Notices

Old 03-24-2020, 11:45 AM   #1
viva_brasil
Veteran

Contributor +++++++++++++++

Motorcycles: EBR, Pani, 999/1198S
Name: Nik
Ducati HyperScrambler build

This thread is about taking my 999 / 1198S bike and evolving it into my ideal street bike.

My street riding has come down a lot since my track riding has gone up, and I definitely do not want to ride anything in a 'sport' position on the street. Which basically made my 999 / 1198S build a garage ornament.

Part of the inspiration also came from riding a Ducati Scrambler. It's a great bike, I love the position and the style. I wanted to get some of that Scrambler style and feel with the torque and aggression of testastretta generation motors. Also want to be able to ride 2-up and be able to throw slicks on and do some fast laps.

So far I've mounted Scrambler tires and started taking the bike apart so I can add longer throttle cables, build the front end mounting solution, do some reinforcements / updates on the airbox, and paint parts. Aiming to finish it in the next 2-3 weeks.

Parts / specs:
- LSL dirt bars I had lying around
- Pirelli MT60RS tires
- Dirt bar / top triple clamp mounting adapters - I think I found these on E-Bay
- BARK BUSTERS
- Custom 3D printed top triple clamp spacers with 15 degree slope to fit the dirt bar adapters on the sloped OEM triple
- Longer main front brake line from a Multistrada
- Longer throttle cables from a Diavel (seems like this generation Multi, Diavel, and 848/1098/1198 superbike cables all share the same throttle body ends - Multi cables appear to be a bit too long, Diavel should work well)
- Hypermotard front headlight and fairing
- Custom fork and upper triple mount for headlight - adjustable headlight angle and height
- Trimmed / shortened ram air intakes - slash cut
- Side mounted radiator overflow tank
- Side mounted plastic tube on the other side - because symmetry (the tube thing that people put on their adv bikes to carry stuff in)
- Some sort of skid plate - may make my own

All of this on the same 999 frame and 1198S engine / single sided swingarm platform I previously built with custom exhaust, airbox, 1198S traction control, and microtec ECU.

Tires mounted - this was really the first step, had to make sure they would fit or figure out a new wheel / tire solution:

Coolant overflow / reservoir here - a bit overkill on the size and it should ideally be higher than the rad - but it should still work and will match the storage tube on the other side.

These are the 3D printed blocks that match the slope on the OEM top triple clamp and space them sufficiently so the shoulder bolt works - allows the universal dirt bar adapters to work properly on the superbike triple clamp. It's not pretty, with the bars mounted I may do a v2 that more closely follows the contour of the mounts.

Bars mounted and ram air intakes slash cut

Bark buster test fit, fork clamps for headlight lower mount slipped on, tank and airbox pulled to replace the throttle cables
viva_brasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:27 PM   #2
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
Cool.

I am in. This looks like my kind of project....that I could never do.
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:24 PM   #3
viva_brasil
Veteran

Throttle cables update: the cable housing is a good length but the cable itself is too long (the housing end to throttle body length on the Multi / Diavel must be much longer than on the superbikes). So I cut the cable and started looking for a new 5mm barrel brass end - but couldn't find any. I then decided to try to drill out the cable from the barrels I had and worked pretty well. Now I'm waiting on some flux and solid core solder to solder the barrels back onto the shortened cable.

Also started the lower headlight bracket, ordered some grommets and these fit nicely with the Hypermotard headlight mount. Once it's all done I'll paint it black. With no access to the shop (with shear and brake), I had to use my plasma cutter and a vice and hammer - came out nicely given the tools.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:03 AM   #4
augustiron
2fast 2live 2young 2die

Motorcycles: All of them eventually.
Name: nope
A superbike with dirtbike bars (and a scotts damper?)

Classic Barf Homage to OGLou
augustiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:23 AM   #5
Johndicezx9
Rolls with it...

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: :o)
Name: John
Old 03-30-2020, 06:59 PM   #6
viva_brasil
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustiron View Post

Hyperpro damper bro.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:43 AM   #7
matty
Veteran

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: Rat hawks, lil wr250r and Scott Scarabeo
Name: see above
Quote:
Originally Posted by viva_brasil View Post

These are the 3D printed blocks

Is that what 3D printed aluminum looks like? They almost look like magnesium. Either way, subscribed because I always enjoy your builds.
matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:13 AM   #8
Pushrod
Veteran

Motorcycles: VTR, R100RS,CB500
Name:
Pure OG uh-oh.

