• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Baseball '26

Well, this is it.

Last day of the season.

15 games all start at 3pm Eastern, but only one game matters.

Diamondbacks @ Padres.

If the Diamondbacks beat the Padres, they get the bottom NL Wild Card slot by pushing out the Phillies, because the D'backs have the tiebreaker.

Astros have the tiebreaker over Texas, and they went one up on the Rangers last night when they clobbered the As, so they take the AL West.

White Sox lost their bid for AL Central by losing to the Rockies (the Rockies! Just makes it sting a bit more). Good on the Guardians, but taking the AL Central would have been a nice MLB Cinderella story this year with the Sox's dreadful recent history.

The Astros have the opportunity to beat the A's again today so that they can win the division with a flat .500 rating, otherwise they fall short. I think they will be the first Division champion to have a losing season. AL West has just crazy this year. "Go Astros! We suck less than the others!" However, Yordan Alvarez, their towering power hitter, will likely take AL MVP this year. The magic of baseball. The Angels know all about having the best players on the worst teams.

Speaking of...

Angels lost last night, 99 losses. One more chance to beat the Mariners and simply tie for the worst season in franchise history, rather than continue on their record braking ways. You can do it! (y)

Wildcard games start Tuesday!
 
I ran across a baseball movie that I had not seen. Really enjoyed it.

If you like baseball and have not seen it search YouGube for Trouble with the Curve.

Playoffs are always fun no matter who is playing.















​

 
Serious Question for the baseball fanatics, to help one understand who isn't deeply attracted to baseball..

Re: playoffs

Besides the stakes being higher for each game, what noticeable gameplay differences take place from the regular season during the playoffs/championship?

To the pitchers pitch better? Do the runners run faster? Do the hitters hit better?

I ask because I primarily watch ice hockey and lacrosse.
They both show a measurable increase in speed and intensity during playoffs.
(Maybe that just means they are slacking during the regular season, and not playing at true 100% all the time, lol?)
But it definitely serves to make the playoffs different and a more enjoyable and intense viewing experience for true fans than the regular season.

What happens in baseball?
 
Difficult to address really.

Pitchers might pitch better... if they are good with the pressure.
Fielders may take more chances defensively diving and chasing down balls.
I don't think generally they run faster, but more may run out a hit that "might" fall in.
There are other nuances, but unless you are into the game they are very subtle and hard to see.

The intensity of many do or die moments increase. <- that is it for me.
 
Yeah, my outside perspective of baseball from someone who is not really attracted to it is that it is really a waiting game of what *could* happen, a lot of not much happening, but then something happens and the right people have to react quickly and properly.

I definitely don't have the patience for that, I would fall asleep as an outfielder, or in the dugout waiting for my turn to bat
 
The intensity of many do or die moments increase. <- that is it for me.
Yeah, my outside perspective of baseball from someone who is not really attracted to it is that it is really a waiting game of what *could* happen, a lot of not much happening, but then something happens and the right people have to react quickly and properly.
Indeed.

As they say "In baseball, anything can happen, but often doesn't".

I remember watching one tense moment during some post season game.

It was a "big deal", I was standing there in front of the TV, fixated.

And it occurred to me that I was not alone.

That there were likely a lot of people, perhaps standing, across the country, but also fixated, waiting for the pitch.

And, for me, for baseball, it is all about the pitch. The batter steps in, gets ready. The pitcher sets, you can see the infield players tense up. Like cocking a gun.

It's mano a mano. And when the pitch is thrown, you can liken it to a toss of the dice at a crap table. Whatever is going to happen, is going to happen now.

I love seeing the crazy plays on the highlight reels. I like all the milestones and records and what not.

But the essence of the game, is the pitch. Baseball is the only sport I know (not counting cricket), where scoring is done when the ball is not in control. As the ball is in play, everything happens. Watching a fly ball soar, is it going to drop, is it going to be caught, will the runners tag up? Will the fielder lose concentration and the runners prosecute that.

You just don't know.

There's just a boatload of potential at every bat. Sure, mostly, nothing happens. But sometimes it does. And its a marvel to watch.

And in the post season, ideally, the players step up their game. There should be more attempts to get the ball. Who doesn't love watching the ball bounce through the infield to the outfield with the infielders just standing and staring at it. No, more likely in a post season game, someone is going to dive for that ball. The players just play harder in the post season. Their stress levels crank up. Some players demonstrably perform better in the post season than they do in the regular season.

I'm looking forward to the Yankee/Red Sox game as it doesn't get any more pure than that. Two legendary franchises with an historical rivalry against each other playing in the post season. Peak baseball, to be sure.

5pm on NBC if you want to watch! :)
 
You touched on what I was asking,
besides the increased tension and stakes,

what can/do the players actually do to step up their game to "playoff level"... Vs regular gameplay?
 
I agree with Budman and would only add that the manager may have a shorter leash on the pitching. The time to "work through" things probably decreases. 162 is a slog, I'm guessing that everyone involved gets a bit more focused and serious.
 
Another side of this, staying healthy, while the season's draining away, all those oopisies, and ouches,
tend to slow things, as brilliant play, has elevated a player to higher heights,
Flow shows up, another notch tighter.
and,
When Flow, adds fans energy to the mix. Lincecum pitching 2010, he was channeling the full power, of the roaring crowd, into each pitch. Just where/how to figure this asset?
 
what can/do the players actually do to step up their game to "playoff level"... Vs regular gameplay?
Improve their concentration, put in more actual effort.

Post season is the time of no tomorrows. There's not 80 games left, there's 0. Win or go home.

So, focus the mind and get it done.

Its "easy" to "slack" a bit during the normal season. It's a grueling grind, it's hard.

But no room for that in the post season. "You are now 13 wins away from a World Championship".

Its a human endeavor, and we know that attitude and state of mind are as important as physical fitness.
 
Improve their concentration, put in more actual effort.

Post season is the time of no tomorrows. There's not 80 games left, there's 0. Win or go home.

So, focus the mind and get it done.

Its "easy" to "slack" a bit during the normal season. It's a grueling grind, it's hard.

But no room for that in the post season. "You are now 13 wins away from a World Championship".

Its a human endeavor, and we know that attitude and state of mind are as important as physical fitness.

Sure, but none of that is visible to the viewer that makes it a different game then the regular season. That's the difference I'm trying to get to. I understand the stakes are higher that mental game is tougher yada yada yada


Does baseball look different in the playoffs than it does in the regular season to The observer, without pondering what's going on inside their head?

Seriously wondering, not ragging on baseball.

Playoff hockey is a different game. You have less space, less time, the puck and the players are moving faster, more contact and intensity. Clearly visible.
I believe playoff basketball is the same.
 
I don't think someone who doesn't watch much baseball will see much of a difference. You have nothing to use as a frame of reference. Just like me watching regular season hockey vs. playoffs. I won't see much of a difference.
 
I think playing a sport is a key to enjoying the professional level to a higher level.
Part of why I love
Motorcycle Road Racing and Offroad racing.
Football
Baseball

The only other competition sport I did was martial arts, but MMA was a different deal.
I like car racing, but that is about it.

Not really into watching other sports on a regular basis. Olympic stuff is an exception.
 
Back
Top