• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Becoming a LEO 101

Wow, thank you both Bojangle and L-2 for your speedy and substantive responses.:thumbup

I've done ride alongs with Sheriff, City Police and Highway Patrol when I was in High School considering this path. I found the highway patrol to have more of an emphasis on speeding tickets and public safety. While these areas must be enforced, it's not where my interest is. When riding around with a Sgt. in Martinez we encountered some interesting situations that needed mediating (more people contact) which is something I excel in. Basically, interpersonal communication is what I love to be involved in, not CIA desk work despite the educational norm I much prefer.

Speaking of education, what in the experience of you LEO's does a BA have over an AA? Obviously one takes more time etc, but for that extra work is someone with a 4 year degree have a considerable advantage over a peer with an AA?

I am quite cognizant of my age and how it's not as ideal as say a 25-30 year old with more "life experience", however this career has always presented itself to be a fulfilling choice since I was a kid. So, I'd like to start sooner rather than later. Basically, gathering as much information and advice on my part is what I plan to do over the next two years.

Also if any of you guys could respond to these other inquiries I'd very much appreciate it as well!

Pros:

Never done drugs or smoked
Good Education
Level Headed
Diplomatic
Personable
Understanding
No Misdemeanors/Felony/DUI
No arrests in general

Cons:

3 tickets in HS, 2 speeding 1 no U-turn :shocker
Exceeded some speed limits on the highway before turning 17 and getting into tracking my car.
Definitely done my fair share of drunken college nights (not sure how this could be perceived as a con)

Would these "cons" realistically be held against me in the background check/ oral examination. I feel as though I'm a perfect candidate, but I've read so many stories of people being DQ'd for a myriad of reasons.

Again, I truly appreciate any and all responses, even constructive cristism!:laughing

A BA (or BS) is definitely better to get than an AA and would highly encourage you to get the BA. For one thing, you can get your POST intermediate certificate in 2 years with a BA vs 4 years with an AA and your POST advanced certificate in 4 years with a BA vs 6 years with an AA. Most agencies provide extra pay in their contracts for officers who have obtained those certificates, so having a higher degree gets you a little more money a few years faster. It is often 2-1/2% pay increase or stipend for the intermediate cert. and 5% for the advanced cert., but I have seen departments that pay even more.

If you ever wish to promote down the line, having a BA degree will definitely be a plus over an AA. Plus working shift work makes it difficult (but not impossible) to go to school. LEOs often work odd hours and have many other obligations, such as training, court, etc. that present challenges in working toward a degree. The more school you can accomplish before entering into law enforcement the better.

From your initial post, it looks like you are graduating with a BA in a couple years and will be 23 by then. I would say follow through with that plan and in the mean time you can research and explore various agencies to find out what you like (internet research, ride alongs, etc.). You can even look into student employment or volunteer positions with your university police department. You might get some good (free) training and experience out of it. You will also get to know the officers there and it could possibly end up even being an agency that gets your foot in the door down the road. By the time you are 23 with a BA degree, you will be at a good age to start applying for a career.

yea i basically have the same type of question i've been in the army for about 7 years now i'll get out at 8 and a half and i'm looking to become a LEO. I do have some negative marks on my record (driving and such) so what type of things would remove me from the hiring process?

I guess I'll throw in my .02

Departments are having tight budgets right now. A lot of people are out of work, so that only means one thing: more potential qualified candidates. Departments are able to pick and choose who they want now, and the smallest thing that maybe might not have DQ'ed you a couple of years back may put you out of the running.

Having military background is a huge plus. Be prepared for them to ask everything about your enlistment.

I guess I'll throw in my .02

Departments are having tight budgets right now. A lot of people are out of work, so that only means one thing: more potential qualified candidates. Departments are able to pick and choose who they want now, and the smallest thing that maybe might not have DQ'ed you a couple of years back may put you out of the running.

Having military background is a huge plus. Be prepared for them to ask everything about your enlistment.

+1 10X

I have a secret clearance, would this shorten my background check any? I would assume so but local and federal gov't sometimes don't get along all that well

Having a secret clearance didn't make any difference in my background check. It took just as long as my cohorts who didn't have clearances. This has been the case for both agencies that I have worked for.

Hi,

Thanks for the insight so far from all the numerous posts!

I was wondering if one of the mods, or other LEO's, could tell me anything about the CHP? I plan on applying and wanted to know how strict their application process is. I've been on their site and am attending a seminar tomorrow night. Afterwards, I'll probably fill out an application and start the process :teeth Hopefully, I can schedule a ride along soon.

My main concern, like some earlier posters mentioned, has been my background and recreational drug use. I used soft and hard drugs for a few years as a teenager/young adult. I stopped all of it (including alcohol) almost nine years ago. On the bright side, I'm 29 and have no criminal offenses except for a few tickets from 1999. I've had good, clean living, paid my taxes, and have been a good citizen since I put my misguided youth behind me.

How difficult will be for me to overcome this -the past drug use- in the hiring process? Is there immediate disqualification for certain types of drugs? I've read in the CHP bulletin that length and severity of use, and length since the use are all considered. But I was also interested in other agencies such as the Marin Sherrif and they listed certain drugs for immediate disqualification. Each department has it's own requirements so I guess I'd need to double check anywhere I apply for the requirements.

Any input would be appreciated!

YEY!!!!! ill be done with police academy next week!!!!!! feww finally over :)

How clean of a background?

