• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Alaska - The ride report

After that it was hammer time, I gassed up and tuned into 37. 12 miles later I saw a sign for gas, and decided to stop off because it was a long stretch.

Cool place for gas, indigenous land I believe.

AP1GczOG7Hfg62pZXNG9IETG_oVkPgYlHj_JeRhEVHPTrjUNCCakJ2tq5aFR9A_7K7w4H6z1J8cBefnj61u7fXo9EfWEkp08shCMVdzGtaifh7NWCwoqEXQpxPIIeyOvSo54Zat7djl-6C7XDYgzpHg95KybOQ=w1071-no-gm

The dogs seemed pretty relaxed.

AP1GczP5zjv9AOsQ8KfL_RMjYh0IZhncC5pZmH37D4Nz_obaFr6X9_HXWjXSEXqSZJq7fsF5GHQm8s6uupegjs3AiXyu9ZEn9v56iiKm-NCsD_d0IhgKDA6Vc1yvYK2HQhsgPTmqr-2w2OI0t-W6lzGL1EXLAg=w1071-no-gm

As I was making my way to Meziaden the sun finally made an appearance. I stopped for a quick pic, the bridge right after this was spectacular but I didn't want to stop again, because dinner.

AP1GczOe2mWx8UU3_BSrxjKjMoaT9cpnQOBtBFL00Tgz-gTCfAMCJWVOAMUDCp7apho6kIP-cWhxmG7ErE-hHVELJFLdmZfaPdcwlc08_Ut8wSGmNdFR25dE7LaeBAhbbSgNmhclLlWZ9CvYgU7tZJSc5oI3yQ=w1071-no-gm

I did in fact make it just in time for dinner.

AP1GczPYmVSb1xyW16JDbWrHFWJQ-Jenh-OCspZ5nNdUOzSOzQ48NADYSdsNfhOYHiCltOr5-IUh2hcvOh9kd6qBo1XNrVmAk5AoON-8hnPcE-3el68ZcamffwdzPGInLsy4jfbC6aM1_OknvNbXC3cYNbbwWw=w1071-no-gm

Turns out the place is primarily used to house workers in logging or road repair. I was the only unemployed person staying there. It was basically a private dorm room with shared washrooms. I felt a little in the way at first but everyone was pretty friendly. A few guys same to ask about the bike and my trip as I was cleaning the chain, they were all very shocked to hear where I was from.

A wipe down and fresh oil after a day in the rain seemed like the prudent thing to do.
AP1GczMw86NziSIRJCYwuBxHSxNBsnMmQZwMP7tMxluILfxNvQErwvZJF2p7rIZEJplctTWwVDfgkmHY6FeuNmFFGJV3NCMo-he5FJBZrfRIIdXOrKwNLJ24NTfyBc4M_xAofnhJ5TuErxoZPA-0mgRts3Bk9Q=w1071-no-gm

The dorms

AP1GczMSaySroCA1yGGlJviqiUeGLnV4rZSSxU4qDrqSEujsD3Cv1WoYs3Vmf2h3Tukmvr9GWyhW43Fz7NjTXjKnYN6RlmlFPtzS_ZQl3V6JZY_FyMWIei3jSEtjn8bIOcB_i_qUqbDl0rBLbG8-rb3kFSb2tQ=w1071-no-gm

Fun night, I went to get beer and could only find a 18 pack, but I wanted beer so I bought a lot of Molson figuring I'd leave the rest. As noted above, I found a few guys to help me drink it and we hung out until 10:30 or so shooting the breeze and drinking all the beer. Might explain the mild headache I have today...

Hushpuppies, clams and pilaf Yum. Or are those chicken strips? What the hell are you eating Nate? I'm hungry, talk.

Thanks for the incredible pictures!! I'm feeling a ride-a-bout in my future.

Also shoutout to new BARF for making on the fly ride reports possible!

