Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Yes please!
Name: Tom
Whodat stars in the Iron Butt Rally

For those unfamiliar, one of our BARFers has ridden 3 Iron Butt Rallies and intends to start his 4th tomorrow. To be a finisher of THE RALLY, you must ride at least 11,000 miles in 11 days. Most riders go farther, and the winners generally do it more efficiently than the rest. This can be described as a "treasure hunt" type rally where the riders must visit certain places or solve small puzzles to gather points.

I've started this thread for discussion of this year's Iron Butt Rally and the various topics that it brings into everyday motorcycling and such.

The Iron Butt Rally is an individual participant event. For those reasons you will not find it in the typical internet moment-by-moment updates. Mostly, we get a written update by a past Iron Butt Rally participant and some fun stuff people put together long after it all went down (that usually means a day or two.)

Lots of reading to keep up, but it's usually entertaining and informative.

Read here:
http://ibr.wvi.com/
Old 06-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #2
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: Ď18 Alta EX006, Ď17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM503 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
Yes please!

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:00 PM   #3
dittoalex
Too much lean angle...

Motorcycles: XB9SX, Zero SR
Name: Alexandru
I'm impressed by that auxillary fuel tank.
dittoalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:43 PM   #4
hophead
Veteran

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: American
Name: Dan
boney thanks for the link! I’ve always had an interest in and respect for these riders of IBR. I just quickly scanned the link and look forward 5o reading more but, and count me as one of the ignorant here bud did read about a rider from the Bay Area named Andy, had an issue with his bike it seems, same guy?
hophead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:46 PM   #5
boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hophead View Post
boney thanks for the link! Iíve always had an interest in and respect for these riders of IBR. I just quickly scanned the link and look forward 5o reading more but, and count me as one of the ignorant here bud did read about a rider from the Bay Area named Andy, had an issue with his bike it seems, same guy?
Yes, Whodat is Andy. He rode his bike to South Carolina so he could ride an 11,000-ish mile rally. Then he'll ride it home. It seems the final drive began to leak oil, and the dealer in Grand Junction was very helpful.

Quote:
Andy had a slightly more serious issue with his 2009 BMW
1200GSA. The final drive started leaking oil all over the rear tire. Yes, if you have followed past IBR reports, you have read about far too many ridersí
hopes and dreams being crushed by the infamous BMW final drive failures. However, in this case, the final drive had about 200,000 miles on it, so maybe it was due.
The rules state that you may not carry a gas-can but you can carry up to 11 gallons of gas total between your fuel tank and a fuel cell. Most of the fuel cells are pre-plumbed to the main tank and pump their contents into the main tank with an auxiallary fuel pump operated manually. Safety and consistency is a concern here, in my opinion, as a fuel cell is mounted and inspected for safety, and a gas can is, well, plastic and disposable, making it harder to track the possession and use of.

Photos from: https://hobartphoto.zenfolio.com/p387264174
Old 06-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #6
cheez
Master Of The Darkside

Motorcycles: I'm not picky.
Name:
It takes a unique person to do the IBR- I've considered it but it's just such a serious commitment that I haven't stepped up to it yet. Some of these LD riders are amazing in their determination to make miles without stopping... the above fuel tanks being a great example.
2008 Harley Davidson FLHP Road King Police (Porky The Pig Bike!)
2004 Suzuki Burgman 650 (Ingrid Burgman)
2003 Honda VTX1800R (Punkin II- riding the darkside)
2002 Honda VTX1800R (Poor Punkin got smashed by an inattentive kid)

IBA # 57764 || Patriot Guard Rider || Independent

Last edited by cheez; 06-16-2019 at 03:53 PM..
cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:20 PM   #7
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Light Bee MX, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
I don't even think I've done a 1000 miles in a day. O_O you must have an iron butt to do 11 days worth O_O
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:30 PM   #8
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Rooting for Whodat always. Bummer on the troubles.

I don’t have the metal for this stuff, but sure respect the passion and effort the riders put in.
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #9
boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

BTW, if you've been to Kernville and visited Cyclesmiths motorcycle shop then you may have met Wendy Crockett. She is also riding the Iron Butt. (Her family no longer owns it.)

They started this morning. Follow along here:
https://spotwalla.com/locationViewer.php?id=664
Let it refresh on it's own, please, or the server will blow.

Last edited by boney; 06-17-2019 at 11:57 AM..
boney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:30 PM   #10
mrzuzzo
Loud pipe & bright lights

Contributor +

Motorcycles: The one outside of Starbucks
Name: Victor
Wow, someone is doing this on a '74 Suzuki GT750... two-stroke, 3-cyl.

