• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Question about bike rentals

For Northstar, should I ride the Nomad (6 in. travel) or rent a down-hill bike (8in travel or so)??? :wtf

And, has anyone got any good leads on bike rentals??

Re: Question about bike rentals

Harpo said:
For Northstar, should I ride the Nomad (6 in. travel) or rent a down-hill bike (8in travel or so)??? :wtf

And, has anyone got any good leads on bike rentals??

Cyclepaths in Truckee

http://www.cyclepaths.com/demo/

I'm not sure if the valving on my Enduro is gonna work well over the burliest stuff I plan on doing at Northstar. It has a lot of travel, but it also has a lot of compression damping - I've got to run the air preload low and sag numbers high to get it close to where I want it.

When I went to Downieville I rent a Specialized SX 8 inches of travel or something and was glad I did.

It makes the day a lot easier .

Just my 2 bits

EC70 said:
When I went to Downieville I rent a Specialized SX 8 inches of travel or something and was glad I did.

It makes the day a lot easier .

Just my 2 bits
Where did you rent it??

Harpo said:
Where did you rent it??

Downieville Outfitters rents Specialized and some Ellsworth bikes. Yuba Expeditions rents mostly Santa Cruz bikes. You can see exactly which models on their website(s). You mostly see Nomads and Enduros as rentals on the trail.

But you were asking about N*, right? Their website lists Giant Reign's(6") and Faith's(8"). The Reign will be like your Nomad and the Faith is more like a VP Free. You can rent these right at N* where you get the lift tickets.

If I were you, I'd ride the Nomad at least once. It will be more than enough for all of the single black runs and some of the double blacks, as long as you're up for them. But if you end up going alot, you might not care for abusing your own bike, so you can choose to rent later. But one trip won't hurt the Nomad.

As CityBikeMike mentioned, Cyclepaths, in Truckee, rents some Santa Cruz and Rocky Mountain bikes, if you want something more exotic for N*. Hope this helps. :cool

dking said:
But you were asking about N*, right? Their website lists Giant Reign's(6") and Faith's(8"). The Reign will be like your Nomad and the Faith is more like a VP Free. You can rent these right at N* where you get the lift tickets.

If I were you, I'd ride the Nomad at least once. It will be more than enough for all of the single black runs and some of the double blacks, as long as you're up for them. But if you end up going alot, you might not care for abusing your own bike, so you can choose to rent later. But one trip won't hurt the Nomad.

As CityBikeMike mentioned, Cyclepaths, in Truckee, rents some Santa Cruz and Rocky Mountain bikes, if you want something more exotic for N*. Hope this helps. :cool
Thanx for the input dude. Why don't you and EC 70 join us. It will be a blast.

We are now 4:
Myself
Crash (CitybikeMike)
Dave (my other Pillapino Bud)
BikeMech1 (Gregory)

Harpo said:
Thanx for the input dude. Why don't you and EC 70 join us. It will be a blast.

We are now 4:
Myself
Crash (CitybikeMike)
Dave (my other Pillapino Bud)
BikeMech1 (Gregory)

Maybe... maybe. I have another group of friends also talking about going to N* on the 28th and then D'ville on the 29th... could be a fun, but long weekend. I'm tentative right now. I just got back from N* and I'm still recovering. Good weekend of riding, but I'm pretty beat right now. I'll update as it gets closer. L8r. :cool

I made a late run up to N* myself, it was busy on Sat and the hill was great.
We'll have to hook up next time guys for sure .
Like Dking said beat up right now but will be heading back soon.
Livewire was great rode most of the hill except Pho Dog ?
That trail was no joke.
After being ejected from the bike a couple times it was time to walk it.
Sticks and Stones was awsome also, the dirt was like baby powder on some trails and still blowing dirt out from my nose. Yuk

Last edited:
EC70 said:
I made a late run up to N* myself, it was busy on Sat and the hill was great.
We'll have to hook up next time guys for sure .
Like Dking said beat up right now but will be heading back soon.
Livewire was great rode most of the hill except Pho Dog ?
That trail was no joke.
After being ejected from the bike a couple times it was time to walk it.
Sticks and Stones was awsome also, the dirt was like baby powder on some trails and still blowing dirt out from my nose. Yuk

I didn't think Sat was busy at all. I'd say that was pretty average day. Try going on a race weekend.

Pho Dog isn't bad. You might be thinking of Dog Bone. I've walked some of that trail as well. We didn't hit it Saturday, but I'm sure it'll be there waiting for me next time. :wow

It was definitely dusty though. I thought it might not be that bad because it rained up there during the week, but you couldn't even tell. I figure it's going to be that bad or worse for the whole summer. Still, some of the best riding around and little to no pedaling. :teeth

When you go back, be sure to hit the SDA at the far end of Flameout. I missed it and just saw some pics... logs and rocks... lots of cool stuff. I'm ready to go back now. So when is "next" time? :cool

Hey, anyone out there ride a Blur LT with a Fox RP23 shock? Just wondering how it is. I might have an opportunity to grab one at a decent price.

giusepi said:
Hey fellas,
Anyone have any comments on this bike as a good starting point for me? I'm looking for something that can do a little of everything, so that I can figure out what type of mountain biking I will like best.

Which bike?

The Enduro is a bit burly to be a starter bike. It's more of a freeride / all mountain / light downhill bike.

How tall are you?

Harpo said:
Hey, anyone out there ride a Blur LT with a Fox RP23 shock? Just wondering how it is. I might have an opportunity to grab one at a decent price.

Yep... Me! Well, mine has a RP3 on it, but...

It's my "little" bike that I ride most of the time when I have to pedal up. It's a great bike and seems to handle everything I throw at it. I'm a big, ham-fisted guy, so that's saying alot. A Fox TALAS up front completes the package nicely. It should ride similarly to your Nomad, if you can imagine it having a bit less travel. Hope this helps. :cool

P.S. I'm still a maybe for the 28th... I may be heading out of town. I was hoping to convince someone to go this weekend. But, I just found out about Trailhead's dirt demo, so I may just hit that.

giusepi said:
Hey fellas,
Anyone have any comments on this bike as a good starting point for me? I'm looking for something that can do a little of everything, so that I can figure out what type of mountain biking I will like best.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/373468113.html

Depends on what type of riding you're going to be doing. The Enduro is a pretty nice bike if you're going to be doing some aggressive trail riding and small stunts. If that's your plan, then go for it.

If you're just going to be putting around, it's probably more than you'll ever need and you'll pay for that on the climbs with the added weight.

I usually recommend a hardtail or short travel full suspension (less than 4" rear travel) for someone just starting out. Used is definitely the way to go if you're not sure if it's your thing or not. There's lots of stuff out there like that for less. :2cents

BTW, I just found out that Trailhead Cycles is having another dirt demo this weekend at Soquel Demonstration forest. It a unique opportunity to ride a bike you might buy in real trail conditions for no cost, other than your time. They usually have 30 or so bikes from Specialized, Intense and Ibis. For more info CLICK HERE then click on the "more" link under "Demo at Demo" on the upper left. :cool

Last edited:
sweet thanks for the info. Now I have a question about suspension. Are the forks and shocks that come on a "mid-level" bike like the one i posted about earlier able to be adjusted for sag? Im a heavy guy and don't want to be bottoming out all the time.

Back