WOW!! You're really getting into one of my favorite areas of BC!! Smithers, Old Hazleton, Etc. Wish you had time to do the Terrace to Prince Rupert part. The mountains rise right off the Highway. but that may be and extra 6 hours return from the 37 turn-off. I hope you get tons of sun from here onward. Depending when heading back this way things will heat up in the south. The weekend is going to be a ton of rain down here in lower mainland.

I'm hoping other BARF Members are inspired by your trip! These are stunning photos with the Bike and scenery!

I can't wait to see your pics from here north of HWY 37, the Yukon, Kluane National Park, Destruction Bay... you've even got the Canadians envious!!

Last edited:
On that note, the guy I talked to yesterday suggested Haines TO Sakgway by ferry which sounds interesting. I am gonna look into that and see if my schedule can accommodate it and my tire can handle the miles

On that note, the guy I talked to yesterday suggested Haines TO Sakgway by ferry which sounds interesting. I am gonna look into that and see if my schedule can accommodate it and my tire can handle the miles
WOW!!! always wanted to do that!! the road to Skagway is unbelievable. in Skagway... watch out for the masses of cruise ship people.. sometimes 10-12000 people all get off the boat in a tiny town. The Views in Skagway... are incredible for sure!!

On the fence still, both roads look amazing, but it'll add 100 miles (negligible) and another day or so to the trip which would mean I'd need to rebook the back end. Also might be less fun if the wet weather in Alaska I'm hearing about persists, which I think it will. Two guys staying in the Jade City motel with me are making their way down and said it's been wet and cold for the past week up there. They seemed concerned for me on my non adventure bike, but as long as temps stay above 45 or so I think I can manage.

On the fence still, both roads look amazing, but it'll add 100 miles (negligible) and another day or so to the trip which would mean I'd need to rebook the back end. Also might be less fun if the wet weather in Alaska I'm hearing about persists, which I think it will. Two guys staying in the Jade City motel with me are making their way down and said it's been wet and cold for the past week up there. They seemed concerned for me on my non adventure bike, but as long as temps stay above 45 or so I think I can manage.
Can I ask your time line for getting to Alaska? That weather is definitely wet on and off. we do all just want you to be safe. Tuesday onward is drying out, but the next few days is definitely all wet in all of BC. The road to Salmon Glacier is a crooked Gravel w=road, so I'd rather you be safe if not adventure bike tires. There are lots of mountains to see on the route options you have. Highs are low 60's lows are low 40's for next week up that way.

Can I ask your time line for getting to Alaska? That weather is definitely wet on and off. we do all just want you to be safe. Tuesday onward is drying out, but the next few days is definitely all wet in all of BC. The road to Salmon Glacier is a crooked Gravel w=road, so I'd rather you be safe if not adventure bike tires. There are lots of mountains to see on the route options you have. Highs are low 60's lows are low 40's for next week up that way.
Ah yeah, I'm not venturing onto wet gravel roads with street tires so that would be out, still would be fun to ride to Haines and out from Skagway but it might be hard to book lodging this close to traveling. I get to Whitehorse tomorrow, Beaver Creek the day after and Fairbanks on Saturday the 25th that if all goes to plan. Then down to Cantwell for a two night stay, if the weather breaks I'll ride my bike up to Denali and take the bus ride, if not, I'll just stick around town and rest.

After that I loop down south to Wasalia, up to Tok and then retrace my route back down through the Yukon and BC before cutting over to Whistler and the Sunshine coast.

WOW Amazing!!! are you doing the Sunshine Coast as well in lower mainland? As in taking the ferry to Gibsons and riding it, or Whistler down to Vancovuer? If ferry.. Bikes get priority boarding usually no matter how full Ferry is ..lol. By the time you are down here it will be high 70's low 80s and dry.

Probably just taking the coast from Whistler to Vancouver, at least that is the current plan. I'll try that restaurant as well, it's a 15 minute walk from my hotel.

