• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Cars that make your jaw drop.

You need a hip bag to hold your detail spray and microfiber towel.

That’s for the Class C uniform. The “tactical” one. Also included are cargo shorts.

The Class A’s swap out the jorts for chino style shorts and a Tommy Bahama button down shirt. Which I do have. Optional allowance of switching out the NBs for those Sketcher shoes I see Tony Romo keep peddling.

And speaking of Turbo Porsches, I guess I don't know the market, but I'm surprised this only sold for $125,000.
I did the GT3 Cup suspension and brakes, and a lot of other work on it in 2015. My boss told me it was coming in on Monday morning, and that we had to have it at VIR Thursday morning for the Ultimate Track Car Challenge.
That was the first car that I spun wheels on my dyno.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-porsche-911-gt2-30/

If you thought that Jeep GC was a monster back then, the last Trackhawk model with the 700hp Hellcat engine would blow your mind. I’ve driven a “built” one with over 1000hp and it’s just silly. You can actually feel the body twist a bit when you floor it because of so much torque it’s trying to harness.

The Viper sound was always a bummer. Shows that the engine was really developed for trucks. Too bad, because a V10 can be made to be one of the greatest sounding engines in all of the world. Lexus LFA, Porsche Carerra GT, and Lamborghini Huracan/Gallardo/Audi R8 are just glorious. Everytime I hear/drive one I tell myself I don’t care how fast they make EVs, they’re never going to be as fun to drive as a proper ICE powered car.

I know the newer GCs are stouter, but they're also bigger and a bunch heavier. Plus, I just like NA. I think the WK generation was the sweet spot, though the M-B 5-speed A/T isn't nearly as nice as the 8-speed in the later models.

EVs, at least some of them, are amazing. They're also totally boring. ICEs and manual transmissions FTW!

And speaking of Turbo Porsches, I guess I don't know the market, but I'm surprised this only sold for $125,000.
I did the GT3 Cup suspension and brakes, and a lot of other work on it in 2015. My boss told me it was coming in on Monday morning, and that we had to have it at VIR Thursday morning for the Ultimate Track Car Challenge.
That was the first car that I spun wheels on my dyno.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-porsche-911-gt2-30/

The 996 is the least loved 911 generation, and also it makes sense that right now people are wary of overspending on highly speculative investment purchases, which cars like these sort of fall into.

If it was worth more, it would have sold for more. The collector car market wasn’t impacted over the last couple years. Businesses that restore, repair, and maintain these types of cars have been busier than ever.

Thought this would be more fitting in this thread that the latest purchase one.

My latest shoe purchase. All I need is a belt clip for a flip phone and a pair of jean shorts. Then my Corvette owner uniform will be complete.

That’s for the Class C uniform. The “tactical” one. Also included are cargo shorts.

The Class A’s swap out the jorts for chino style shorts and a Tommy Bahama button down shirt. Which I do have. Optional allowance of switching out the NBs for those Sketcher shoes I see Tony Romo keep peddling.

Costco's calling your name.

Funnily enough, the older I get the more I realize why my uncles were always so enthusiastic about Costco over Safeway or other grocery stores. I can go get groceries and pick up some Adidas, Lucky, Under Armor, etc for like an extra $15 on the way out vs the $100+ I'd spend at the respective brand stores at the mall.

If it was worth more, it would have sold for more. The collector car market wasn’t impacted over the last couple years. Businesses that restore, repair, and maintain these types of cars have been busier than ever.

It really doesn't bother me. It was just a surprise.
Then again, if you're spending just a little more, a used GT4 car can go as fast on track and is easier to drive.

It really doesn't bother me. It was just a surprise.
Then again, if you're spending just a little more, a used GT4 car can go as fast on track and is easier to drive.

I was thinking about a Cayman GT4 almost a year ago. Floated the idea past SWMBO, and got the OK. Before I dove in, I decided to check the cost of insurance. :wow :wow :wow

That car cost a little over double my insurance. I don't mean 2x my current sports / track car...I mean 2x my entire policy that included 4 cars, and 3 motorcycles.

I decided that I didn't want one that badly.

I was thinking about a Cayman GT4 almost a year ago. Floated the idea past SWMBO, and got the OK. Before I dove in, I decided to check the cost of insurance. :wow :wow :wow

That car cost a little over double my insurance. I don't mean 2x my current sports / track car...I mean 2x my entire policy that included 4 cars, and 3 motorcycles.

