Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Adventure Riding

Old 05-07-2013, 06:25 AM   #1
slowblood
is slow

AMA #: 2846482
Contributor +

Motorcycles: A Duc and a Trump
Name: Kyle
Western Wander 2013 - (May/June) 4 weeks, 8 states.

Last Sept, 2012, I did my first Western Wander. A solo tour of the a few Western states Iíve never visited. I had about 3 weeks travel a 3,600 mile loop through 7 states. I had posted this trip in a thread on the Barf Forum: http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums...d.php?t=408540
This time, Iíll also share it on AdvRider too.

This time, Iíve got 4 weeks and will start with the Overland Expo in Flagstaff, AZ. Hereís my loose plan, starting from San Francisco. The Triumph Tiger is just about ready to go. Hitting the road in 1 week!

slowblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:01 AM   #2
dtrides
Veteran

Contributor ++++ + + + + 4%

Motorcycles: Aprilia Tuono Factory for the street, Sv 650s for the track
Name: Duncan
Kyle, I can hook you up on some fun roads from Grants Pass on your way to Eureka if you are interested
DT
Old 05-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
slowblood
is slow

Contributor +

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrides View Post
Kyle, I can hook you up on some fun roads from Grants Pass on your way to Eureka if you are interested
DT
The destinations are all subject to change and whim. But I'm pretty sure I'll be coming down from Oregon. My Mom and family are in Oregon/Idaho so I'm likely to see them.

I want any route that get me off I-5 and much as possible and I can have my revenge on Crater Lake (snowed out last time)
Old 05-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
MadEnglishCow
Keeper of the stick

Contributor +

Motorcycles: CB600F, CB500X
Name: Carolyn
Hey Kyle,

Looks like a good'un. SFSuz and I are just back from a 4 state little National Parks tour on our 500's - Go team 500. We got as far NE as the spectacular Arches, Dead Horse Point and Moab. If you're looking for a place to stay in Moab, the Inca Inn is very moto friendly and run by some cool peeps.

Here's some of our route which is close to yours, 'cept we did it in reverse and tried to avoid huge slogs on I40. We came down through Flagstaff, to pick up 89a, just freshly paved west of the old mining town of Jerome. It's a stunner for scenery and twisties and shouldn't be missed. Hope you have the time. Then we did some of the obligatory Rte 66, which is hardly used but only gets exciting west of Kingman in the Black Mtns. Plus there's a fun little stop to be had by visiting the wild burro's in Oatman.

[gmap]<iframe width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&amp;msid=201108023313908252224.0004dc256a17fb0aaf135&amp;hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=m&amp;z=8&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&amp;msid=201108023313908252224.0004dc256a17fb0aaf135&amp;hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=m&amp;z=8&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">Say hi to the wild burro's route</a> in a larger map</small>[/gmap]
MadEnglishCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
veefereefer
Veteran

BARF Moderator - Moto Photos
Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 06 600rr, 91' VFR750F, 99 F4, 97 XR400R, 09 DRZSM, 08 WR250R/X
Name: Dude
Looks fun....well except for A to B. Take lots of pics!

BARF TOS
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php
veefereefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
slowblood
is slow

Contributor +

PREP

I was planning to pack minimally and travel lightly. But this still had to include a laptop, tablet, phone and 3 cameras. The purple journal would have sufficed back in the 20th Century. Ha.

My ever-changing setup: this time, I added the panniers and lost the rolled-duffel. Ií can carry a little bit more stuff and Iíll be able to leave the bike locked and secure.

This weekend, I took some time to install:

1. Hand guards
2. Larger foot for the kickstand
3. Replacement Air filter
4. Happy Trails panniers

The bike is ready for the ride out tomorrow. Since we are leaving a day early, weíll target Big Pine on the other side the Sierras. Then ride through Death Valley the next day.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #7
Nemo Brinker
Tonight we ride

Mod Alumni
Contributor + +

Motorcycles: '04 919, '04 DR650
Name: Legion
Sah-weet! Have a fantastic time, keep us updated as you can.
Nemo Brinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:49 AM   #8
dtrides
Veteran

Contributor ++++ + + + + 4%

Motorcycles: Aprilia Tuono Factory for the street, Sv 650s for the track
Name: Duncan
Have a blast Kyle! I will send my C-phone # to you in a pm for our pre-rally meet up Friday the 7th.
DT
Old 05-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #9
slowblood
is slow

Contributor +

Day 1 - Riding Out

We were able to leave a day early, so we bailed on I5 and Barstow and decided to go through Yosemite and Tioga Pass. This would let up go through Death Valley the next day.

