• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Most bikes can be adjusted by adding air pressure to the front forks and rear shock. Do you know what size bike you're looking for yet?

giusepi said:
sweet thanks for the info. Now I have a question about suspension. Are the forks and shocks that come on a "mid-level" bike like the one i posted about earlier able to be adjusted for sag? Im a heavy guy and don't want to be bottoming out all the time.

And the answer is..... it depends on the actual components. I will say that "most" suspension components come with some way to adjust the preload and thus set the sag. Unfortunately, sometimes this requires opening it up to install/remove spacers.

Air sprung forks/shocks are easier since you just have to add air, but you do have to worry about the seals. Coil sprung shocks usually have a threaded collar to adjust preload. Also with coil sprung forks/shocks, you may need to change the actual spring to get it right. Hope this helps. :cool

Dking has it right go and try out some bikes at the demo

I've been looking for a freeride bike and just rent them at certain places and see what fits

It's the way to go :teeth

giusepi said:
Hey fellas,
Anyone have any comments on this bike as a good starting point for me? I'm looking for something that can do a little of everything, so that I can figure out what type of mountain biking I will like best.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/373468113.html
I might just have, for Sale exactly what you are looking for. It's a 2005 Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper FSR. Size Medium.

In '05 it was the sweetest, full suspension xc bike that Specialized made. It can handle everything for xc racing to aggressive xc riding and all mountain. (depending on how you equip and set up the rest of the bike)

I was only planning on selling the frame but I have almost enough parts to assemble you a very nice, complete bike. Let me know if you are interested.

dking said:
Yep... Me! Well, mine has a RP3 on it, but...

It's my "little" bike that I ride most of the time when I have to pedal up. It's a great bike and seems to handle everything I throw at it. I'm a big, ham-fisted guy, so that's saying alot. A Fox TALAS up front completes the package nicely. It should ride similarly to your Nomad, if you can imagine it having a bit less travel. Hope this helps. :cool

P.S. I'm still a maybe for the 28th... I may be heading out of town. I was hoping to convince someone to go this weekend. But, I just found out about Trailhead's dirt demo, so I may just hit that.
OK, so the one (the '07 Blur LT) I'm looking at has an '07 Fox Float RLC 140.
1st) I've never ridden a Float. I've always had Talas. any opinion? 2nd) I'm sure the 140mm is gonna be great on terrain and DH stuff but am I going to be bumming on the climbs on this bike not being able to lower the height for the accent????

Last edited:
Harpo said:
I might just have, for Sale exactly what you are looking for. It's a 2005 Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper FSR. Size Medium.

In '05 it was the sweetest, full suspension xc bike that Specialized made. It can handle everything for xc racing to aggressive xc riding and all mountain. (depending on how you equip and set up the rest of the bike)

I was only planning on selling the frame but I have almost enough parts to assemble you a very nice, complete bike. Let me know if you are interested.

My buddie has one of those FSR's and he swears by it.

Harpo said:
OK, so the one (the '07 Blur LT) I'm looking at has an '07 Fox Float RLC 140.
1st) I've never ridden a Float. I've always had Talas. any opinion? 2nd) I'm sure the 140mm is gonna be great on terrain and DH stuff but am I going to be bumming on the climbs on this bike not being able to lower the height for the accent????

Well, I originally had an older TALAS and typically left it at 130mm travel because I hated twisting the knob. It seemed fine. Then I switched to a Float XTT with 140mm travel and it was great going downhill, but I didn't like the geometry when climbing. I didn't think I'd notice that much, but I did.

I now have a 07 TALAS X, that was a take-off and has 90-110-130mm adjustments (I know, weird). I would have preferred the 100-120-140mm travel, but I got a deal. The travel adjustment on the 07's is easier so I normally climb in the 90mm setting and descend in the 130mm setting. I don't notice as much when I forget to change the setting on a climb, so 130mm must not be as bad as 140mm. Again, I wouldn't normally think I'd notice, but for some reason I did.

