, she thought maybe she has the right of way (it's a fallacy that a small number right-on-red turners really do believe!-- that's why the white signs "right turn on red after stop" actually exist)

Just trying to find a reason instead of she just wanted to drive withoout caring for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post
She not only does this, but hops over all the way to the left lane during her turn and almost nails me.[/B]
Everyone does this. Everyone crosses like three lanes after making a right turn. Doesn't mean it's the right thing to do (it isn't) but it's one of those things that "responsible normal drivers" think it's their right to do.

__________________
< ----- >
< - > < ----- >
AbsolutEnduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:08 PM   #12
thepretender
Rookie
 

Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Mariposa Ca
Motorcycles: 2015 S1000R 2014 VFR800
Name: Doug
I've switched to giving a thumbs down instead of the finger. I figure they will get the point and the finger just pisses them off and makes them defencive not thinking of why your upset.

Innovv K2 on one bike and K1 on the other. Front and rear cameras that record to mini DVR. They fill up the card then start overwriting the oldest files. 256 gig card on K2 gives about 23 hours of filming 128 gig card in K1 about 11 hours.I'm always recording automatically.
__________________
If at first you don't succeed, chuck it all in and go for a ride!
thepretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:18 PM   #13
budgie45
panty sniffer
 
budgie45's Avatar
 
Contributor + 1%

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: here and there
Motorcycles: A loud one
Name:
Don’t be depending on that Innovv camera

Their junk cameras..use to be a thread about how shitty they are


Quote:
Originally Posted by thepretender View Post
I've switched to giving a thumbs down instead of the finger. I figure they will get the point and the finger just pisses them off and makes them defencive not thinking of why your upset.

Innovv K2 on one bike and K1 on the other. Front and rear cameras that record to mini DVR. They fill up the card then start overwriting the oldest files. 256 gig card on K2 gives about 23 hours of filming 128 gig card in K1 about 11 hours.I'm always recording automatically.
__________________
Lick my shamrock
budgie45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:48 PM   #14
thepretender
Rookie
 

Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Mariposa Ca
Motorcycles: 2015 S1000R 2014 VFR800
Name: Doug
K2 has been bullet proof, K1 sucked until I secured the usb connectors
so they don't move at all and hasn't failed after that.
__________________
If at first you don't succeed, chuck it all in and go for a ride!
thepretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:33 PM   #15
cfives
Veteran
 
cfives's Avatar
 
Contributor

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: reno
Motorcycles: EX400
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post
...

The only thing I can think of doing is getting a helmet camera. How do you guys manage all the video data? Or do you just record over it every time?
...
A helmet cam is good if you want to document that other drivers are asshats, but flipping off a car that almost hit you, probably isn't in your best interest. Better to assume that other vechicles are hell bent on colliding with you, than that they are competent, law abiding drivers.
cfives is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.