Now about today. I woke up feeling a little tired after the previous night, probably not helped by the fact that most of the folks staying there were on shift today and so there was lots of coming and goings starting around 4am. I knew rain was in the forecast so when I found myself lying in bed awake around 7:30 I figured I may as well get moving. But first, I planned to get breakfast here as I didn't know what the food situation on the route was gonna be like.

It hit the spot

AP1GczPqYDjSuQ_rKmv4TD7qUCSQtL3xqTFkZUa47MmFSsNNhgJzgsm5B2yaZn6nvOK8kT9xolzfiirLfw2PubDI14lUljXJUsB_h0wyS4LVcNGkx_ro4RsotHmAFzJvmfF9C_AxgZfFnXG7-8NRRgejgPaSAw=w1071-no-gm

After that, it was back to my room to pack up and get going, breakfast gave my just enough time to clear the SD card on my aging GoPro and I was glad I did as there was plenty of views to capture footage of today.

Gas was popular here with a short line when I got out. After I gassed up I pushed my bike out of the way while I finished strapping down my spare gas. A younger guy driving a big coach style bus came over to ask about my bike, he'd just gotten his license this year and got a CRF 400 rally. He said the first shock for him was how quick the tires wear out. I told him that if cars we as unreliable and had such short maintenance intervals and many motorcycles people would be up in arms. I think he wants a Ducati now after our talk.

Ready to roll.

AP1GczMSE5tAaeQ7558L-up3UuLCfpjUH0SIBarVFDogzx3ooGPKxdwXeCysGYExnE6vzaxcYJUPyqnqlvNQkFdqM83OzQhjsFLJZLr4as7ILluR1iuSKuPsP7-XKvU_btdnhDjEbJwW15_g-BgJvTo3KwZ2tw=w1071-no-gm

The weather gods blessed me with light cloud cover which burned off after an hour or so tuning into a nice sunny morning and the views were stunning.

AP1GczMX6xVRw2d0J7KpK0qtq_FoqXdkNxE0lCo9zPwrv__95QxhtPfWId2yL5y3tYFcQOIOXgzj8sm0H3LUVN3AwE5y9KPq76k2HdjxyXJXS9n9r6ZsyC4n6NS_8lHdl1OMbZlwiI7N_eyDY68bqijlZ-E95w=w1071-no-gm

I crossed so many bridges / rivers / creeks today, wish I could have stopped to stare at them all but I had places to be

AP1GczOEcSE5zL410zlEj4lPgQu32PWW2YuvMYHySwDqdmrO_2NNeS3qhT7PeyDvoQ8EZeQr8xCkrB0FxF-lMHaiOJNWLNIsVoiYVfyHdVyHeZt6O88nLBqpp0kQNSdswTm_g99xEOrmciNW40L4d9urC4_HIw=w1071-no-gm

As a rode on the mountains just kept getting more striking

AP1GczPU8wBJrKxiY1F23OOvtowNpHfVs7yR8QFfcNAcfQzvDpuwbunJ6aq2oobbDZ1cpioqA0gn3DWsCgdbVyTYjDNS8CAn-gQqBQx10GiLC_lApcXwQOF3DkvKRK0_iwryzSV5UsksByPfX74bf4YqcyDljg=w1071-no-gm

Water everywhere

AP1GczMfTc09ndGYa7T2Jm7T-SLxInwRldI14TAvIGM1SKbKJ3aB_wLzJ4t6uVM9zsREX95kbr5yaTdyID9t8RdIf_7YMcaMe6WOQRip7Z9H0UrE09IwO3B8z5yBoHiS_h3r8yCQ7j_0sE5kQUheshj2LLqqcw=w1071-no-gm

I stopped at Bell 2 Lodge for coffee and gas with a view, swanky place. There was a group of Shriners from Florida I on a charity ride. They rode up from Florida into eastern Canada and crossed the country before heading to Anchorage. They'll have done something like 11,000 miles when they are done. Made my ride seam easy in perspective.