Subscribed!
Old 03-31-2020, 01:29 PM   #9
viva_brasil
Veteran

The spacers are glass-filled Nylon, did a good amount of research and it was the best option (used 3D Hubs to find the supplier and review the materials). Aluminum was too expensive
Old 03-31-2020, 01:31 PM   #10
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustiron View Post

Good call.

Hope Lou is good.
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:20 PM   #11
SVsick50
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Contributor

Motorcycles: BMX, 1987 Honda Super Magna VF700C
Name: Dion
Brilliant - love the direction!

I love this. I did the same with my SV650 - I bought it already pretty fixed up, but I wanted to make it ever "more upright" with high scrambler bars, found a cross bar I had from like 12 years ago. I had the stock round headlight but opted for a streefighter headlight in reverence for my old Gen1 SV.

One thing I've always loved were the round dirt inspired mirrors. Found them on Amazon for like $25, and they're machined - much better than the plastic ones.

And yes, waaaaayy fun to ride in the street.

I wish I would've went with scrambler tires (or aggressive sport touring tires), considering I do actually take this thing off road, and these soft hyper sport tires are overkill for the type of riding I do.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2264 (1).jpg
Views:	465
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	531419   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2265 (1).jpg
Views:	457
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	531422   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2267 (1).jpg
Views:	457
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	531423  

Last edited by SVsick50; 04-01-2020 at 07:24 PM..
SVsick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:29 PM   #12
Johndicezx9
Rolls with it...

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: :o)
Name: John
Good looking bike!
Old 04-02-2020, 11:54 AM   #13
gixxerjeff
Optimistic Underdog

Motorcycles: Some fast ones and some dirty ones.
Name: Derp
That Terminator headlamp stuff looks groovy.

You must be fast because I was hauling ass when I passed you.

Rich Cox
I miss you Rich.
gixxerjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:15 AM   #14
jumph4x
Do more, bitch less.

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: KTM 1290 SMR
Name: D
First of all, this thread is dope. All your threads are dope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viva_brasil View Post
Throttle cables update: the cable housing is a good length but the cable itself is too long (the housing end to throttle body length on the Multi / Diavel must be much longer than on the superbikes). So I cut the cable and started looking for a new 5mm barrel brass end - but couldn't find any. I then decided to try to drill out the cable from the barrels I had and worked pretty well. Now I'm waiting on some flux and solid core solder to solder the barrels back onto the shortened cable.
I am about to be in a similar boat, but with a drift build (V2) instead. I know these fuckers exist, I just have not been able to hunt down the supplier.

If you look at FIA remote T-pull cable master battery cut off switches, they actually give you a hefty-long pull cable and a set-screw barrel. Of course, in your case the tolerances and clearances might not allow you to use this, also I'm not sure about the pull force rating on these. But for the sake of posterity: all of the following feature a set-screw cable barrel.

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/us/auto...fia6cable-akn/

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/us/life...-cable-244301/

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/us/auto...-cable-242543/

Keep on keeping on.

EDIT: Checked out your YouTube, look who else is into getting sideways!

EDIT2: I just got a modest CNC last year, been enjoying giving myself heart attacks and making dumb shit (I have some foundational background in general purpose 3-axis CNC). As for the 3D printed blocks, is that something akin to SendCutSend or possibly something through Fusion partnership network? I'd enjoy having access to something like this. If so, what's the pricing like?

IG: @Dapper_Drift

Last edited by jumph4x; 04-03-2020 at 10:07 AM..
jumph4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:06 PM   #15
viva_brasil
Veteran

Yoooooo. yea I saw the set screw ones - those look the nicest. some internet 'experts' claim they don't hold the required torque but there are moto throttle cable kits out there with set screw type barrels.

I was looking at the original 1198S cable and the barrel end was crushed / pressed in instead of soldered like the Multistrada cable.

The barrel can't be too wide to fit in the throttle housing, which is why I didn't try the set screw types. The exact on-centeredness of the cable through the barrel doesn't matter as much, so drilling it out slightly off-center should work out...

ha yes! sideways! I need to check out the v2 drift build.

3D hubs is great, I'm not familiar with those but it's essentially just a marketplace but it quotes out for you based on the CAD you upload and matches with their network. This material was $27 per part, and a $45 setup surcharge so total was $100 bucks. Much cheaper than CNC'ed aluminum blocks (in the Bay Area) if I'm just making a pair.