• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

i just signed up for the sea otter downhill race!! wooot.
Doug and I, .... and a bunch of others spend the weekend there. I won't be racing for obvious reasons, ... old, tired, broken, (hell I m might even still be in a cast or so) :wtf but if we figure out who you are and what you look like (in gear) might be able to get some vid of you so you can actually show your friends a) How sweet you really are or b) laugh your ass off about how badly you screwed up that section. :teeth

Hey guys I've been wanting a bicycle for a long time. And i see what you guys do and it looks fun. But my biggest concern is money.

Is this sport a money pit? If you do it for fun?

And also how much would i be looking to spend to get started?

Is there a bike that is good for off road and urban riding (jumping off of curbs)?

Hey guys I've been wanting a bicycle for a long time. And i see what you guys do and it looks fun. But my biggest concern is money.

Is this sport a money pit? If you do it for fun?

And also how much would i be looking to spend to get started?

Is there a bike that is good for off road and urban riding (jumping off of curbs)?
The expensive answer - Someone who shall remain nameless just spent about 30% (give or take, she can correct my percentage if I'm wrong) on a used but hi-end set of motorcycle dirt bike suspension as she would have spent on a hi end set of suspension on any one of her hi-end mtn. bikes.

The INexpensive answer - Go to Performance Bikes or Mikes Bikes, etc.,. and buy a 2009 0r 2008 left over that's been sitting on the floor collecting dust that they are just looking to get rid of to make room for the newer models.

Attachments

• IMG_1647.jpg
    IMG_1647.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1651.jpg
    IMG_1651.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1650.jpg
    IMG_1650.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1646.jpg
    IMG_1646.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1653.jpg
    IMG_1653.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 44
The expensive answer - Someone who shall remain nameless just spent about 30% (give or take, she can correct my percentage if I'm wrong) on a used but hi-end set of motorcycle dirt bike suspension as she would have spent on a hi end set of suspension on any one of her hi-end mtn. bikes.

The INexpensive answer - Go to Performance Bikes or Mikes Bikes, etc.,. and buy a 2009 0r 2008 left over that's been sitting on the floor collecting dust that they are just looking to get rid of to make room for the newer models.

Thanks for the response Harpo.

Wow i was hoping to spend about $500 on a whole bike that would last me a lifetime. :laughing

But $825 for a frame and some extras :wtf

I remember looking at a TREK bike and a Giant Brass 1 that were in my price range.

Is there specific Gear that you guys use? Or is it just dirt bike gear?

Wow i was hoping to spend about $500 on a whole bike that would last me a lifetime. :laughing

My first "real" full suspension mountain bike was in that price range - a GT I-drive that came with some good components.

A bike like that *could* last you a lifetime. But if you end up enjoying it enough, you'll probably want to upgrade. Most motorcyclists do :)

Lycra!

Thanks for the response Harpo.

But $825 for a frame and some extras :wtf

I remember looking at a TREK bike and a Giant Brass 1 that were in my price range.

Dude, $825 for all that stuff is beyond a good deal. A new top of the line fork, ALONE, could easily be in the 1k range. This is not what you are looking for, though. You will be much better off and cheaper buying a complete bike.

Buying a bike piece by piece is usually a more expenses way to do it but once you get to a certain level of biking and you know what frame/components suite you the best, .... you get them. (the reward is in the riding something that absolutely suits you) :thumbup :teeth

Yes, you can buy a mtn. bike for $500 (I mentioned a couple of places in my original post) that will last you a lifetime, .... so long as you only plan on riding it to Trader Joe's and picking up some organic milk twice a week. :laughing

If you actually want a mountain bike that will be a confident mtn. bike, prepare to spend more. Guesstimate, ... $1200 - $1700 will get you a pretty damn decent used (full suspension) mtn. bike that will last quite some time.
Less for a hard-tail.

Last edited:
i just signed up for the sea otter downhill race!! wooot.
Do you have a USAC lic. or are you doing the permit thing?
I'm thinking of signing up too..Was gonna do Super D but I think I wanna hit the DH...Would like to try DS too but I think my bike might be too heavy...
Might do it anyway...It's all for fun anyway....Right??:laughing
Anyone got info on the DS course?

Nothin wrong with spandex if you're a good rider, but don't wear roadie fag matching lycra and fumble down the hill
Nothing wrong with Spandex...As long as it's under baggies...Or on teh wimmenz..:party

I don't see anything but Lycra here... :p

I started on a $450 hardtail (2004) and have very slowly upgraded, so don't worry about getting a BMW to start when a Civic will do :teeth

Attachments

• lycra.jpg
    lycra.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
If you ride hard you will fall. Fall a few times in spandex, ... then get back to me about clothing choice. :(

Hmm... I ride hard aerobically (xc), but I'm not out trying to capture the Downhill, Freeride, Jump, etc trophies, in which case I can see the need for pads n' stuff.

Back