Quite the view, photos do not do it justice

AP1GczO1G5wONxBwTwWIiN9oQI3qBIaNITHOGg_sLKcTqlbOHH9C8agSh6hbht_bOh3VuwQdsLlJCuVXB3GPgL-6ow_vpcmGzOp9necKE0JEqRfPZ_brYt5lDQy7bRPaIfLW2twwfEI3PytVk0duroi5rnu0eg=w778-no-gm

Not too far down the road I had to stop for this shot

AP1GczPm4Kp5uMQkPNmymMCgDcCyl0wzi3F7PBcKR1OUkK0HBJuXgJ07Q7gPHbPrztuBbxYlBu9kySwqsHRJXGRQuKRj0SaDTp45-55z6QiTj5AGoaxv_y7EYZcpWWISXOgycT-IKb722Co88eVWTBoz2NdK1A=w1071-no-gm

And this one

AP1GczNO9nNPl8LjC0U6N3CLFdHWWEXs5hDHkJEJDso7YuaJT1JTHePXHLa-G1qb6IdVUa7nz1nCz2hQlQAMxxrToRi47B-pTEG5Z7mwGVyKsgOBPlHNNM445Zcb9UGQsuhHhzEWlrW--sf81LsbpN2Fauo2Zw=w1071-no-gm

It wasn't obvious, but the rode was gaining elevation, I had to stop for yet another shot, there's a little glacier to peep there

AP1GczM79RbJYr7eDVMLhk7hOGNj2FTrR-TYhFKMnfFTeizsoveJOmBZ053qiBPeJ3EcYTqKjzXFEGgWiKbu0LA7ZTF47F1EWs6UdvW1uI4ingVLldULLkuahqGgtrtytwM4pzsHdxsaJvAmF4NUlErbSNGOPw=w1071-no-gm

Continuing on the road began to lose elevation following this massive ridgeline

AP1GczO3vZvrIgQ6M-Qr8_ThXc9_Mb6UwADI3pA2-QpIFSVyaWr35iHR--xnHIP3Z-UKFvYMoTgdykk3qAnsaKOdxlWJUaJTo78gdwhcCyJinlc67Mw5EXfOq5SjTh0HAbR364TOYkg8YDhmUA8FRR7VnqryQg=w1071-no-gm

It was starting to get cloudy and I knew the forecast called for rain around 2 so I decided to try to make some time. The road had gone from a wide well smooth highway to a more narrow roadway with a single yellow divider. Pavement was in good shape, the occasional pot hole or heave, but all well marked. A while later the center line disappeared and the surface turned to chip seal. It felt a lot like mines road, but with slightly better scenery....

AP1GczOrHrU5irBqQHp_xgmNowW4U21TMI0rtHu-SNPjZBzh0UHyY3s5ZHW05TAeQT0l-rf8xjRJ5nCCfByklhbuZyDMNEj2UjspbWa4Afdp3l2qwc83CTT7YfxQshPfwcrKg1rWS5DKh_9FOHFQ7dLBCQjvwA=w1071-no-gm

The skies kept getting darker and I was hoping to get to my motel room earlier today so I kept pressing on. When I got to Dease lake it had begun to sprinkle. I pulled out my phone and confirmed no signal, a guy in his car waved and me and baked up next to me. He was the owner of The Shack and told me to ride over there and I'd find the Wifi password on the window. Super nice, and it let me see I was about an hour away from my destination. Given that I gassed up, grabs snacks and ran into a guy from Vancouver who has the same bike (albeit the 950). He said I was very brave to be on that bike all the way out here. He'd planned to do the trip on his GS but changed his mind when he saw the weather and was driving in his truck instead. he advised me the road gets a little worse as I got north with bigger pot holes. I thanked him and we both took off.

As I headed down the road, the rain began in earnest. It would persist for the rest of the day, as such I didn't stop to take many pictures. I did feel the need to grab at least one though.

