BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Group Rides (scheduled, w/date in the title)

Old 05-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
i_am_the_koi
Be Here Now

AMA #: 2823804
Contributor + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + 8%

Motorcycles: 2005 Concours 2002 KLR
Name: The Koi
Koi's Misfits - GaryJ Celebration Ride from the North Bay 6/10

Just posting this for any Misfits interested in riding down to the coast down south with me ((Where I'm going to assume the celebration of life ride will be)) on June 10th.

The celebration will begin around noon so I plan on leaving the Northbay by 8:15am at the latest!

Thread has been updated, here's a linky

Quote:
What: GaryJ Celebration of Life Gathering
When: Sunday June 10, 2012
Time: 12 noon - 2:30 PM at Pescadero State Beach then Celebration Ride to Jill's house.
3:30PM to 7:00 PM BBQ at Jill's house
Meet will be at 7:45am: Starbucks in the Safeway Shopping center ((the one with the gas station))
101 West American Canyon Road if you need to google.

KSU will be 8:15, so if you plan on getting coffee make sure you plan on waiting in line with the rest of the Misfits and show up early. I will leave you behind if you are still sipping your cup o joe...

We are going to try and attend the Patriot Riders and Jill down to the beach.

They are meeting at a Valero Gas Station in Scott's Valley at 10:30, meet at 10:45 and KSU at 11am. Address is 5451 Scotts Valley Drive if you wanna google it and we will be going over the GG to get there but instead of going down the coast we'll try and make time on 280 to make it. if we get on the road by 8:15 then we should be to the station by 10:30. Linky to ROUTEI plan on attending the Celebration ride and some of the BBQ with the goal of leaving by 6pm-ish...

GaryJ was one of the first people I talked to on BARF after I was given the honor of planning out rides and events for what would become Koi's Misifts. He gave me lots of advice on group ride philosophy and I always wished I could attend any of his rides that were posted but mostly his "True Grit" rain rides. I give him credit for most of what I say, think, and promote on any ride I organize and probably can accredit the fact that no rider has gone down at more then 1mph to him.

He was a true gentleman on BARF and everything I've heard about him in the flesh makes him a saint of our sport.

Koi's Speech!

As always, Be prepared to get gas at the start, route is 85 miles roughly from Start to the celebration so SHOW UP WITH GAS at the start and there will be gas on the way... somewhere

We will probably stop close to the final destination so that if there is a memorial ride we aren't already riding on fumes.

KSU: 9:15am

Meet starts at 8:30am (coffee drinkers show early)

I do ride ATGATT and hope you do too. If there are new rider's we will have a pre-ride safety meeting to ensure we're all on the same page.

"A" Number 1 Goal is to return with the same amount of bike's and the same amount of rider's we left with.

I believe in The Pace and ride accordingly.

The Two Rules I have... and I hate rules... but the two rules I enforce:

BE FRIENDLY!

BE SAFE!

That being said if you are wanting to learn to ride, please don't expect us to teach you. If you have the skills and just need some seat time... this group is for you!!! Does that mean 500 miles or a thousand? I can't tell you but before you join a group ride be sure you can join one safely.

I will wait for the last person so don't be afraid of being ditched. Please know the route as best as you can and if you want a map ask and I will have them for you at the start. But we will wait at major direction changes to ensure no lost chickies. If you are going to leave somewhere mid-route let someone know so we don't send search parties for you as your sitting on your couch. Please make sure to grab someone's cell phone in case you get lost, or decide to go home you can send a txt or call.

I will not listen to complaint's that you did not reach 6th gear, that you didn't drag your knee enough, or that you are melting.

I can do nothing about it if you feel that there's too much traffic, believe me if I knew of a quicker route I'd be leading that way unless I feel that some of our group might not be ready for the alternative.
I will not lane split as the lead.
I will not pass people as the lead ((VW Van's may be exempt from this rule ))

I do not want to EVER hear that other rider's are going too slow. This is a Mellow Ride and should be friendly towards all riders. If you want to ride faster nothing is stopping you, ride your PACE and know the route so that you can be parked and de-geared at the next meeting point instead of being in your helmet. But Please, I don't want to come around a corner and find you in a world of hurt, or even worse, buzz right past you and not realize your off in the woods.

More Importantly, I don't want anyone to feel pressured to go faster then they are comfortable with. I hope that everyone has the experience level to be comfortable with speeding up on a straight away to catch the group ((not talking anything crazy but enough to make up some ground)) but I also don't expect you to keep up with any one rider's pace while in the twisties.

Anything larger then 4 I will ask for a sweep. I do not expect them to maintain sweep position the entire ride but if you sign up please be responsible and wait till we stop and you can let people know who the new sweep is.

Group's larger then 10 and we will arrange a 2nd lead and have 2 sweeps so that we can limit the length of stops at directional changes.