I decided that I didn't want one that badly.

Unfortunately this thing is sold the hell out for a few years, but if somehow you have a chance to have a go with the new Lotus Emira…it’s better than a GT4. So much better. And amazingly enough, cheaper too.

A 718 Spyder would be nice I think....but yeah, not keen on that insurance. Current car is already double what my old vehicle cost (both price and insurance) and I'm sure a 718 would double that again.

Obligatory pic, but really…other than the wheelie here, it’s looks like every other Challenger for the most part. But anyways. The horsepower wars of the modern muscle car are coming to an end. Daimler-Chrysler no wait FCA no wait again, ahem…Stellantis is swinging their killing blow with the announcement of the Dodge Demon 170. The 170 cleverly meaning the “proof” of alcohol it can run on. So when you run it on the corn juice, you’re good for 1025 horsepower. 900 on premium unleaded otherwise. 0-60 in 1.66 seconds. 1/4 mile in 8.9 seconds. All this from a car that is street legal, but is so fast it’s actually banned as is it NHRA sanctioned events since it doesn’t have enough safety equipment. Just like the Tesla Plaid, it’s pretty much a one trick pony and it won’t be able to stop or turn nearly as well as it can accelerate. But if all you want is face melting acceleration, if you can get one for sticker it’s a bargain for starting at $96k.

Glorious. It truly is.

2023-dodge-challenger-srt-demon-1701-6414d438e4a8a.jpg

Obligatory pic, but really…other than the wheelie here, it’s looks like every other Challenger for the most part. But anyways. The horsepower wars of the modern muscle car are coming to an end. Daimler-Chrysler no wait FCA no wait again, ahem…Stellantis is swinging their killing blow with the announcement of the Dodge Demon 170. The 170 cleverly meaning the “proof” of alcohol it can run on. So when you run it on the corn juice, you’re good for 1025 horsepower. 900 on premium unleaded otherwise. 0-60 in 1.66 seconds. 1/4 mile in 8.9 seconds. All this from a car that is street legal, but is so fast it’s actually banned as is it NHRA sanctioned events since it doesn’t have enough safety equipment. Just like the Tesla Plaid, it’s pretty much a one trick pony and it won’t be able to stop or turn nearly as well as it can accelerate. But if all you want is face melting acceleration, if you can get one for sticker it’s a bargain for starting at $96k.

Glorious. It truly is.

2023-dodge-challenger-srt-demon-1701-6414d438e4a8a.jpg

It's deeply stupid and juvenile, and still running on a platform that is like 15 years old at this point, and I really like it.

That being said, Lotus's first effort for an EV (albeit in a supercar) makes like 2000 horsepower. I'm pretty sure that Dodge can/will start to go pretty bonkers with their power numbers when they get into the EV game.

It's deeply stupid and juvenile, and still running on a platform that is like 15 years old at this point, and I really like it.

Right!?

Ready for the ironic part? The most “‘murica!” car ever made has Mercedes underpinnings and is sold by a French/Italian conglomerate headquartered in the Netherlands.

rob does that thing still share the undercarriage all the way back to this thing?

2005-2008-Dodge-Magnum-1.jpg

More or less. I believe Challenger is a derivative of the Chrysler LX platform. Which was the Charger, Magnum, and 300 initially. LX has components from W211 and W220 from there at the time parent, Daimler-Benz.

So yes, the 2023 Challenger and Charger are based on what is probably the oldest architecture in the automotive business.

Glorious. It truly is.

One of my favorite lines that thing's made for: "Go get your bike (car) and let's sort this all out". That thing will sort lots of mouthy people out.

LX has components from W211 and W220 from there at the time parent, Daimler-Benz.

So my W211 Wagon has more in common with the Challenger than my B-body....

Right!?

Ready for the ironic part? The most “‘murica!” car ever made has Mercedes underpinnings and is sold by a French/Italian conglomerate headquartered in the Netherlands.

True, but you are thinking of the wrong Dodge.

2023-dodge-durango-srt-hellcat-front-view.webp

All of the juvenile-ness, and stupidity, but in a massive, bloated looking SUV body, which IMO is even more American than a pony car, and the most American thing about it: It's currently the subject of a dubious class action lawsuit due to a sussy but probably technically OK advertising campaign.

Back