AP1GczPZqd4gZIxNrFN-a0i5t2ctd_QDWpXqFAhN9WdDmILOp1UmH9hiAmqYSSrA5SrwjbsRAKuZd9XEoxt1fK5UelLN4Pd8ooO03ze6-wVSs_rgGb-POFB3qQQvMjq6OaVgEK9eKu_xRFGSwtZ2DD0ZDafVsA=w1071-no-gm

I will admit my body is getting a little worn down, so but the end of each day I am pretty excited to be done. I was then, quite pleased when I rolled into Jade City around 4pm. I got checked in, took a warm shower and washed my base layers (which I hope will dry). Then I went to the store, to get some water and of course, I had to buy a piece of jade, just a rock though, the jewelry was pretty spendy. Fun fact, there was a reality show in The Weather Channel about the mine when it was running.

AP1GczNlDbL46VLJCDaXbA5t5hsEHCxWGfAwzY8Jpf0JoSQ7xCTYcanCoPhjSrpohcxwe8dBtwFrgx-_ZccXWZ5Z3n_f878Wqr0lDtzU2b_JJl8csI7vL7dNzrc1iaRkA4Mw3jxfr4db4yqsl1yMVUvd_mrDOg=w1071-no-gm

With that, I just hunkered down in my room as it's chilly and wet out, I figure I'll get some good rest and hit the road early again tomorrow. Partially to avoid the rain, and partially because it's gonna be a tight squeeze to the next gas station, even with my gallon reserve so I'll be running a bit slower to make sure I make it. Danr thirsty Italians.

Now about today. I woke up feeling a little tired after the previous night, probably not helped by the fact that most of the folks staying there were on shift today and so there was lots of coming and goings starting around 4am. I knew rain was in the forecast so when I found myself lying in bed awake around 7:30 I figured I may as well get moving. But first, I planned to get breakfast here as I didn't know what the food situation on the route was gonna be like.

It hit the spot

AP1GczPqYDjSuQ_rKmv4TD7qUCSQtL3xqTFkZUa47MmFSsNNhgJzgsm5B2yaZn6nvOK8kT9xolzfiirLfw2PubDI14lUljXJUsB_h0wyS4LVcNGkx_ro4RsotHmAFzJvmfF9C_AxgZfFnXG7-8NRRgejgPaSAw=w1071-no-gm

After that, it was back to my room to pack up and get going, breakfast gave my just enough time to clear the SD card on my aging GoPro and I was glad I did as there was plenty of views to capture footage of today.

Gas was popular here with a short line when I got out. After I gassed up I pushed my bike out of the way while I finished strapping down my spare gas. A younger guy driving a big coach style bus came over to ask about my bike, he'd just gotten his license this year and got a CRF 400 rally. He said the first shock for him was how quick the tires wear out. I told him that if cars we as unreliable and had such short maintenance intervals and many motorcycles people would be up in arms. I think he wants a Ducati now after our talk.

Ready to roll.

AP1GczMSE5tAaeQ7558L-up3UuLCfpjUH0SIBarVFDogzx3ooGPKxdwXeCysGYExnE6vzaxcYJUPyqnqlvNQkFdqM83OzQhjsFLJZLr4as7ILluR1iuSKuPsP7-XKvU_btdnhDjEbJwW15_g-BgJvTo3KwZ2tw=w1071-no-gm

The weather gods blessed me with light cloud cover which burned off after an hour or so tuning into a nice sunny morning and the views were stunning.

AP1GczMX6xVRw2d0J7KpK0qtq_FoqXdkNxE0lCo9zPwrv__95QxhtPfWId2yL5y3tYFcQOIOXgzj8sm0H3LUVN3AwE5y9KPq76k2HdjxyXJXS9n9r6ZsyC4n6NS_8lHdl1OMbZlwiI7N_eyDY68bqijlZ-E95w=w1071-no-gm

I crossed so many bridges / rivers / creeks today, wish I could have stopped to stare at them all but I had places to be

