belt buckle knife

gnstalodz

Moto(s)
FXDX
Name
CJET
[youtube]3gSa2MONXKg[/youtube]

Would I get harassed? yea probably, strict ca laws.

But is it illegal? They claim

"In the California Penal code, PC 12020 mentions a belt buckle knife. It is our opinion that this law was written concerning the spade like weapon which is made as an integral part of a belt buckle. We believe that is why the word integral is used to describe it, when you pulled the knife out, your belt fell off. Ours is a completely different design, which is really a belt buckle which is a holder for a knife.

The beginning of the code states that "all belt buckle knives are illegal". This is the part of the code that most police officers will remember. The code goes on later to define a belt buckle knife as having a blade length of over 2 1/2 inches and also being an integral part of the buckle. Our belt buckle knife is neither of these. This is the part of the code that you should know and carry and also know the meaning of the word integral. Not all officers are familiar with the latter part of the code.You can find the code at http://www.leginfo.ca.gov"

Want to know what a LEO thinks, and while you might not like it, would I be in the clear?

Thanks guys

First problem: all of those sections have moved.

How long is the blade? If it's over the max length I think you'll get "harassed" to jail. "Integral" doesn't necessarily mean it is part of the buckle's operation. In this case, it's held securely by magnets or some other mechanism. Without reading some legislative intent documents or the Legal Sourcebook (don't have access at home), I'd say that qualifies.

Here's the new sections:

16260. As used in this part, “belt buckle knife” is a knife that is made an integral part of a belt buckle and consists of a blade with a length of at least two and one-half inches.

20410. Except as provided in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, any person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, or possesses any belt buckle knife is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170.

Last edited:
I wouldn't bank my freedom on an interpretation of the Penal Code from the company/person selling you the product. Call me a skeptic....

Secondly, if the blade is over 2.5" I'd make the arrest. I don't care how they define "integral."

In other words: what the jury decides, who knows. But you'll take the ride anyway.

I was out with an officer who arrested someone for that same belt buckle knife.

That guy should design a head band knife instead.. no laws to interpret.

damn CA law says u cant carry more than a 2.5in blade??!?!?!?

damn i've been a felon like most of my life :rofl

:rolleyes

damn CA law says u cant carry more than a 2.5in blade??!?!?!?

damn i've been a felon like most of my life :rofl

:rolleyes

No, only in certain circumstances like belt buckle knives and switchblades. Regular knives don't have length limits.

Unless they're concealed.

And just for clarification, a folding pocket knife is ok to be concealed. A dirk or dagger (fixed blade or folding knife with blade locked out) cannot be concealed.

Also, there is no length limit for dirk/dagger violations.

:nerd

And just for clarification, a folding pocket knife is ok to be concealed. A dirk or dagger (fixed blade or folding knife with blade locked out) cannot be concealed.

Also, there is no length limit for dirk/dagger violations.

:nerd
good to know I can get the dagger I was looking at now. Thought it was a 2.5" limit with those also.

Folding knives of almost any length are legal. Concealed. Thank goodness for a small gift of reason in the CA law books. :)

Folding knives of almost any length are legal. Concealed. Thank goodness for a small gift of reason in the CA law books. :)

just a over sight. just wait...

sad that any good tool for protection is a crime to even own. yet any crook it is ok for them to have on there person.

as by definition they do not OBEY the law. :wow

such laws only hurt the law abiding.

I like to take my leatherman with me, but, I do have a few folding knifes I've used here and there (not for protection, cutting rope, boxes, ect). If I'm pulled over or even walking, would it be unlawful in CA to have either a leatherman or the following knife in my pocket or on my waste? Note that I would almost certainly unintentionally cover the knife if it was on my waste with my shirt.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/38592?productId=603113&subrnd=0&qs=3016887_pmd_google_pla

Just curious.

I have been pulled over a dozen times on the bike with a 6" blade on my waist, a boot knife on my forks, and pepper spray in my vest pocket.

I tell the leo about all of them before anything else and keep my hands on the bars.

But we can all agree ca gun/knife laws are stupid.

Lemme quote from that writeup:

"designer, collector's knife built for all-purpose utility, ideal for camping and outdoors use" :rofl

And it's a dessert topping AND floor polish! The banana-whip flavor is my favorite... :teeth

Back