• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Northstar this weekend...

Harpo said:
Than Northstar it is! :thumbup

Ah, Harpo gets to try out his new goodies...

I'm sure I'll see you guys up there on Saturday. I'll be there (for like the fifth weekend in a row).

BTW, they opened up a new section of LiveWire... very nice!! and they built up some new stunts in the practice area at mid-mountain... four log drops increasing from 1' to like 6'... It's so nice to see them putting in so much work.

...and where exactly is it not dusty this time of year in this area?

I'm heading up there at N* this thursday.

Anybody else wants to carpool?

I might try to go there again this Sat. if the wife don't have any plans.

My 16yo brother is going on Sunday, he just picked up a Kona Stinky last week.

Nice thread. After a lengthy hiatus, it seems I'm inspired to start cycling again. I have a fairly cheap roadbike (DBR) to get some spinning time under me. But I have a couple of Specialized MTBs. The now-ancient, but still rocking (and my favorite) '96 "Smurf" Stumpjumper M2 (full XT) - remember when these frames were affordable AND still Made in the USA? Then I have an '02 M4 Stumpjumper FSRxc Disc. SO many cool bikes out nowadays, just no way to keep up. I'll be upgrading my FSR's front suspension. seat and handlebar - and I'm set. Thanks for keeping this post alive... I (re)discovered another love in my life - Mountain Biking. Now I'll keep my I out for the Snowboarding post soon. :teeth

2002_Specialized_Stumpjumper_FSR_XC_Disc-bikes.jpg

Northstar

OK, Everyone canceled on me. :(
I need someone to split a ride for a day trip to Northstar this Saturday 8/11
I'll drive.
Anyone interested??? :wtf

Re: Northstar

Harpo said:
OK, Everyone canceled on me. :(
I need someone to split a ride for a day trip to Northstar this Saturday 8/11
I'll drive.
Anyone interested??? :wtf

If you were going Sunday I'd offer up my brother and his buddy. I imagine they'll need somebody to show them the ropes at N* anyways.

Harpo said:
Can anyone recommend good downhill pedals? :wtf

You lookin for SPD or platform?

I have one more possibly who is interested in joining us on Sunday. I'll call you later about it.

Oh yeah, do you have the pressure suit and knee pads that Gregory used during your last trip?

CityBikeMike said:
You lookin for SPD or platform?

I have one more possibly who is interested in joining us on Sunday. I'll call you later about it.

Oh yeah, do you have the pressure suit and knee pads that Gregory used during your last trip?

DH Platform
Sweet
Yes, I'll bring it

DH Platform pedals

Harpo said:
DH Platform pedals

Yo Harpo, no recommendations on platform pedals :( I clip in.

You can ask some of my buds on Sunday since they all ride flats. One thing I know they will recommend... THE shoes... 510 assault shoes. Everyone I know that has tried them says they make any pedal great. See ya Sunday!! :cool

Hey MikeV, I rode the giant at N-star

It's a really nice riding bike. Pedaled pretty good for a long travel bike too. The rental at N-star was beat, but rode well once I dialed it in and repaired a few things. I give it a thumbs up. It is a bit overkill for anything more than shuttle runs. It would kick ass at D-ville, N-star and maybe some limited stuff here in the bay area and Santa Cruz, but I wouldn't want to be pedaling it around much.

Sounds good.

My brother went to N* yesterday and was telling me that the Giants are awesome.

I've been looking around and there are quite a few Bighits selling for very reasonable prices too.

Thanks

Re: Hey MikeV, I rode the giant at N-star

bicyclemech1 said:
It's a really nice riding bike. Pedaled pretty good for a long travel bike too. The rental at N-star was beat, but rode well once I dialed it in and repaired a few things. I give it a thumbs up. It is a bit overkill for anything more than shuttle runs. It would kick ass at D-ville, N-star and maybe some limited stuff here in the bay area and Santa Cruz, but I wouldn't want to be pedaling it around much.

Also, I totally missed that but :laughing at Gregory doing maintenance on the rental bike! That's priceless man!

Okay, how about this one: Santa Cruz Super 8

It's local to me and there are nothing but good reviews on MTBR.

Negatory on the Super 8, Ghostrider.

The search continues. The guy with that Faith 2 never got back to me.

OK, I'm down to 2:

The Faith 2, or this Transition Dirtbag

Giant: 8" travel, 4 way swinger shock
Dirtbag: 6" travel, Marzocchi's with external lockout

I'm leaning towards the Transition because of the lockout and I don't know that I'll actually need 8" of travel (and I read that giant frames run a little large, so the Medium may be a little big for me)

Re: DH Platform pedals

dking said:
Yo Harpo, no recommendations on platform pedals :( I clip in.

You can ask some of my buds on Sunday since they all ride flats. One thing I know they will recommend... THE shoes... 510 assault shoes. Everyone I know that has tried them says they make any pedal great. See ya Sunday!! :cool

Hey Doug, it was good meeting you up at Northstar last weekend. I was wondering - what was the name of the trail we took after the top section of Karpiel?

Re: Northstar

Hey Mike, good meeting you too. I'm not 100% sure which trail you went down when you split off. "WE" continued down the second section of Karpiel. We waited for you after the second section of Karpiel. When it was clear you weren't coming down that trail, we continued down the first section of Pho Dogg and then over to the lower section of Pho Dogg.

I figure you detoured to Flameout. From there, you could have gone quite a few different ways, so I'm not sure where you went.

Either way, it was fun riding with you and Joe for the few runs we did. I would have liked to take a few more runs with you guys, but my buddy was wiped from riding Saturday too and couldn't stay on his damn bike. Oh well, next time.

BTW, How was ur drive back? Ours sucked... six hours to get back. I didn't realize that it was Hot August Nights in Reno or we may have left even earlier. Oh well, live and learn.

CityBikeMike said:
Hey Doug, it was good meeting you up at Northstar last weekend. I was wondering - what was the name of the trail we took after the top section of Karpiel?

Harpo said:
Can anyone recommend good downhill pedals? :wtf

I've had the Azonic A Frames on my all-mountain bike for years now and have not had a problem with them. They've been good to me at Northstar and D-ville. When the crappy stock pedals on my downhill bike became loose, I replaced them with the Wellgo B37 -- $20 (closeout) a set were hard to pass up. Check out www.universalcycles.com for a good assortment of pedals. Just look for something with replaceable pins and a low profile so that you don't go rock bashing all the way down the mountain.

3338009-dsc02025_resize.jpg

Back