AP1GczOEcSE5zL410zlEj4lPgQu32PWW2YuvMYHySwDqdmrO_2NNeS3qhT7PeyDvoQ8EZeQr8xCkrB0FxF-lMHaiOJNWLNIsVoiYVfyHdVyHeZt6O88nLBqpp0kQNSdswTm_g99xEOrmciNW40L4d9urC4_HIw=w1071-no-gm

As a rode on the mountains just kept getting more striking

AP1GczPU8wBJrKxiY1F23OOvtowNpHfVs7yR8QFfcNAcfQzvDpuwbunJ6aq2oobbDZ1cpioqA0gn3DWsCgdbVyTYjDNS8CAn-gQqBQx10GiLC_lApcXwQOF3DkvKRK0_iwryzSV5UsksByPfX74bf4YqcyDljg=w1071-no-gm

Water everywhere

AP1GczMfTc09ndGYa7T2Jm7T-SLxInwRldI14TAvIGM1SKbKJ3aB_wLzJ4t6uVM9zsREX95kbr5yaTdyID9t8RdIf_7YMcaMe6WOQRip7Z9H0UrE09IwO3B8z5yBoHiS_h3r8yCQ7j_0sE5kQUheshj2LLqqcw=w1071-no-gm

I stopped at Bell 2 Lodge for coffee and gas with a view, swanky place. There was a group of Shriners from Florida I on a charity ride. They rode up from Florida into eastern Canada and crossed the country before heading to Anchorage. They'll have done something like 11,000 miles when they are done. Made my ride seam easy in perspective.

Quite the view, photos do not do it justice

AP1GczO1G5wONxBwTwWIiN9oQI3qBIaNITHOGg_sLKcTqlbOHH9C8agSh6hbht_bOh3VuwQdsLlJCuVXB3GPgL-6ow_vpcmGzOp9necKE0JEqRfPZ_brYt5lDQy7bRPaIfLW2twwfEI3PytVk0duroi5rnu0eg=w778-no-gm

Not too far down the road I had to stop for this shot

AP1GczPm4Kp5uMQkPNmymMCgDcCyl0wzi3F7PBcKR1OUkK0HBJuXgJ07Q7gPHbPrztuBbxYlBu9kySwqsHRJXGRQuKRj0SaDTp45-55z6QiTj5AGoaxv_y7EYZcpWWISXOgycT-IKb722Co88eVWTBoz2NdK1A=w1071-no-gm

And this one

AP1GczNO9nNPl8LjC0U6N3CLFdHWWEXs5hDHkJEJDso7YuaJT1JTHePXHLa-G1qb6IdVUa7nz1nCz2hQlQAMxxrToRi47B-pTEG5Z7mwGVyKsgOBPlHNNM445Zcb9UGQsuhHhzEWlrW--sf81LsbpN2Fauo2Zw=w1071-no-gm

It wasn't obvious, but the rode was gaining elevation, I had to stop for yet another shot, there's a little glacier to peep there

AP1GczM79RbJYr7eDVMLhk7hOGNj2FTrR-TYhFKMnfFTeizsoveJOmBZ053qiBPeJ3EcYTqKjzXFEGgWiKbu0LA7ZTF47F1EWs6UdvW1uI4ingVLldULLkuahqGgtrtytwM4pzsHdxsaJvAmF4NUlErbSNGOPw=w1071-no-gm

Continuing on the road began to lose elevation following this massive ridgeline

AP1GczO3vZvrIgQ6M-Qr8_ThXc9_Mb6UwADI3pA2-QpIFSVyaWr35iHR--xnHIP3Z-UKFvYMoTgdykk3qAnsaKOdxlWJUaJTo78gdwhcCyJinlc67Mw5EXfOq5SjTh0HAbR364TOYkg8YDhmUA8FRR7VnqryQg=w1071-no-gm

It was starting to get cloudy and I knew the forecast called for rain around 2 so I decided to try to make some time. The road had gone from a wide well smooth highway to a more narrow roadway with a single yellow divider. Pavement was in good shape, the occasional pot hole or heave, but all well marked. A while later the center line disappeared and the surface turned to chip seal. It felt a lot like mines road, but with slightly better scenery....

