• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Any suggestions on solid, affordable, disc-ready wheels? Maybe something one can find one eBay or CL?

I've found a few things doing searches for "wheelset" on CL with a max price of $200. In fact, it's how I found the Bontrager Race Lite wheels for my roadie.

Any suggestions on solid, affordable, disc-ready wheels? Maybe something one can find one eBay or CL?

I've found a few things doing searches for "wheelset" on CL with a max price of $200. In fact, it's how I found the Bontrager Race Lite wheels for my roadie.

I found these on ebay. Probably more than you want to spend but think about this. If you are going to upgrade, might as well upgrade enough to make it worth upgrading. If not, what you all ready have, ... works!

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MAVIC-CROSS...ryZ58087QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ndexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mavic-Cannondal...ryZ58087QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

PS. Yes, it seems that Harpo can no longer figure out how to add a link into his replies. (Hmmm, what a dumbass) Can any tell him how? :wtf

Although I'm in no rush, I've actually checked out all three of those today :)

Checking the "Completed listings only" under Advanced Search, , it looks like the Lefty-specific Mavic 819s for around $250.

I'm wondering about general wheels for John / Bap - he needs something for the FSR-XC I sold him without breaking the bank. If I upgrade, I definitely plan on doing it right! I'd like to weigh mine and compare, in any case...

John, the Forté Terramax wheels IMHO are probably the best bang for the buck. I used them for many years and they served me well. Only 150 grams heavier than wheels costing more than twice as much. AND, ... they hold up to abuse. They will be a great compliment to the bike you're riding now and definitely won't break the bank. :thumbup

Already ordered :) Thanks Mike, Joe.

And what's the consensus on bar ends? I don't really care whether they are in vogue or not. I am more concerned with whether or not they will help me with climbing. Call me a pussy, I don't care. :p

Try CL. I saw some deemaxs last week. You can always lace something to your lefty hub.

Already ordered :) Thanks Mike, Joe.

And what's the consensus on bar ends? I don't really care whether they are in vogue or not. I am more concerned with whether or not they will help me with climbing. Call me a pussy, I don't care. :p
Pussy :laughing:laughing:laughing

I have some.
You can try them and see if you like them.

Mt. Bike Adventure

Annedale / Santa Rosa
Saturday morning , 11/24, EARLY!!!

This will not be a beginner ride regarding the terrain and/or saddle time.
The ride will be no less than 20+ miles and terrain gets technical and/or aggressive at times.

That said, if you feel that your up for a challenging ride, join us. :teeth

Right now the riders are Myself, Gregory, Solis and friend of Solis'.

Happy Turkey Day
Gobble Gobble Gobble!!

Pussy :laughing:laughing:laughing

I have some.
You can try them and see if you like them.

Yes, please. Meet at Greg's when my wheels come in?

I have my brakes sitting on a shelf in the garage, wondering whether I should install them tonight for my ride tomorrow.... hmmmmmm.

Did anyone do the appetite seminar in Fairfax on turkey day?
According to the ranger I was number 785 at 10:30 that morning.
He said 550 people passed him between 7:00 and 8:30.

I had a chance to test ride my new [to me] Jekyll 600.....great bike!

Jeremy, Sonny and I rode Joaquin Miller Park today.....it was a blast!:D

Jeremy, Sonny and I rode Joaquin Miller Park today.....it was a blast!:D
I saw Jeremy (I think) and Sonny but had to take off to catch my buddies before you pulled up. Hope you had fun. :teeth
We'll have to organize a big ride at China Camp or Tamarancho soon.

Post a few pix of ur new rig for us all to see.

Any of the guys I ride with can tell you how much I love mine :) Did you get a small frame?

I saw Jeremy (I think) and Sonny but had to take off to catch my buddies before you pulled up. Hope you had fun. :teeth

Were you up at Miller, Joe? I was thinking of taking Lisa there, but we ended up doing Annadel. Yup, two days in a row - running an almost identical loop.

Not surprisingly, she's roasting me on the more technical climbs now! I'd actually like to get a Miller run in, just so I can test out this new coil shock I picked up. We'll talk...

We'll have to organize a big ride at China Camp or Tamarancho soon.

Totally. Maybe we could even make arrangements for a post ride BBQ or something?

Last edited:
Any of the guys I ride with can tell you how much I love mine :) Did you get a small frame?

Totally. Maybe we could even make arrangements for a post ride BBQ or something?

Yes, I got a small frame.

Sinawik-Sunset-Big Trees was a fun trail. I would love to explore Cinderella and others as well.

This weekend?:laughing Saturday? Sunday? BOTH?:p

That'd be cool.

Were you up at Miller, Joe? I was thinking of taking Lisa there, but we ended up doing Annadel. Yup, two days in a row - running an almost identical loop.

Not surprisingly, she's roasting me on the more technical climbs now! I'd actually like to get a Miller run in, just so I can test out this new coil shock I picked up. We'll talk...

There's three miles of multi use single track from my house to JMP, with a little bit of pavement in between.

If we do a JMP ride, we can do a BBQ at my pad afterwards :)

But I'm out of town this weekend :(

Post a few pix of ur new rig for us all to see.

Here's my new toy:)

jekyll002.jpg

Here's my new toy:)

jekyll002.jpg
Nice Bike Roxy! :thumbup
If you become any kind of a serious rider in more aggressive, technical, or faster terrain, .... you will probably want to swap out the fork. :teeth

Mike The stuff we rode would have been no fun for Lisa. I ride that stuff fully padded and wouldn't do it without.

Dude, I put in about 6 or 7 miles miles with Doug and buds. My legs feel pretty weak today. I definitely would not have had another 20+ miles at Annadel in me. :barf

PSSanta Cruz is looking like a good possibility for Saturday. Waiting on Doug's schedule for a confirmation.

Last edited:
Back