That's courage!
mrzuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:55 PM   #11
aciurczak
slower would be backwards

BARF CAL 24 rider 08 /09

Motorcycles: '13 R1200RT, '13 Ninja 300, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E
Name:
Go Andy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boney View Post
To be a finisher of THE RALLY, you must ride at least 11,000 miles in 11 days. Most riders go farther, and the winners generally do it more efficiently than the rest.
Most riders are on a 1,000+ mile/day pace when riding, but due to quite a few factors, very few actually hit over the 11k mark (only 10 riders in 2015, 17 in 2017, out of 100+ starters). Day 1 and Day 11 are short, there are 2 checkpoints that take a good portion of 2 other days, and 3 other rest bonuses (min 4 hrs). Riders are counted as finishers regardless of miles, but they typically have to score a minimum number of points. This translates roughly to a certain number of miles depending on chosen routes, and there were some finishers in both the 2017 and 2015 events who rode between 7,000 and 8,000 miles. All of the swag does use that tagline ("11 days / 11k miles!"), but that's a rough & optimistic estimate, not a minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boney View Post
The rules state that you may not carry a gas-can but you can carry up to 11 gallons of gas total between your fuel tank and a fuel cell. Most of the fuel cells are pre-plumbed to the main tank and pump their contents into the main tank with an auxiallary fuel pump operated manually.
There are some setups that require fuel pumps, like those taildraggers; but most of the IBR setups have morphed to simple gravity feed. It's just one less thing to break, with a simple mechanical valve to open to allow the fuel to drain from one tank to the other. The aux fuel is a huge help for rallies like this, and the vast majority of entrants have one set up. If a bike, even a large sport touring type bike, carries 6 gallons - that means you may have only 4.5 - 5 gallons usable, as you need to be worried about finding the next fuel stop with that last bit. Stopping at the side of the road out of gas could destroy a rally with a missed bonus or worse, and by design much of these rallies often puts you in the middle of nowhere, where fuel isn't nearly as plentiful. Adding an aux tank to 10+ gallons (11.5 limit), means you can have more than double the usable range. During the rally it's still rare to get close to zero, but having 400+ mile range on board means you have many more options in routing without worrying about the nearest fuel.

For more reading:

2017 event

2015 event

2013 event

2011 event

Last edited by aciurczak; 06-17-2019 at 05:12 PM..
aciurczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:13 PM   #12
aciurczak

BARF CAL 24 rider 08 /09

Motorcycles: '13 R1200RT, '13 Ninja 300, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E
Name:
One of the changes for this year is the accuracy of the GPS coordinates of the waypoints. In the past few IBRs, the GPS waypoint was pretty much spot-on. If you could get the bike (or yourself) to that point, you were likely standing right on the bonus. This meant that once programmed into your route, you only had to refer back to the bonus book to figure out what you needed to get, after you were already right in the correct spot. For this 2019 event:

Quote:
The riders have the bonus information, however, Jeff and the Rallymaster want the riders to carefully read the info and directions listed for each bonus. To help make this happen, the GPS coordinates provided in electronic form are close enough to the bonus locations for general routing, but with few exceptions, the coordinates are not at the exact bonus location. Riders will need to read each bonus description to determine both the directions for the waypoint and the requirements to collect the bonus.
IMO, this is huge. Years back during the Cal24 rally, GPS coordinates were initially given the same way (fuzzy, aiming at center of town rather than the exact location), so riders who weren't using GPS units would have a fair shot. In reality, virtually all were using GPS, but nevertheless, it added to the challenge. As a GPS weenie myself, I was not a fan! What this means is that riders have to really know what the next bonus is by reading ahead in the book, and keep that in mind when they get closer to route themselves past the GPS point to wherever the actual location might be. That could mean 2 stops at some/many bonus locations rather than 1, as well as with the random time it takes to actually find the bonus. A moderate challenge on day 1. A brain-frying challenge as they get deeper into the rally.

Last edited by aciurczak; 06-17-2019 at 05:10 PM..
Old 06-17-2019, 04:47 PM   #13
dittoalex
Too much lean angle...

Motorcycles: XB9SX, Zero SR
Name: Alexandru

158 and 129
dittoalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:01 PM   #14
boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

Thanks for the clarifications!
Old 06-17-2019, 05:18 PM   #15
aciurczak

BARF CAL 24 rider 08 /09

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dittoalex View Post
158 and 129
I can just imagine what's going on inside their helmets at the moment! Those are small, crowded, heavily traffic-lighted roads all the way down to Kitty Hawk and beyond. On Day 1 they certainly have a plan in mind, but may already be stressing about making less progress than they expected. Good luck to all the riders! (especially Andy!)

Wait, where the &@*#&@*( is 172?

Click image for larger version

Name:	172.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	521450

I wouldn't have thought they would hop on a boat of some sort at this point, but those GPS coordinates are quite strange. Just prior it looked like they were parked at that Ocracoke Island visitors center.

Last edited by aciurczak; 06-17-2019 at 05:25 PM..