Anyway, that's my two cents... maybe more. YMMV. Hope this helps.

dking said:
Well, I originally had an older TALAS and typically left it at 130mm travel because I hated twisting the knob. It seemed fine. Then I switched to a Float XTT with 140mm travel and it was great going downhill, but I didn't like the geometry when climbing. I didn't think I'd notice that much, but I did.

I now have a 07 TALAS X, that was a take-off and has 90-110-130mm adjustments (I know, weird). I would have preferred the 100-120-140mm travel, but I got a deal. The travel adjustment on the 07's is easier so I normally climb in the 90mm setting and descend in the 130mm setting. I don't notice as much when I forget to change the setting on a climb, so 130mm must not be as bad as 140mm. Again, I wouldn't normally think I'd notice, but for some reason I did.

Anyway, that's my two cents... maybe more. YMMV. Hope this helps.
Thanx, I think I'd notice 140 on the steep climbs as well. What were the differences between the Talas and the Float?

Thanks for the help fellas,
Harpo you have PM.
Hopefully ill be able to join you guys on some rides this summer.

Harpo said:
Thanx, I think I'd notice 140 on the steep climbs as well. What were the differences between the Talas and the Float?

I can't say I noticed any difference in performance between the TALAS and the Float forks. The big difference to me is being able to adjust the travel on climbs vs. DHs and that's worth the extra half pound and extra $$$ to me.

EC70 said:
Like Harpo said End of July at N*
Are you gonna join us on the 28th? Would be very kule to actually meet some of you guys.

dking said:
I can't say I noticed any difference in performance between the TALAS and the Float forks. The big difference to me is being able to adjust the travel on climbs vs. DHs and that's worth the extra half pound and extra $$$ to me.
I think I'm gonna have to agree. I really like being able to adjust travel. Seems to make a noticeable difference both on the Nomad and the S-Works.

Re: I did it

CityBikeMike said:
The ultimate all-mountain trail weapon is mine.

This is going to be a good summer.

:)

3157949-enduro.jpg

Looks like I've been away for far toooooo long. What size is that SL, Mike? Nice Nomad too, Harpo! I won't be able to make the 28th but I'd like to ride Northstar again before the season's over. Let me get my lungs, legs, and balls back in shape and maybe I'll join y'all for a ride later this summer.

Last edited:
Re: Re: I did it

fLyRiCE said:
Looks like I've been away for far toooooo long. What size is that SL, Mike? Let me get my lungs, legs, and balls back in shape and maybe I'll join a ride later this summer.

Hey Ted,

It's a Medium - the Small was far too cramped for me to ride. I'm thinking a Medium with a short stem or a Small with a long stem is the way to go.

I'm grabbing a short stem this weekend, and will probably grab a Maverick Speedball if I start to really gel with the bike. As it stands, I don't think I'm any faster than i was on my Jekyll.

Downieville kicked my ass last weekend, so I'm looking for a little redemption :)

Re: Re: I did it

fLyRiCE said:
Looks like I've been away for far toooooo long. What size is that SL, Mike? Nice Nomad too, Harpo!
The Nomad is the Shiz Nit. I can't believe how much easier it is to ride (in any type of terrain) than any other bike I've ever owned.

Get in shape dude. Hope to see you out there soon.

FOR SALE
2005 Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper FSR 120 size Medium $800 (NOT a complete bike)

Up for sale will be the frame, the Cane Creek Head-set, XTR front derailleur, chain-stay guard, seat-post and QR collar. I'm also sure I could come up with a few other goodies to throw in there. :teeth

Sorry, no pix yet as the bike is still assembled and dirty. I assure you, everything is in really nice shape. As a matter of fact. If someone is interested, they can come and ride it before I pull off all the parts. (Yes, the parts that will be used on my new frame when it arrives)

Check out the Awesome/Perfect Review

Thanx,
Joe

PS. giusepi has expressed some interest in it so I will have to give him first dibs when he gets back from Moto GP.

Last edited:
Re: Santa Cruz

TeamZigen said:
Nice wheels!!! Santa Cruz Bikes RULE!!!... I got a Superlight. I love it too!!
Yes they do!! :thumbup The geometry is the most balanced I've ever felt. Not quite as efficient as my S-Works (For Sale - See Above Post) but the balance is amazing.

Back