• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Re: Group Trip?

DaineseDan said:
I'm just testing the waters here, but...

We are planning on doing group ski/snowboard trips to Tahoe this winter, and track days next spring, but how many of you would be interested in a Dainese sponsored mountain bike trip?

How about a meet up at the shop for an early breakfast (plenty of parking), load up a tour bus with peope and bikes, and head out to Downieville or some other destination?

It would give folks with no transportation the opportunity to ride some terrain they've probably never seen, as well as give others the option to enjoy a day ride without the hassle of dealing with traffic (especially nice if coping with sore muscles or rash).

If enough folk show an interest, I have the option of working with a couple of local shops to arrange equiptment/bike demo's as well.

Whaddya say?
Where would we be leaving from??

Joe, you're killin me with all the wheelin, dealin, poachin, and snipin :) One minute, it's "A bigger bike will just hurt me that much more when I fall on it". Before ya know it, I see new updates to this thread with new links on CL / eBay ;)

While the travel numbers are the same, the air shocks on my Enduro can't be anywhere near as plush as the coiler on the Stinky. I may be wrong (and someone please correct me if I am), but that's my best guess.

Also, some Googling showed me that the 2004 Kona has 7" of rear travel. Different modelds of the Marzocchi Drop Off forks seem to have different amounts of travel.

I'd be interested in a Dainese sponsored DV trip too. Keep us posted, or let us know where we can find more info :)

CityBikeMike said:
Joe, you're killin me with all the wheelin, dealin, poachin, and snipin :) One minute, it's "A bigger bike will just hurt me that much more when I fall on it". Before ya know it, I see new updates to this thread with new links on CL / eBay ;)

While the travel numbers are the same, the air shocks on my Enduro can't be anywhere near as plush as the coiler on the Stinky. I may be wrong (and someone please correct me if I am), but that's my best guess.

Also, some Googling showed me that the 2004 Kona has 7" of rear travel. Different modelds of the Marzocchi Drop Off forks seem to have different amounts of travel.

I'd be interested in a Dainese sponsored DV trip too. Keep us posted, or let us know where we can find more info :)
Yes mikey, you are correct. I am suffering from HUA disease. (Head Up Ass) The fact of the matter is, when I make a statement, like many I have made to you, I actually believe, AT THE TIME, that's the direction I'm headed. Then the withdrawals set in and I pull out the needle and the spoon and look for something to melt down, suck into the syringe and mainline into my vein. I try and I try to walk the righteous path but just keep peddling astray. Maybe I need BA (Bikers Anonymous)

"Hi, my name is Joe, and I am an addict!"

We'd be leaving from the Dainese D-Store at 131 South Nan Ness located between 12th and Duboce on the SOMA/Mission border.

If people are stoked on this idea, I think I could make it happen pretty quickly.

DaineseDan said:
We'd be leaving from the Dainese D-Store at 131 South Nan Ness located between 12th and Duboce on the SOMA/Mission border.

If people are stoked on this idea, I think I could make it happen pretty quickly.

That would be cool, I'd be interested (mark me down for 2, maybe 4 people)

Re: Re: Re: Please Check This Out!!

Harpo said:
Hey Doug, it's not complete! Missing chain, rear Deraill, brakes, shifter, grips, ... and I'm sure a few other little pieces here and there.

Yeah, I missed that... I'm still recovering from my week on vacation. Anyway, I saw it sold for ~$1100, which is a steal IMO... and a much better bike than a 6" Stinky.

Dainese MTB trip

DaineseDan said:

Sounds great. Any prospective dates yet? That would be the determining factor for me. Keep up posted.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Group Trip?

dking said:
Yeah, I missed that... I'm still recovering from my week on vacation. Anyway, I saw it sold for ~$1100, which is a steal IMO... and a much better bike than a 6" Stinky.
I agree, Probably a spectacular bike. I just wasn't prepared to spend that much right now. I'm certain that I would have been less than satisfied with the Stinky or any bike that's not Dh specific. Think I'm gonna wait until the winter deals start rolling and hopefully get a great deal on a DH bike that will be a kick ass ride for many years to come. Santa Cruz V10, Intense, Turner. Something made for DH only. See any great deals, let me know. Size small :teeth

giusepi said:
Heya Harpo, is the bike I have somewhat appropriate for a Downieville trip?
That bike is definitely NOT a DH bike. You could survive a day at Downieville with it, BUT, you would have a much better time if you rented a 6 inch bike. Easier on your body parts and will get you out of many near crashes that the S-Works would have spit you off for.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Group Trip?

Harpo said:
I agree Probably a spectacular bike. I just wasn't prepared to spend that much right now. I'm certain that I would have been less than satisfied with the Stinky or any bike that not Dh specific. Think I'm gonna wait until the winter deals start rolling and hopefully get a great deal on a DH bike that will be a kick ass ride for many years to come. Santa, Cruz V10, Intense, Turner. Something made for DH only. See any great deals, let me know.

There was a guy on CL selling a Transition Dirtbag for a really good price, it's 6" suspension.

anybody wanna goto northstar on saturday? my brother and I are making a day trip.

It's not working out...

As many of you know, I picked up a new Specialized Enduro SL this past spring, in an attempt to upgrade from my trusty Cannondale Jekyll. On more technical terrain I've been struggling on the Specialized, with the increased ground clearance, longer wheelbase, and differences in geometry.