FYI, there are many, many good departments seeking new officers and laterals right now. If you have a clean background and have not used illegal drugs in at least a few years, have decent credit and no DV history or felony priors, you have a great shot at getting a goo paying cop job right now. Most agencies have 3% at 50. This means if you start at 25 and work for 25 years, you can retire at 50 and collect a 75% pension.

There are literally thousands of new-hire opportunities in the SF Bay Area. All of the major cities, CHP and most smaller cities will be hiring equal to 10 to 20% of their current staff due to manpower shortages and retirements resulting from the 3% @ 50 program. I know Burlingame is down 12 officers, SF will be hiring 300-500 in the next 3 years, Oakland and San Jose need 50+ new cops immediately.

I honestly don't know any jurisdiction that is not hiring right now. Your best approach is to get togehter a solid resume, take the regional POST written and physical agility tests given in your area and apply to as many departments as possible. Do as many interviews as you can and get the ball rolling. Don't put it off.

Realize, the hiring process takes 2-8 months from the time you complete a successful oral interview and you will have to take a polygraph, medical and written/oral psych exam after your clear your background.

Here are some awesome resources for those that are interested. Yes, these are geared toward Las Vegas PD, but the information is pretty universal and would be invaluable to any potential police/deputy applicant anywhere. I suggest anyone serious about testing to be a cop review this material in advance, so you can prepare accordingly.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39374
This is a person's outline of the Vegas Metro hiring process; pretty standard, and a lot of people can use that as a guideline for most any good department.

Fixed! http://www.lvmpd.com/pdf/employment/POPreTestBookletrevised1-06.pdf
is a pretty comprehensive booklet by Vegas Metro, again, which covers a lot in the process, too. Is pretty specific and even gives you a good idea about what to expect on the oral.

If anyone has information on where to get details/dates and requirements for the regional qualification exams, please post it here.

In my earlier years I was busted for over an ounce of pot ,(more than once) it was when I was 20 now I'm 40 but look 30 ,figured there'd be now way I could become a cop . Tested for Oakland fire about 13 years ago and passed everything first time out ,but wasn't hired as for they were only hiring 100 at that time .I would love to be a cop ,but always figured I ruined my chances in my young and dumb days?

In my earlier years I was busted for over an ounce of pot ,(more than once) it was when I was 20 now I'm 40 but look 30 ,figured there'd be now way I could become a cop . Tested for Oakland fire about 13 years ago and passed everything first time out ,but wasn't hired as for they were only hiring 100 at that time .I would love to be a cop ,but always figured I ruined my chances in my young and dumb days?

Were you convicted of a felony(s)? If the answer is yes, then NO you can't be a cop. If the answer is no and you were only convicted of misdemeanors, then that would not automatically exclude you and you might want to look further.

Question for the LEOs. I'm planning on applying to CHP early next year and I was wondering other that having a criminal background, DIU's, convicted felonies, etc, what would be other deal breakers to apply to the CHP? I have a clean record, but currently going through a tough divorce that might make me have a short sale or maybe even foreclose my house affecting dramatically my credit. Do they see as a negative that I went through a divorce and my credit was affected?
Thanks in advance.

That stuff is going to be a case by case basis and some departments might look at it differently that others. While it certainly isn't ideal, it is not something that will automatically exclude you. You should talk to a CHP background investigator.

no felonies ,just misdemeanors

thanks for the reply , is there an age limit even though they might not say there is I'm 40 and really think they would prefer younger people ? thanks again for replying , my pops was a San Mateo FF for 30 years ,but I only tested that one time in Oakland , just did it to prove to myself that I could do it , but figured my background check would've killed it for me anyway. Thanks again.:thumbup
Were you convicted of a felony(s)? If the answer is yes, then NO you can't be a cop. If the answer is no and you were only convicted of misdemeanors, then that would not automatically exclude you and you might want to look further.

Would a misdiminar theft charge show up if i was only 15 and they said it would erase when i turn 18. Will they take account for this I was a minor?

I don't know. Maybe and maybe not. Regardless of whether or not it is on you record (and I'm sure there is some record somewhere with a local jurisdiction or probation department) the most important thing is to be honest about everything in a background investigation. Dishonesty will get you removed from the hiring process where a petty theft at 15 years old usually won't.

thanks for the reply , is there an age limit even though they might not say there is I'm 40 and really think they would prefer younger people ? thanks again for replying , my pops was a San Mateo FF for 30 years ,but I only tested that one time in Oakland , just did it to prove to myself that I could do it , but figured my background check would've killed it for me anyway. Thanks again.:thumbup

I have seen max age limits listed for a few agencies before. CHP might be 35, but I'm not positive about that. I think the legality is questionable. Many agencies will hire officers without consideration to maximum age, as long as they are able to perform mimimum qualifications of course. Check with the agencies you are interested in (or who are hiring now). I don't know when the quote from MM4L was written in your quote, but agencies are not hiring now like they were when he wrote that. There a few openings now and stiff competition thanks to the economy.

Would a misdiminar theft charge show up if i was only 15 and they said it would erase when i turn 18. Will they take account for this I was a minor?

It will show up on a background even though it was "Sealed" as a juvenile record. A minor theft charge as a juvenile should not be a problem at all, unless you have more recent ones or a lot of them.

Now about not being able to spell misdemeanor or use spell check.:twofinger

Anyone who is in the process have any luck? Turned my PHS in back in June of 09. New year, New hope for a phone call!

Back