• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Getting a little bit of air:

IMG_1473Medium.jpg

Lisa goes for it as well - her first ever jump!

IMG_1474Medium.jpg

you guys ever do newbie mountainbike rides? Never really been able to go off the paved paths when I've been to parks, and always enjoyed the little bits of dirt I've managed to find.

you guys ever do newbie mountainbike rides? Never really been able to go off the paved paths when I've been to parks, and always enjoyed the little bits of dirt I've managed to find.

I'm a total n00b to mountain biking, just come out and play :)

Perhaps I shall! I got 661 knee protectors, so I'm set in that dep't.

just need to get a new bike, probably the kona hoss! :thumbup

If you're gonna ride with these hooligans though, FS might be a better option, just get a rear lockout shock so you can hardtail it on your commute :)

I don't really want to pay the FS price, especially cause I just lock my bike outside my work :S

Correction, the basic FS models cost what I was going to pay for a good HT :D

Actually, whats the terrain like? I could get a "XC" style dual suspension within my price point...

Last edited:
I have a XC FS bike that seems to do the job well (I bought MrCrash's Specialized XC). Then again, I'm a n00b :p

well right now its between the 08 Kona "Four" the 07 Kona Kikapu Deluxe [which I'd cover with tenacious D stuff] Trek Fuel EX 5.5, the specialized FSRxc rim [though I'd rather disk brakes, rim are easy to service]

all around the same price point... I'm leaning towards the 07 kikapu deluxe, although the trek seems nice, too.

I don't really want to pay the FS price, especially cause I just lock my bike outside my work :S

Correction, the basic FS models cost what I was going to pay for a good HT :D

Actually, whats the terrain like? I could get a "XC" style dual suspension within my price point...

If you're up in Santa Rosa, Annadel is a prime time riding area. Lots of rocky stuff - full suspension good :)

We've actually done plenty of newb mountain bike rides over the past couple of months. John (Baptistro), Everett (Ducky Fresh), and Roxy (zx6roxy) are all pretty new riders who have joined my girlfriend and me out at China Camp. We're starting to move on to more challenging terrain, so I'm not sure how many more pure "newb" rides there are gonna be. But plenty of folks here would probably be happy to ride with ya :)

Just curious, what's your price range? You might want to get a P.O.S. beater to commute on, and leave your nice bike at home.

I just took up Unicycling, it sort of fits into mountain biking. You see, I am going to start Mountain Unicycling, or Muniing! :teeth

I am very excited! I just got my Uni in the mail 5 days ago, and I have already taught myself how to free mount and to ride about 500 feet. I guess that is unheard of? At least that's what my Chiropractor says, he has been Muniing for about 10 years now.

Guess I'm just good at riding... horses, motorcycles, now unicycles! :rofl

Does anyone else on here uni? If so, let me know! I'm totally stoked to start meeting more people to go uni with! :thumbup

Half-assed wheelie attempts are as close as it gets for me :)

Are you doing any offroad unicycling?

clemstartb.jpg

my price range is below 1400 $ I'd say, and for commuting I've tried beaters, just piss me off :S

note -- once I get my kawisaki, I'll leave the mountainbike at home.

Booyakasha!

I'm stoked, who wants to go riding somewhere in the south bay saturday? Name the place!

Pic 1 is of my new (used Enduro SL).
Pic 2 is the pile of gear I got to go with it from Fox. :D

Attachments

• IMG00100.jpg
    IMG00100.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG00099.jpg
    IMG00099.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 58
I just took up Unicycling, it sort of fits into mountain biking. You see, I am going to start Mountain Unicycling, or Muniing! :teeth

I am very excited! I just got my Uni in the mail 5 days ago, and I have already taught myself how to free mount and to ride about 500 feet. I guess that is unheard of? At least that's what my Chiropractor says, he has been Muniing for about 10 years now.

Guess I'm just good at riding... horses, motorcycles, now unicycles! :rofl

Does anyone else on here uni? If so, let me know! I'm totally stoked to start meeting more people to go uni with! :thumbup

I saw a guy on the UCSC trails on one this past weekend. I also see a guy on one in Joaquin Miller Park from time to time. Rest assured there are others out there that are just as looney as you! Which reminds me, Phil from Aftershocks Suspension is always cruising around on a Uni at the racetrack. I dunno if he is on barf or not.

No doubt it takes a lot of skill and balance to ride those things, but something about using my unmentionables as shock absorbers makes me want to stick to the mountain bike...

have fun though, post up pics when you can.

here is some inspiration, these guys are nuts!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N4xmcHeajQ

Last edited:
Awesome - where do you plan on taking her first?

Wanna do it on Sunday? We could do Miller, or combine Redwood and Miller to work our appetites up :)

I've no idea. She's not the most athletic person (more of a girly girl without the $$$ tastes, used to be a dancer (not the exotic kind :mad)), so I'd have to start her off REALLY slow. It's also a way of getting myself a second bike with a quick part swap ;) :shhh

Let's call the ride and BBQ for Sunday the 16th of December. We can ride straight from my house to Redwood and JMP. :thumbup

Any preference for a start time?

I've no idea. She's not the most athletic person (more of a girly girl without the $$$ tastes, used to be a dancer (not the exotic kind :mad)), so I'd have to start her off REALLY slow. It's also a way of getting myself a second bike with a quick part swap ;) :shhh

Seems like the first ride or two and make or break a new rider's enthusiasm. I'd go with Coyote Hills by the Dumbarton Bridge - it's a nice, mellow way to start with some nice views. More experienced riders can go right over the hills that newer riders will ride around.

Let's call the ride and BBQ for Sunday the 16th of December. We can ride straight from my house to Redwood and JMP. :thumbup

Any preference for a start time?

10 AM is a good time for me. Anything earlier and it's just plain cold out!

Back