BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 06-15-2019, 06:28 AM   #16
bmwbob51
BMWBOB

Motorcycles: 2014 BMW 1200GS 74 Norton Commando
Name: Bob
Just remember that you're invisible. I've had drivers look right through me and pull out. I see so many crash videos with the same scenario or riding in the blind spot!
bmwbob51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:34 AM   #17
norcalAF
Rookie

Motorcycles: Speed Triple
Name:
Only deliberately a-hole driver I have seen was a fella that purposely crowded the center at a stop light. He honestly went so far over the lane divider to block me that the car beside him moved partially onto the shoulder. I just went around him on his left because there was more than half a lane and by that point everyone was stopped and he didn't have enough room to try to block me again. It's kinda hard to imagine someone would deliberately risk killing someone for kicks, but this guy did it. This was in Vacaville a few years back in broad daylight. Nearly every ride I see someone driving like a moron and it's nearly 100% cell phone to the ear or in the hand staring at it. I would love to see aggressive enforcement of current traffic code.
norcalAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:36 AM   #18
norcalAF
Rookie

Motorcycles: Speed Triple
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob51 View Post
Just remember that you're invisible. I've had drivers look right through me and pull out. I see so many crash videos with the same scenario or riding in the blind spot!
I can't echo this enough, I'm always a little faster than traffic unless I find a nice gap to cruise in. Of course someone always tries to close that gap.
norcalAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:03 AM   #19
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post
A white SUV or van is in the right turn lane in the opposite intersection immediately adjacent to the on ramp. The driver looks right through me as I proceed, then makes the right-on-red turn onto the on ramp completely violating my right of way. She not only does this, but hops over all the way to the left lane during her turn and almost nails me. It's almost like it was deliberate the timing was perfect to take me out. I had to swerve HARD and almost went down. There was very little room to maneuver as I was inches from the concrete wall and her car.
Fixed that for you.

She did not see you. You were in her plain sight blind spot. You simply did not exist.
#69 #45
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:11 AM   #20
JesseJames

Motorcycles: '93 DR250, '09 DR650 '05 SV650s
Name:
Thanks everyone. I should have put this in general to start. To clarify a little bit- I noticed the white van/suv when the light changed. They stopped. Then when my light was green and I was halfway to the onramp and accelerating, they began their extremely wide dangerously oblivious turn.
I tend to always assume cars are not my friends, and never get comfortable riding in any one position. Sometimes it seems as if someone sees you or is paying specific special attention to you, only to do something that seems so intentionally dangerous, there could be no other reason for it. For example, trying to pinch a rider when legally splitting lanes. This happens, not a lot, but enough to be a thing.
I try to be non-reactive when riding or driving. Much easier when riding since I have so many more options. I was recently involved in a car wreck driving my pickup truck where I collided with another vehicle corner to corner. In this accident, I was crossing an intersection going no more than 15 mph. The other car involved came from a parking spot or around the corner and was hauling ass(50mph).
They clearly timed it, and were talking to a lawyer before they got out of their car. Such an obvious scam, and I'm on the lookout now since these opportunists are everywhere and especially common where I live. Now i'm getting sued for an equal fault accident, that would be her fault if all the evidence and facts were present.
Just to repeat what everyone is echoing- be on the lookout and do not trust anyone at face value on the road.

Last edited by JesseJames; 06-15-2019 at 08:34 AM..
JesseJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:20 AM   #21
gixxerjeff
I hate quads

Motorcycles: Some fast ones and some dirty ones.
Name: Derp
You just need to ride more.

Assume you are invisible.
Assume not everyone is paying as much attention as you are.
Assume people's ignorance is not intentional.
Assume risks are just part of the game.
You'll be just fine.

Time may be an excellent teacher but it kills all of it's students.

Rich Cox
Nicky
I miss you Rich.
gixxerjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:42 AM   #22
sanjuro
Rider

Motorcycles: GSX-R 1000
Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post
Thanks everyone. I should have put this in general to start. To clarify a little bit- I noticed the white van/suv when the light changed. They stopped. Then when my light was green and I was halfway to the onramp and accelerating, they began their extremely wide dangerously oblivious turn.
I tend to always assume cars are not my friends, and never get comfortable riding in any one position. Sometimes it seems as if someone sees you or is paying specific special attention to you, only to do something that seems so intentionally dangerous, there could be no other reason for it. For example, trying to pinch a rider when legally splitting lanes. This happens, not a lot, but enough to be a thing.
I try to be non-reactive when riding or driving. Much easier when riding since I have so many more options. I was recently involved in a car wreck driving my pickup truck where I collided with another vehicle corner to corner. In this accident, I was crossing an intersection going no more than 15 mph. The other car involved came from a parking spot or around the corner and was hauling ass(50mph).
They clearly timed it, and were talking to a lawyer before they got out of their car. Such an obvious scam, and I'm on the lookout now since these opportunists are everywhere and especially common where I live. Now i'm getting sued for an equal fault accident, that would be her fault if all the evidence and facts were present.
Be on the lookout and do not trust anyone at face value on the road.
I think the only thing you can do is minimize when you are not in control of the situation.

