• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Bought my 2nd Street Bike...

Paranoid_Times

Moto(s)
1991 Honda Nighthawk 250

1981 KZ750 LTD
I now own a 1981 KZ750 LTD

I'm enamored. I've got the UJM of my dreams.

New-KZedit.jpg

Previous owner happened to work at Contra Costa Powersports. He sold because he's getting married and weddings are expensive. He states it's never given him a problem and he gave it a new chain and sprockets, fresh oil, brakes flush and rebuild, tires, and clutch cable. It felt good on the ride home. 16,000 some miles.

So what am I in for? Have I made a grave financial mistake? :laughing

I now own a 1981 KZ750 LTD

I'm enamored. I've got the UJM of my dreams.

New-KZedit.jpg

Previous owner happened to work at Contra Costa Powersports. He sold because he's getting married and weddings are expensive. He states it's never given him a problem and he gave it a new chain and sprockets, fresh oil, brakes flush and rebuild, tires, and clutch cable. It felt good on the ride home. 16,000 some miles.

So what am I in for? Have I made a grave financial mistake? :laughing

Looks nice; going to cafe it?

Just don't let the bike sit without guel stabilizer in it or the carbs will gum up with is a royal PITA.

Enjoy.

Just don't let the bike sit without guel stabilizer in it or the carbs will gum up with is a royal PITA.

Enjoy.

I like how it looks now, I have no intent to take an angle grinder to any part of it ;)

I want better mirrors and I might remove the crash bars and build a cargo rack.

16,000 miles is a long ride home. :p

Congrats on the new steed! :Port :ride

Enjoy.

+ turn the gas off, and run the carb bowls dry if you're going to park it for more than a day or two

+ turn the gas off, and run the carb bowls dry if you're going to park it for more than a day or two

I appreciate the advice!

Its petcock is vacuum driven and I don't think it has an "off" setting. Is there a different way I can run the carbs dry or would I drain them manually?

Thanks!

Disconnect the vacuum line to the petcock, and block it off. If the diaphragm is intact, no gas will go thought. An easy check on the diaphragm is to look at the plug in cyl numbere two (the one used for vacuum to the petcock). If it's black fuel fouled, bad diaphragm.

I had one of those motors in a KZ650 chassis. Great motor, and tough as hell. Also, I leave my carbs full up to two or three weeks without problems.

Last edited:
fine looking bike, those motors are pretty bulletproof. I would keep the crash bars, those case covers and their contents (stator, etc.) are very likely a bit hard to find now.

good score ! as SFMCJohn would say " God Bless Kawasaki ! "

Simple awesome basic bike - I love it.

Carbs on these are very reliable, no need to run them dry. Just keep using the bike, at least every other week or so. Kawi used these carbs (and engine) all the way till the ~2004 ZR7 & ZR7S.

Back