• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Alaska - The ride report

Current status, in Fairbanks working to extend my trip by a day so I can ride to Haines and take the Ferry to Skagway. It will be slightly concerning being on a deadline to catch said ferry by 1:45 pm, but with only 150 miles to cover that day, I think it's doable. I'll likely spend the $$ to stay in Skagway overnight and then ride to Watson Lake the next day.

@TowerRigger @Blankpage any suggestions on other towns along 1 or 37 where I might look for shops if I start getting worried about the rear. 5780 miles to Vancouver is *probably* doable since I'm riding sedately, but I'd hate to get caught with no options.

A google search shows a Harley shop in Terrace and an ATV shop in Smithers but I’ve never been anywhere near those towns so don’t know what’s available or if they’d have the socket to remove the rear wheel.

Just checked a pic and mine has a six point nut so yours is likely the same. Won’t be hard to get a socket that size.

I have the proper socket, just need a shop that can get the bike off the ground and get a tire in stock. I think I'll be able to make it to Vancouver though.

I DID make it to Starbucks finally, as any respectable Ducati owner should do.

1000007198.jpg

Hey Nate, I'm gonna ask around. Do you know your route back? and how far you will make it? there are shops in Prince George, Smithers, possible Burns lake. my co-work is up in that area, near Prince George..so I can ask him.what tire size are you looking for?

When I was in Fairbanks a few years ago we went to a restaurant/bar named Boatel Bar I believe. Good food with a great view of the river. Thank you for taking us along Nate!

Hey Nate, just thowing it out there... if you want my number.. I can reach out to see what we can do for you. I know if you can make it PG and on wards we will get you sorted for sure. I have some moto buddies in the north.

if you are gonna make it all the way to Vancouver.... we can work out if you order a tire and I need to pick it up, and arrange to get you an appointment depending on Date... I have a Tire Guy that does my vehicles and friends with an Auto shop, he would do us a favour if bike shops booked up.
also, another place I've got my tires in vancouver and booked last minute appts ...

again if you want to chat me or need assistance ... let me know.

Last edited:
Much appreciated. I am certain I will make it to at least Prince George. Tire is looking pretty good and I'm at roughly the halfway point mileage-wise. I'll keep an eye on it and let you know ahead of time if things are looking iffy. I've been staying light on the throttle on the straight parts and just taking in the views, hopefully that helps me stay on track!

Much appreciated. I am certain I will make it to at least Prince George. Tire is looking pretty good and I'm at roughly the halfway point mileage-wise. I'll keep an eye on it and let you know ahead of time if things are looking iffy. I've been staying light on the throttle on the straight parts and just taking in the views, hopefully that helps me stay on track!
Excellent. Lots of shops in PG. Glad to help where I can to get you thru BC, solo reach out if you need. Weather is going to be dry and warmer after today in most of BC. Today is the torrent of rain in all of the Province.

More photos equals less tire wear? I should remember that.

Sorry if it's already been covered or considered.
Are you going through Anchorage? I think there are a few options there. 3D Powersports, 1025 Orca St n5, Anchorage, AK 99501 look like the do a variety of bikes.

Back