I played around with some images in Photoshop, and came up with the following graphic that illustrates the differences:

3365730-sl-vs-jekyll.jpg

This illustration shows the differences between a small Enduro SL and a small Jekyll - my medium Enduro SL has even more wheelbase. With a Thompson setback seatpost and a longer stem (top crown on the SL), I'm thinking the small Enduro just might do the trick.

With my weight further forward, I'm not floating through rock gardens on the Enduro the way I did on the Jekyll. The additional size has made it difficult getting into and out of switchbacks without sliding the bike around and dabbing out. The proprietary Specialized E150 air forks don't seem to have the same initial compliance as the Lefty Max coiler. The SL only has 0.7 more inches of travel, but it sure doesn't feel like it.

I'm thinking I'll bring a long stem and a Thompson setback seat post along on my next Downieville trip, rig them up to one of their small rental bikes, and see for myself how well it works out.

Last edited:
DaineseDan said:

I'd be totally in!:teeth

Re: It's not working out...

CityBikeMike said:

Mike, from what I remember, we dropped your shock mount position on the C-dale to slack the bike out (which also shifts your CG down and back . Have you tried that with the Enduro? You should be able to move the shock position to drop the bottom bracket height and slack the bike out a bit on that Enduro. The high bottom bracket takes some time to adjust to; the higher CG feels tipsy but it does give you more pedal clearence.

Joe, you don't want a Kona... especially not after owning your vpp's. Kona makes good bikes but the faux-bar suspension will not perform near a four-bar or vpp down rocky hills. I was in the same dilemma a few years ago on getting a straight-out downhill bike or a bike with more travel. LOFT (lack of f@#% talent) led me towards a designated dh bike. It's heavy but there's no substitute for big smiles and clean underwear. Your Nomad already has 6+" in the back, ya gotta go for something with 8 or more. ;)

I love my little porker:

3366086-dsc02027_resize.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Re: It's not working out...

fLyRiCE said:

Joe, you don't want a Kona... especially not after owning your vpp's. Kona makes good bikes but the faux-bar suspension will not perform near a four-bar or vpp down rocky hills. I was in the same dilemma a few years ago on getting a straight-out downhill bike or a bike with more travel. LOFT (lack of f@#% talent) led me towards a designated dh bike. It's heavy but there's no substitute for big smiles and clean underwear. Your Nomad already has 6+" in the back, ya gotta go for something with 8 or more. ;)

I love my little porker:

3366086-dsc02027_resize.jpg
I couldn't agree more. I've got all winter to look for a great deal on a DH ONLY bike. :thumbup If you see any great deals, let me know.

Anyone, ... PLEASE FEEL FREE TO GIVE OPINIONS
So just thinking, what if I took the Maverick off the Nomad and put on some sweet 8in 'DH specific" fork and replaced the air shock with a coil shock. (keep in mind I all ready have a sweet set of DH wheels and tires) Would that turn the Nomad into a reasonable DH bike or do I just friggen need to get a DH bike. (also keep in mind that I'm 42 stinkin' years old and ain't looking to be Joe-Rockstar-Racer), just have a better/safer time on the 3 or so trips a year to Northstar

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: It's not working out...

Harpo said:
I couldn't agree more. I've got all winter to look for a great deal on a DH ONLY bike. :thumbup If you see any great deals, let me know.

So just thinking, what if I took the Maverick off the Nomad and put on some sweet 8in 'DH specific" fork and replaced the air shock with a coil shock. (keep in mind I all ready have a sweet set of DH wheels and tires) Would that turn the Nomad into a reasonable DH bike or do I just friggen need to get a DH bike. (also keep in mind that I'm 42 stinkin' years old and ain't looking to be Joe-Rockstar-Racer), just have a better/safer time on the 3 or so trips a year to Northstar

Dunno how much you're wanting to spend, but last time I was at Livermore Cyclery they had two 05 Bighits for 1399 each. They're both Medium frames though.

Re: Re: Re: It's not working out...

Harpo said:

An 8in fork will void the warranty on your Nomad. If you want to tweak your bike for more of a dh geometry, I'd say a Marzocchi 66 fork in 180mm travel is the way to go. The 66 has the longest axle to crown length among forks of similar travel so you can slack out the head angle quite a bit. I'd say this setup would make a pretty good light-dh bike (just know that the Nomad isn't a dh bike). However, this would require you to get another front wheel since your Maverick fork doesn't use a standard 20mm thru axle hub.

Alright, it looks like we might have enough interest. I'm looking for transport options right now, and will give an update within a couple of days.

Be sure to pass the word on, as the more we get on board, the more interesting I can make this.

Re: Re: It's not working out...

fLyRiCE said:
Mike, from what I remember, we dropped your shock mount position on the C-dale to slack the bike out (which also shifts your CG down and back . Have you tried that with the Enduro? You should be able to move the shock position to drop the bottom bracket height and slack the bike out a bit on that Enduro. The high bottom bracket takes some time to adjust to; the higher CG feels tipsy but it does give you more pedal clearence.

It actually came in the more slacked out position! And I'm struggling to get the air shock to work as well as the Lefty over gnarly terrain, even with the additional travel. I'm starting to wonder if there's any hope for me...

I just feel so at home on the Jekyll, I may sell the Enduro and just stick with it. Specialized themselves say the Enduro is more XC oriented than the Santa Cruz Nomad, which is more of an "All Mountain" trail machine.

Damn Ted - for some reason, I always thought your DH bike was a Big Hit. I never realized it was a Demo!

Back