In this situation, you made your left turn then accelerated to the onramp, but you still had to pass a SUV who made a wide right in front of you. Until you passed the right turn lane, any vehicle could have turned and cut you off.

I use the approach slow/pass quick method. I go through most intersections with controlled speed because anything could happen, but when the road is open, I accelerate away. In your situation, you started your acceleration in the intersection rather than the onramp, where there is no risk of a cut-off.

One thing to consider is you are on a motorcycle. I don't need a lot of distance to accelerate to highway speeds (except that cops don't like vehicles going from 20mph to 80 in 1 second). You don't need to push it until you are in the clear.

There is still a chance that as you pass the right-turn lane, a car will inexplicably turn then. That when you pass quickly, minimizing the time in contact.

Last edited by sanjuro; 06-15-2019 at 08:44 AM..
sanjuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:03 AM   #23
JakesKTM
Veteran

Motorcycles: XT225
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuro View Post
First thing is that I expect drivers to do these kinds of things, so when it happens, I almost congratulate myself on predicting it.

Do I have an extreme reaction, like anger or shock? No. Again, I'm expecting drivers to do something horrible, so emotion doesn't control my riding.
This is really really really good advice OP. It is a bottom line behavior for me as a 30+ year rider.

Your expectations control your reactions not just on a bike, but off it as well

Regards,

”The world needs to be changed. The inequality in this world is, to be honest with you, disgraceful.”
~ Elton John addressing the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland and director of the IMF
JakesKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #24
NeilInPacifica
Veteran

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: 2017 FZ-09 2016 12GS, 2015 Versys 650
Name: Neil
There are times when drivers appear to be genuinely out to get you. For example, one very early Sunday morning, still dark, I was riding north on 1 in Pacifica and just before my Sharp Park exit I cut a cage off. No malice intended, just me being a dick thinking no cage is going to go faster than me on my FZ-09 up Sharp Park that I've been taking for decades every single day. Nope, this guy was pissed and chased me all the way up to 35 no more than 2 feet behind my rear tire. I mean we are talking 70 mph up Sharp Park in the dark. Didn't back off until we reached other traffic at 35. Scary.

Yes, I know "don't be a dick" is good advice.
NeilInPacifica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #25
russ69
Backside Slider

Motorcycles: I like 'em
Name: Russ
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuro View Post
First thing is that I expect drivers to do these kinds of things, so when it happens, I almost congratulate myself on predicting it...Again, I'm expecting drivers to do something horrible...
To be more clear on this...it's up to you to save your own ass, you are on a bike, your right of way means nothing. Not only should you anticipate problems, you should expect them and plan appropriately. After more than 45 years of riding on the street, It is very rare I get surprised by the actions of others.

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!"
russ69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:29 AM   #26
clutchslip
Not as fast as I look.

AMA #: 400179
Contributor ++xoxox++BB++++++!

Motorcycles: Ones faster than I can ride them.
Name: Skippy Dog
Not to beat a dead horse, but just to make sure we get the message out about being invisible:

I am not sure this was malice, either, but just a driver mentally not seeing the o.p.. It doesn't mean they didn't look at you. It just means you didn't register or their depth/speed perceptions are poor. People do this stuff to trucks and SUVs too. Just not as often. Ask a professional semi driver.

Like NeilInPacifica, I have really had people try to run me off the road or run me over. There is a difference.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:04 AM   #27
newbiker
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2016 Ninja Zx6r
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepretender View Post
I've switched to giving a thumbs down instead of the finger. I figure they will get the point and the finger just pisses them off and makes them defencive not thinking of why your upset.

Innovv K2 on one bike and K1 on the other. Front and rear cameras that record to mini DVR. They fill up the card then start overwriting the oldest files. 256 gig card on K2 gives about 23 hours of filming 128 gig card in K1 about 11 hours.I'm always recording automatically.
PERFECT Solution

Now if you can post a thread for your set up with cameras - this isn't luxury anymore but part of your gear now-a-days. Everyone should have cams.

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #28
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Glad you are OK OP.

Some good advice here... I don't flip off cagers. I will use the "What up with that?" palm to the sky once in a while perhaps with a little head shake when warranted... and safe.

I won't bother if I think there is anything wonky with the driver or situation that could put me in danger. No way I am going to win that battle.

Invisible. Yes.. we are!

like you are invisible.
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:47 AM   #29
thereisnospork

Motorcycles: sv650s
Name:
fwiw that particular right on red then immediate shift to left lane (for 580/80) move is really common at that ramp. Used to commute through that interchange and saw it at least weekly. There are two right turn lanes onto the ramp from that direction and people either dgaf or wind up inside-out all the time.
thereisnospork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:47 PM   #30
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, RM250
Name: Steve
People in the Bay Area are just fucked up, full stop. I was on the SMB. Had a middle aged soccer mom come into my lane. She's right next to me, LOOKING right at me. I was in my freaking TRUCK!!! She just kept coming. I can't wait to leave this shit hole place

Mad