• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Air racing runway mishap

Looked like those other planes were on the move before he put up the canopy.
Visibility out the front of those must suck. Lucky it wasn't worse.

Guy almost lost his right hand.

That would make maneuvering difficult... :teeth :wow :wtf

Looked like those other planes were on the move before he put up the canopy.
Visibility out the front of those must suck. Lucky it wasn't worse.

Nope, he put the canopy up before the green flag and the other planes started rolling under a red flag. Definitely the other pilot's fault.

wow, luckily that hump avoided decapitation, is that one of the designs for that hump to the rear of the pilots head?

wow, luckily that hump avoided decapitation, is that one of the designs for that hump to the rear of the pilots head?

I think that's just fortunate aerodynamic design.

He's really lucky the pilot behind him wasn't 4 feet to his left.

Nope, he put the canopy up before the green flag and the other planes started rolling under a red flag. Definitely the other pilot's fault.

Are you saying all three other planes jumped the start? As I mentioned the other planes were on the move as he was putting the canopy up.

Doesn't matter if there was a jump, the plane behind him shouldn't have passed him at all unless he moved off the main runway.

Raising the canopy is a signal for the runway marshal to put up the red flag, which he did. Red flag means do not proceed. The view out the front of a tail dragger is very limited. These kind of accidents are not uncommon.
At air races, air shows and at the Oshkosh fly in, it is normal for more then one aircraft to take off and land on the same runway. They will have one aircraft land at the beginning of the runway and another halfway down the runway at the same time. Same with take offs.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter if there was a jump, the plane behind him shouldn't have passed him at all unless he moved off the main runway.

Shouldn't? Correct, but most tail draggers have very poor visibility when in a taxi position and can't see straight ahead. When Taxiing in a tail dragger, you often weave instead of going in a straight line to get a look in front of you. For take off, you are completely reliant on the signals to tell you when to go.

Shouldn't? Correct, but most tail draggers have very poor visibility when in a taxi position and can't see straight ahead. When Taxiing in a tail dragger, you often weave instead of going in a straight line to get a look in front of you. For take off, you are completely reliant on the signals to tell you when to go.

They got the white flag https://youtu.be/QnhfJ2c5MGw

This vid is completely damning for the organizer and flaggers. Total fuck up, fire everyone. The pilots did everything correctly and still it became a shit show.

I don't know, watching the cockpit vid again, they have been white flagged pretty much right as he opens his cockpit. The planes in the back are already moving when his canopy goes up. It looks like bad timing to me.

Last edited:
hollllllllllly shittttttttttttttt

the 2nd video where the plane is moving shows absolutely no visibility

i think its one of those, i saw joe schome start moving in the right and left lanes, i dont really bother to check the lights/flags with my own eyes, due to others moving and BAAAAAAAAAAAAAM

Last edited:
Back