AP1GczOrHrU5irBqQHp_xgmNowW4U21TMI0rtHu-SNPjZBzh0UHyY3s5ZHW05TAeQT0l-rf8xjRJ5nCCfByklhbuZyDMNEj2UjspbWa4Afdp3l2qwc83CTT7YfxQshPfwcrKg1rWS5DKh_9FOHFQ7dLBCQjvwA=w1071-no-gm

The skies kept getting darker and I was hoping to get to my motel room earlier today so I kept pressing on. When I got to Dease lake it had begun to sprinkle. I pulled out my phone and confirmed no signal, a guy in his car waved and me and baked up next to me. He was the owner of The Shack and told me to ride over there and I'd find the Wifi password on the window. Super nice, and it let me see I was about an hour away from my destination. Given that I gassed up, grabs snacks and ran into a guy from Vancouver who has the same bike (albeit the 950). He said I was very brave to be on that bike all the way out here. He'd planned to do the trip on his GS but changed his mind when he saw the weather and was driving in his truck instead. he advised me the road gets a little worse as I got north with bigger pot holes. I thanked him and we both took off.

As I headed down the road, the rain began in earnest. It would persist for the rest of the day, as such I didn't stop to take many pictures. I did feel the need to grab at least one though.

AP1GczPZqd4gZIxNrFN-a0i5t2ctd_QDWpXqFAhN9WdDmILOp1UmH9hiAmqYSSrA5SrwjbsRAKuZd9XEoxt1fK5UelLN4Pd8ooO03ze6-wVSs_rgGb-POFB3qQQvMjq6OaVgEK9eKu_xRFGSwtZ2DD0ZDafVsA=w1071-no-gm

I will admit my body is getting a little worn down, so but the end of each day I am pretty excited to be done. I was then, quite pleased when I rolled into Jade City around 4pm. I got checked in, took a warm shower and washed my base layers (which I hope will dry). Then I went to the store, to get some water and of course, I had to buy a piece of jade, just a rock though, the jewelry was pretty spendy. Fun fact, there was a reality show in The Weather Channel about the mine when it was running.

AP1GczNlDbL46VLJCDaXbA5t5hsEHCxWGfAwzY8Jpf0JoSQ7xCTYcanCoPhjSrpohcxwe8dBtwFrgx-_ZccXWZ5Z3n_f878Wqr0lDtzU2b_JJl8csI7vL7dNzrc1iaRkA4Mw3jxfr4db4yqsl1yMVUvd_mrDOg=w1071-no-gm

With that, I just hunkered down in my room as it's chilly and wet out, I figure I'll get some good rest and hit the road early again tomorrow. Partially to avoid the rain, and partially because it's gonna be a tight squeeze to the next gas station, even with my gallon reserve so I'll be running a bit slower to make sure I make it. Danr thirsty Italians.
amazing pics of that area!! Fun Fact about the Jade in your bike pic... some people stole one, it made the news that value was low.. and they got it back!

He commented that Ducati certainly didn't have this in mind when they designed the bike.

He said I was very brave to be on that bike all the way out here.
I just want to point out to others who may stumble upon this thread interested in motorcycle touring.

The key component to a motorcycle tour is: a motorcycle.

With all of the specialization in our industry and YouTubers telling folks what they should and should not do, and how A is Best for X, it seems the fundamentals can be lost.

Here we have one of our own, in the wilderness of the Great White North on a motard, with a wet bag and a back pack for gear.

When folks look up "motorcycle tour" today, this is not the what comes to mind.

And that's simply where they're all mistaken. A backpack, a couple of bungee cords, and a motorcycle can take you 1000's of miles across the land. Even without the electric windscreens, nitrogen filled tires, rear brake light defrosters, and all of the other gee gaws.

Props to N. T. Great to just converting the passion to go into actually going.

And thanks for taking us along.

Back