Hwy 120, Yosemite

Then with the altitude came the snow.

Then came the rain, sleet, hail, thunder over Tioga Pass.

On 395, rain and thunder gave way to high winds.

Nice start to a trip!

Last edited by slowblood; 05-19-2013 at 08:08 PM..
Old 05-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
SRAD600
Veteran

AMA #3347697
Contributor

Motorcycles: broken one's
Name: Eldrick
Looks like a great start to your trip. I'm in...
Old 05-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
slowblood
is slow

Contributor +

Day 2 Wed.

I woke up early in Big Pine, to go for a run down Hwy 168 to the Death Valley Rd junction. I just want to see what the road looked like, for future reference.

On this trip, we took Hwy 190 from Lone Pine all the way through. It was 104F, but as long as you where moving it wasn't bad. We stopped at Stovepipe Wells for lunch before continuing on through Furnace Creek to Nevada-side.

This travel day went by without any events like the first day. We planned our stop at the Fiesta in Henderson, thinking that it was far enough out of town, but we still caught the evening commute traffic.

A road ride should always be proper ended poolside.

Last edited by slowblood; 06-03-2013 at 04:34 PM..
Old 05-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #12
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman

-- Western Wander --
My two wheels find Rain thunder high winds...day one is done.
Day two brings the heat as miles change the world....he soldiers happily on.

Kyle you inspired me.
Have fun and ride safe
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #13
RRR70
The Gun Guy

AMA #: 1019218
Friendly Ukrainian Gun Dealer
BARFIE winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor ! +++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++BB

Motorcycles: KTM 1190 - orange pig. 2005 FXSTI
Name: Roman

I wish I could take time off.

RRR70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #14
slowblood
is slow

Contributor +

Day 3 - Take Route 66

We left the hotel in Henderson at 10am and headed for Kingman, on Hwy 93. If you want wind, you got wind. What is it about Lake Powell and that Hoover Dam that produces these crazy gusts? Well, they gave you adequate warning signs to stir up your anxieties. But in the end, there was only one gust that significantly pushed my bike sideways.

The cool thing about rallies is that you can meet people on the road headed the to the same destination. Sometimes on the road, you just wave. Sometimes at a stop, you get a chance to meet and talk. At Kingman, we meet Kurt, Butch and Jeremy and a couple of trucks in tow.

They let us join them on their ride, they knew of good place to stop for lunch on Route 66. This circumvented a bit of I-40 and we got to eat at Delgadilloís in Seligman. Cool place and now I can saw Iíve been on Route 66.

After lunch, it was back to I-40 to Flagstaff and a short ride to Mormon Lake. Entered Overland Expo and we set up camp around the open arena that will be the off-road motorcycle training area. RawHyde provided dinner, then it was sleepy-time.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #15
slowblood
is slow

Contributor +

Day 4, 5 - RawHyde Intro to Dirt Training

I didn’t plan this trip well. My friend, Henry suggested it to me and I said yes, but I didn’t sign up for the RawHyde Level 1: Intro to Dirt Class. I was just gonna tag along for the expo then ride on my Western Wander after the weekend.

But clarity stuck on my morning jog along Mormon Lake. Out of all the organized rides and free classes, I actually wanted to take the formal Level 1 - Two day Intro to Dirt class. Heck, I may need some of these skills on my 4 week jaunt around the West. I needed it last year!

Stephanie at breakfast was able to fit me in at the last moment, bring the class to 16 students for 4 instructors. That’s square!

I made a good choice. I spent my time Friday and Saturday, in class, practicing all the drills for off-pavement riding. Getting to control my bike with clutch and brakes. Learned to intentionally skid the rear tire and balance the bike while standing on the pegs. Learned techniques foreign to my Triumph Daytona 675 street style. . The classes ended with a ride down some forest logging trails that were conveniently in the area.

The class was great. The students in the class formed a sense of team as we learned, rode and ate together. It’s was a cool collective experience. After finishing the class, I felt my level of anxiety about off-pavement replaced with a small bit of confidence and eagerness. Now to practice these skills and then maybe next year hit their level 2 training.

The other part of the Expo was the 4-wheel part. After class, I was able to browse the rest of the Expo. Some of those stuff was nuts, but there were some camping/survival product that was applicable to motorcycle adventuring. Got a solar charger from Goal Zero and some apparel that ironically that was based in San Francisco. I never knew what was in my own city.

Last edited by slowblood; 06-04-2013 at 05:11 PM..