• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Sell a new bike? That sux! I know that regular Enduro's are a closer rival to the Nomad. Maybe you can try one of those out. I remember D-ville Outfitters has 'em as part of their rental fleet.

You guys riding Soquel lately? I want to hit that up.

fLyRiCE said:
Sell a new bike? That sux! I know that regular Enduro's are a closer rival to the Nomad. Maybe you can try one of those out. I remember D-ville Outfitters has 'em as part of their rental fleet.

How light do those get? With a coiler rear and a Fox 42 front, it looks like you can get 170mm rear and 160mm front travel out of that thing. I'm betting it'll have more compliance over gnarly terrain than the SL will too - I still haven't found the right combination of air pressure and damping that will float rock gardens the way I want them too. Then again, with as much weight on the front as it (my Enduro SL) seems to have with the stock ergos, I'm wondering if it'll work as well as other bikes I've ridden.

I did a visual overlay and attached it below - they don't look too different as far as ergos and geometry are concerned.

3370744-enduros.jpg

You guys riding Soquel lately? I want to hit that up.

I did Soquel not too long ago. After only riding my road bike and Tamarancho (with a little Annadel) for the past year and a half, the jumps I used to hit at Soquel now look HUUUUUGE.

DaineseDan said:
Does anyone have any opinions/experience with Ellsworth, particularly the Moment downhill bike?

I know a guy with one - I'll see if I can get him to chime in next time I see him online. Have you checked the mtbr.com forums for informal reviews yet?

Last edited:
CityBikeMike said:
How light do those get? With a coiler rear and a Fox 42 front, it looks like you can get 170mm rear and 160mm front travel out of that thing. I'm betting it'll have more compliance over gnarly terrain than the SL will too - I still haven't found the right combination of air pressure and damping that will float rock gardens the way I want them too. Then again, with as much weight on the front as it (my Enduro SL) seems to have with the stock ergos, I'm wondering if it'll work as well as other bikes I've ridden.

I did a visual overlay and attached it below - they don't look too different as far as ergos and geometry are concerned.

3370744-enduros.jpg
Enduro, IMHO, is not what you want for your do everything bike. Tim may argue that and he goes like hell on his but I don't think it would be a great fit for you, ... but I could be wrong. :wtf

Looks like the Blur LT isn't selling and gonna get built. Just wait 'till you see what I got for it. When it get's finished I'll let you take it out. Hell, it might just be the bike your looking for. Should be a real Bad-Ass :thumbup ;)

Quickly Quickly Quickly!! ....... I need opinions before the bikes are complketely sold out.

Does anyone know anything about this bike? Is it a good bike? Can I use it for more than just DH and Northstar. (as in, ... will it climb back up the hill where there is no chairlift?)

Iron Horse 7 Point 5

Last edited:
170mm / 180mm travel coiler rear with the ability to climb? Sounds kinda like the Cannondale Gemini, except the Iron Horse doesn't have the single pivot suspension.

Were you there when I talked to the guy who had one at the end of the Auburn downhill? He absolutely loved his for that very reason.

Oh yeah, I'm a go for Tamarancho on Saturday. I'll talk to ya more about it in a bit.

My new toy...

Well, since Harpo's getting a new bike, I figured it was time. Here's my new toy!!

rt2.JPG

Took it for it's first ride earlier today... a loop around Saratoga Gap/Longridge. The good news, it rode great. The bad news, it ate the rear deraileurs carbon cages about halfway round :mad At least I was able to rig it up well enough to ride it out.

Gorgeous rig! What kind of weight / travel does it have?

CityBikeMike said:
Gorgeous rig! What kind of weight / travel does it have?

The frame has 178mm (~7") rear travel. The fork is a Totem Solo Air with 180mm travel.

It's pretty hefty at 36-37lbs. I could get it under 35lbs pretty easily (pedals, tires, wheels, seatpost, cranks), but that would detract from it's intended purpose... and I have my weight weenie Blur LT for that. :cool

Harpo said:
Quickly Quickly Quickly!! ....... I need opinions before the bikes are complketely sold out.

Does anyone know anything about this bike? Is it a good bike? Can I use it for more than just DH and Northstar. (as in, ... will it climb back up the hill where there is no chairlift?)

Iron Horse 7 Point 5

I rode one a couple years back for a couples days and I have to say that it's an awesome bike. You don't really feel the suspension until you need it. The dw-link rear is pretty much the same as vpp.

Re: My new toy...

dking said:
Well, since Harpo's getting a new bike, I figured it was time. Here's my new toy!!

Took it for it's first ride earlier today... a loop around Saratoga Gap/Longridge. The good news, it rode great. The bad news, it ate the rear deraileurs carbon cages about halfway round :mad At least I was able to rig it up well enough to ride it out.
Hey Doug, seeing as the is primarily (if not completely) a Northstar bike, why didn't you get a bike that is considered a "Full DH" bike??

Re: My new toy...

Harpo said:
Hey Doug, seeing as the is primarily (if not completely) a Northstar bike, why didn't you get a bike that is considered a "Full DH" bike??

Heck no... that's my trail bike :teeth I ride my Bullit(s) around Santa Cruz, JMP, Pacifica, D'ville, etc. Basically anywhere I feel like having more travel than the Blur LT provides. The Bullit is just converted to a 45lb N* sled for the summer, then back once N* closes.

The Bullit seems to be more than enough for N* at the speeds I'm going and it pedals surprisingly well when I have to. I've gone back and forth, but I doubt I will get a bike that I only would ride at N*. Of course there's no telling what I'll be saying tomorrow... or next week... or next month... and especially next summer when N* re-opens :cool

Re: Re: My new toy...

dking said:
Heck no... that's my trail bike :teeth I ride my Bullit(s) around Santa Cruz, JMP, Pacifica, D'ville, etc. Basically anywhere I feel like having more travel than the Blur LT provides. The Bullit is just converted to a 45lb N* sled for the summer, then back once N* closes.

The Bullit seems to be more than enough for N* at the speeds I'm going and it pedals surprisingly well when I have to. I've gone back and forth, but I doubt I will get a bike that I only would ride at N*. Of course there's no telling what I'll be saying tomorrow... or next week... or next month... and especially next summer when N* re-opens :cool
Check your PM's

Is XC Dead?

Does XC get no love anymore? I feel so... "inadequate" with my short-travel XC-specific dualie... and my old school hardtail Stumpy. :cry :laughing

I must be nuts for wanting a hardtail steel-framed 29er huh? I am not yet sold on the single-speed Kool-Aid a few are perpetuating, but GT's Peace9er makes for a good, cheap ($499 complete), do-anything, back-to-basics bike.

All your free-ride, huck machines are purdy though...

Back