• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

can you park at the K wall and ride in? there has been some discussion of that on ROMP.

After looking on MTBR, there's not much room to park there. I hear they're also looking to prevent roadside parking up to a mile from the K Wall.

If I hear any updates, I'll post em here!

Mike: there was a K wall across the road? I was just up there the weekend before for Trailhead's dirt demo and you could get through. Of course there was a sign that said "road closed" for like 30ft, but nothing blocking the way. That sucks! At least I got in before they blocked it. Maybe they'll at least try to fix it.

Thinking about going to UCSC this Saturday... leaving around 10AM from Fremont. Anyone interested in tagging along is welcome. L8r. :cool

Mike: there was a K wall across the road? I was just up there the weekend before for Trailhead's dirt demo and you could get through. Of course there was a sign that said "road closed" for like 30ft, but nothing blocking the way. That sucks! At least I got in before they blocked it. Maybe they'll at least try to fix it.

Thinking about going to UCSC this Saturday... leaving around 10AM from Fremont. Anyone interested in tagging along is welcome. L8r. :cool

Word is that it's open again. It happened on Monday, only a few days after it was put up - being a holiday, people are thinking it wasn't a county deal. At the same time, supposedly lots of residents didn't like the idea of having limited escape routes in the event of a fire.

Hmmmm. Could be a possibility. just need to know one thing. Is it gonna be a 29 pound Nomad ride or a 45 pound Iron Horse ride? The Nomad suspension went back to Maverick, cost me more than it should have and works like crap now. Probably gonna have to pay someone else to redo what Maverick F@#$ED up.

Hmmmm. Could be a possibility. just need to know one thing. Is it gonna be a 29 pound Nomad ride or a 45 pound Iron Horse ride? The Nomad suspension went back to Maverick, cost me more than it should have and works like crap now. Probably gonna have to pay someone else to redo what Maverick F@#$ED up.

The Nomad would be fine although you can find stuff to challenge your Iron Horse too. Just depends on what you feel like pedaling up the hill. I'll prolly be on the Bullit. There will prolly be some intermediate level (read slower) riders there, so pace won't be an issue for you.

I'm only slightly surprised that Maverick screwed up working on their own fork. One day you'll get a real fork... :laughing

I'm a member of "ROMP" and there has been a bunch of e press on this (as of last Friday):

Okay, I drove back to look at how the county blocked Highland Way. They put two k-rails (concrete barriers) one at each end of the slide and mounded up dirt behind them. You can still get a bicycle or a motorcycle thru without much difficulty. There aren’t any “No Parking” signs along Highland Way before the slide. So, you can still access the Demo from Highland Way with about an extra mile of riding at the beginning of your ride and at the end of your ride. I’m not sure how this closure will affect the recent vehicle break-ins. I would strongly suggest biting the bullet and driving around thru Corralitos and taking Eureka Canyon Road to Highland Way to Demo. If you are coming from the Bay Area I would add about 45 minutes to your drive time.

and

Yes, I know Highland Way will be closed to vehicular traffic starting November 8th, but don’t let that stop you from having a great time riding at the Demo. Trail conditions are amazing right now. This is also a great time to get together with others from ROMP and MBOSC. Last month we had 12 riders show up!!

If you choose to come to SDF via Highland Way be aware that you will have to park before the slide and ride your bike to SDF. I will try and make it up there Friday to check on the parking situation along the road and report back to this list. The safest option, but longer drive for many is to access thru Corralitos and Eureka Canyon road. If you are coming from San Jose take Highway 17 and go south on Highway 1. Take the Freedom Blvd. exit, and at the top of the off ramp turn left. Take Freedom Blvd. for about 5 miles until you come to a stop sign. Turn left at the stop sign onto Corralitos Rd. Proceed another 2 miles to the next stop sign at the Corralitos Market. After stopping continue straight onto Eureka Canyon Road. Demo is approximately 10 miles from the stop sign next to the Corralitos market.

