• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Becoming a LEO 101

:laughing nice try. Just remember that the next call you go to.... and have to sit in your truck and wait for the police officer to go in first so you guys are safe! :twofinger

Just remember when you tuck your tail and run from the next fire you see we are going in to save life and property

heck, I don't really care how long it takes you to get there, I don't think I've ever asked for a code 3 officer for a combative patient, although we might call more now to get you out of the donut shops

Sure. I donot know how many times Fire asked for code3 cover and there would be 20 firemen standing around and 1 of me to save them all. :laughing

Have you noticed this is a LEO forum and not a Firemen forum.
And this thread is "Becoming a LEO 101". If people are interested in becoming a fireman, there would be a "Becoming a fireman 101". :laughing

Sure. I donot know how many times Fire asked for code3 cover and there would be 20 firemen standing around and 1 of me to save them all. :laughing

Have you noticed this is a LEO forum and not a Firemen forum.
And this thread is "Becoming a LEO 101". If people are interested in becoming a fireman, there would be a "Becoming a fireman 101". :laughing

There would only be one post needed for a fireman thread.

http://barcalounger.com/products/Recliners.php:laughing

You guys are being to hard on firemen. I had to ride with them to get my EMT cert.

Their day goes like this:

-workout
-check reciepe.com
-go to store get food for reciepes
-go to call wait for ambulance
-make lunch
-watch movie
- go to call wait for ambulance
-make dinner
- go to call wait for ambulance(complain how much cooler fire house is)
- watch another movie
-sleep

:twofinger

here's all I know

dial 911 and a cop or fireman will come

yep it's that easy

You guys are being to hard on firemen. I had to ride with them to get my EMT cert.

Their day goes like this:

-workout
-check reciepe.com
-go to store get food for reciepes
-go to call wait for ambulance
-make lunch
-watch movie
- go to call wait for ambulance
-make dinner
- go to call wait for ambulance(complain how much cooler fire house is)
- watch another movie
-sleep

:twofinger

Thanks for the detailed report on "B" shift f*cker.:thumbup:rofl

Where I used to work in fire, we had a really good relationship w/ the SO. They were our first responders (if they had units available)- we helped them get a few Patrol Deputies trained as EMTs on grant money (they got paid to go to class) and equipped the patrol vehicles with AEDs. We never had to stage, because the SO would beat us to the scene most of the time. It's a shame that you don't see teamwork like that all the time in the Bay Area/California.

I don't know why Firefighters get so much credit. I work with City/Metro fire in rescue situations often, and they have been some of the most bumbling meat heads I've ever seen; yet the media fellates them every chance they get. I guess they have better PR people.

Honestly, the "fireman" discussion should be taken to PM's, or another thread started. This convo doesn't have anything to do with "becoming a LEO". It just shows the rest of us (that want to become LEO's or Fireman) that "OUR" emergency service agencies don't like each other, and that they both think they are both a bunch of bumbleing idiots. Is that how you want civilians to view both services? :thumbdown

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with either agency. It's just friendly rivalry. FF's are a great bunch of guys/gals, and even better cooks and movie critics. Cops are a great bunch of guys/gals and are perfect drinking buddies. See, common ground.

Honestly, the "fireman" discussion should be taken to PM's, or another thread started. This convo doesn't have anything to do with "becoming a LEO". It just shows the rest of us (that want to become LEO's or Fireman) that "OUR" emergency service agencies don't like each other, and thar they both think they are both a bunch of bumbleing idiots. Is that how you want civilians to view both services? :thumbdown

While I agree it probably is a little off topic; its just good fun and no hard feelings or insults are meant. And I take no insult from the comments made by the fire guys; I actually get a good laugh. My department has a great relationship with our fire department; I even stop in and have dinner with them once in a while (and they even keep inviting me).:thumbup

Honestly, the "fireman" discussion should be taken to PM's, or another thread started. This convo doesn't have anything to do with "becoming a LEO". It just shows the rest of us (that want to become LEO's or Fireman) that "OUR" emergency service agencies don't like each other, and that they both think they are both a bunch of bumbleing idiots. Is that how you want civilians to view both services? :thumbdown

This is all just for fun. I would back up a fire fighter in a heart beat. It's kinda like Army vs Navy football game. At the end of the day, we all stand together.:thumbup I guess it is hard for you to understand.:rolleyes

P.S. Law Enforcement is still the best job in the world.:laughing

is it possible to still become a leo if you have a criminal record? tickets on your DL? and have a low/med credit score?

Yes, within reason.

Felon no.

Misdemeanor, ie: DUI. Depending on how long ago.

Tickets: Everyone has those.

Now, whatcha got?

is it possible to still become a leo if you have a criminal record? tickets on your DL? and have a low/med credit score?

The credit score thing ain't too hot either. And if the Feds can't catch you, then you probably shouldn't even bother. :laughing jk

I ran across this today and thought it might be a good event to attend for people like me who want to get into law enforcement. I know I'll be there:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/gov/877128957.html

Job Fair-10/25/08-Public Safety Job Openings (Bay Area wide) (san mateo)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: job-877128957@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-10-13, 6:13AM PDT

Public Safety Job Fair
Free Parking and Admission

Meet growing Bay Area agencies (city, county. state, federal, and private) recruiting for hundreds of public safety positions including law enforcement (prevention, probation, investigation), fire, paramedic/emergency services, and clerical/dispatch.

Saturday, October 25, 2008
10am-2pm

San Mateo County Event Center
2495 S. Delaware Street San Mateo 94403

A list of participating includes:

• BART Police
• CHP
• CA Army National Guard
• City of Fairfield
• San Jose Police Department
• San Mateo County Sheriff's
• Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Dept.