Let's

Koi's Adventure Journal
Buy a Misfit Patch

Last edited by i_am_the_koi; 06-09-2012 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: title change
i_am_the_koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
Star Man
Old Pro

Contributor

Motorcycles: Have more than I deserve....yet still want more :-)
Name: Greg
date saved

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

RIP Craig Hightower 8/14/07
You will ride forever in our hearts

RIP Terry Dilley 11/9/2014
Star Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
TigerLily
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2003 SV650
Name: Brianna
I'm there.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
Nufc9
Veteran

Motorcycles: Ninja 250
Name: Tim
Work allowing, in
Old 05-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
Maygoddess
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2016 Yamaha, FZ-07,2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Name:
Sorry to miss this...Curve Unit Sunday..of course! :|

Maygoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:18 AM   #6
i_am_the_koi
Be Here Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maygoddess View Post
Sorry to miss this...Curve Unit Sunday..of course! :|
I know that this also was the CU ride, but with circumstances, I think I'm going to go down south instead.

Koi's Adventure Journal
Buy a Misfit Patch
Old 05-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
Maygoddess
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2016 Yamaha, FZ-07,2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_the_koi View Post
I know that this also was the CU ride, but with circumstances, I think I'm going to go down south instead.
well..does not matter Koi..you were not invited anyway!

ALL GIRLS in June! Awesome ride to jackson..

yeah..sucks to miss Gary J's memorial ride though..

lead the misfits to glory down there!!

Maygoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:30 AM   #8
i_am_the_koi
Be Here Now

Updated Meet and Route with final destination and link to the Celebration thread.

Koi's Adventure Journal
Buy a Misfit Patch
Old 05-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
Griffindor
rookie

Motorcycles: ___~~]○ / \ ● ●
Name: Will
'nice reason (in memory of Gary) to ride down south hwy.1 & of course add the gorgeous views of it....'have fun you all & enjoy the views. I haven't riden there myself
Maybe one of these days. of course, it won't be too hot either for all, riding by the ocean.

Last edited by Griffindor; 05-24-2012 at 01:27 PM..
Griffindor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
rodr
I'rn the one on the left.

AMA #: 2846730
Contributor + + + +

Motorcycles: 2016 CB500XA
Name: Rod
Most likely in.
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:32 AM   #11
i_am_the_koi
Be Here Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffindor View Post
'nice reason (in memory of Gary) to ride down south hwy.1 & of course add the gorgeous views of it....'have fun you all & enjoy the views. I haven't riden there myself
Maybe one of these days. of course, it won't be too hot either for all, riding by the ocean.
Not sure if this means that you are coming or not coming... but if you are not, you really should get a pass for this one...

I just switched my schedule to Sun/Mon so I'll hit you up with some Monday riding if you are free as well.

Koi's Adventure Journal
Buy a Misfit Patch
Old 05-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #12
i_am_the_koi
Be Here Now

Just updating some info.... We will be attempting to park across the street in the circled green box on Pescadero Creek Road and then walking to the beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pig View Post
For those of you who are coming to the event at the beach. I recommend you park across the street. We have the north lot reserved for us. The park rangers have been very nice to us and they would like to leave the other two lots open to the public. Plus, if anybody's ever been into the Pescadero lot, it's not very safe for the average rider. Lots of sand and ruts on the way to the north lot. They did mention to me that there is an $8 per vehicle fee, so parking across the street is not only easier, but more economical.

Here is a picture of the entrance to the beach.

Standing in the same spot, but turning to the right, this is the lot I am talking about across the street. The dirt there is much harder packed and is more flat so parking there will be easier. Just be sure to look both ways before crossing Highway 1.

Green = parking areas. I recommend parking along Pescadero Creek Rd for safer parking conditions and to avoid the $8 fee.
Orange = the beach that the Celebration of Life will be held at.

Koi's Adventure Journal
Buy a Misfit Patch
Old 06-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
ShaneB

Motorcycles: 2012 Ducati Monster 1100 evo
Name: Shane
See you there

Koi,

I'll meet you at the beach and then ride to the bbq as well. Leaving around 6 is good. Will be good to see you and the misfits again.

Shane
ShaneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #14
Cincinnatus
Not-quite retired Army

AMA #: 2818353
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel Contributor ++!

Motorcycles: Screaming yellow 2006 BMW K1200R, baby!
Name: SweeperBot
In. Most definitely in.
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - President John F. Kennedy, Democrat
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #15
ThumperX
Veteran

AMA #: 2817058
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor++++++++ +++++++++++++++ ++++++++++3%
Barf Roadside Angel and more!

Motorcycles: Different strokes Big Bore and little bore Thumpers
Name:
I have to work
Have a good ride!
Treat a feral woman with respect, once trust is earned she may start bringing you food.
You go where you look!
HOHO
ThumperX is offline   Reply With Quote