There continue to be vehicle break-ins midweek, but rare on the weekends due to the number of people in the parking lot on weekends. I recommend not leaving anything visible in your vehicles, especially backpacks. Leave your valuables at home or stuff them in your hydration pack.

These pics were posted on MTBR.com. Highland Way as of this morning, 11/14/07:

DSCF0564.jpg

DSCF0565.jpg

DSCF0566.jpg

The Nomad would be fine although you can find stuff to challenge your Iron Horse too. Just depends on what you feel like pedaling up the hill. I'll prolly be on the Bullit. There will prolly be some intermediate level (read slower) riders there, so pace won't be an issue for you.

I'm only slightly surprised that Maverick screwed up working on their own fork. One day you'll get a real fork... :laughing
I am a little bit tweaked about the Maverick fork, my Maverick Dealer and Maverick. (the company)
Oh Well! It's OK, It'll give me something to bitch about when we ride.:teeth Gonna pull the fork apart tomorrow with Gregory and see what we come up with.

As for riding Saturday, think I'm about 85% on the probably side. Can we carpool from Freemont?

We are gonna make it a long enough ride to make it worth the drive there and back, .... right???? :wtf

Never mind. If I can't get the Maverick sorted out and I end up on the 7.5 than any ride with up-hills is a long enough ride.:laughing:laughing

Last edited:
Dude, I can totally make that in the Suby' :laughing:rofl:wow:teeth LOFL

Attachments

• DSCF0565-1.jpg
    DSCF0565-1.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 68
Doug, ... ANYONE???
Anyone have a rear shock (I believe) 7.5 x 2 that Bikemech1 can borrow for Saturday for his Intense 5.5?

These pics were posted on MTBR.com. Highland Way as of this morning, 11/14/07:

DSCF0565.jpg

that looks like maybe a road closed sign that has been, er, toppled? The road is closed, eh?

todays ROMP post:

"The main access route to Soquel Demonstration State Forest from the Bay Area, Highland Way, has once again been blocked by the county with large concrete barriers. I’m not sure how soon the locals will have it back open. This could get interesting!"

My guess is the locals are making the route passable...

Hey Greg, thanks a million for all your help last night. I get to try out the new settings Saturday, will keep you posted. :)

I just tuned up the bike for winter.

Anyone interested in doing some trails on Mount Diablo? How about Downey Ville?

Hey bike freaks !!

I hit China Camp w/Solis last weekend. My rigid frame did well until rocks and roots got bigger than 3".

So now my hardtail plan is dashed.
My hardtail budget is being rolled into a fs.
I'm burning through money on craigslist.

Please help!
What's a 2005 Iron Horse MKIII Team frame worth?

Hey bike freaks !!

I hit China Camp w/Solis last weekend. My rigid frame did well until rocks and roots got bigger than 3".

So now my hardtail plan is dashed.
My hardtail budget is being rolled into a fs.
I'm burning through money on craigslist.

Please help!
What's a 2005 Iron Horse MKIII Team frame worth?
No idea!!
Just tell me basically what kind of bike you are looking for (what size, what you will be riding, how many inches travel, approximate budget) and I can steer you in the right direction as well as keeping a watchful eye. (I'm always looking anyway)

Joe, what were those wheels you were talking about? were they the Forté Terramax? If so, I just ordered a set of front and rear for something like $109 after the additional 10% discount on Performance Bike.

No idea!!
Just tell me basically what kind of bike you are looking for (what size, what you will be riding, how many inches travel, approximate budget) and I can steer you in the right direction as well as keeping a watchful eye. (I'm always looking anyway)

too late. ;)

Last edited:
Joe, what were those wheels you were talking about? were they the Forté Terramax? If so, I just ordered a set of front and rear for something like $109 after the additional 10% discount on Performance Bike.
Yes, They will be good for you.
Just have Greg true them after a ride or 2. :teeth

Back