• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Undecided on the Codes. Some work flawlessly and some need lots of attention.

As far as the Elixirs, I am definitely an Avid fan, (always had Juicy 7's) they seem to work pretty darn good and they are light as hell (got my Nomad down to 28.65 pounds with medium weight pedals and a super heavy seat) but what I don't like about them is, as they start to heat up the lever gets harder and engages further away from the bar and the pad contact and/or lever adjust are absolutely impossible to do on the fly. Think next time I'll just start with the levers a little closer to the bar. :teeth

i am looking to upgrade my brakes. i have 7 inch and i want to get 8 inch what would you suggest.

i am looking to upgrade my brakes. i have 7 inch and i want to get 8 inch what would you suggest.

How about just swapping on some 8" rotors? :twofinger

No really, what kind of brakes are on your bike now? I'm sure either Harpo or I have some rotors for ya. :thumbup

How about just swapping on some 8" rotors? :twofinger

No really, what kind of brakes are on your bike now? I'm sure either Harpo or I have some rotors for ya. :thumbup
Ditto Dat :teeth

Undecided on the Codes. Some work flawlessly and some need lots of attention.

"as bad" ?

My codes have worked great from day one.
As I stated previously, with Codes, some work flawlessly right out of the package and some need a little attention.

Right now i have shimano deore lx brakes. they are the ones where you push down on the levers to shift.

Last edited:
Right now i have shimano deore lx brakes. they are the ones where you push down on the levers to shift.
Well then if you change your brakes you will also need to change your shifters. (can't change one without the other on your set-up) Is that what you want to do? Change both brakes and shifters????? Furthermore, how big are you (size weight) and how aggressively do you ride? If you are not very heavy and are only riding xc, there is no good enough reason that you need 8" rotors. Most of the people out there can get away with 6" or a 7" front and 6" rear. Why do you think that you need 8" rotors?

Regardless, figure out what you want/need and as Doug said, I'm sure one of us has exactly what you need/want. I have quite a stock-pile of brake systems, different sized rotors, shifters, blah blah blah........

Last edited:

Well then if you change your brakes you will also need to change your shifters. (can't change one without the other on your set-up) Is that what you want to do? Change both brakes and shifters????? Furthermore, how big are you (size weight) and how aggressively do you ride? If you are not very heavy and are only riding xc, there is no good enough reason that you need 8" rotors. Most of the people out there can get away with 6" or a 7" front and 6" rear. Why do you think that you need 8" rotors?

SLR, I sent you a PM. You can just swap on 8" rotors and caliper adapters. The older Shimano brakes were not very powerful, so I understand why you may want to bump up the rotor size. You may want to check that your fork is rated for 8" rotors. I only bring it up because some early forks warned against it. :|

If you wanted to switch to another brand/type of brake, you would have to change your shifters too. I'm not sure if you want to go that far, but let me know if that's an option.

Posting this here for friend , his ride just got Jacked.

Rb said:
My bike just got jacked!!! :(

From International Ave. / 6th Ave. Oakland, CA

Pics:
sofa-side.jpg

threequarter.jpg

bars.jpg

One of a kind.

Please keep your eyes peeled and ears open. If you hear/see anything, please call me 818-518-7827 or email: theraybao@gmail.com

This bike means so little to the asstard that stole it, but it means the world to me.

HELP!! :(

Regardless, figure out what you want/need and as Doug said, I'm sure one of us has exactly what you need/want. I have quite a stock-pile of brake systems, different sized rotors, shifters, blah blah blah........

i was thinking about changing to the thumb shifters(dont know the name of them) and i am 5'11 and 240 lbs. i do all kind of ridding but we down hill also and i need just a little more brake.

Posting this here for friend , his ride just got Jacked.

So sorry to hear that,

I guarantee that you will not see many of these frames around here so if someone is selling it, it should be easy to find on CL or EBAY

Sinister is not a common bike, great bikes but not common

I hope you find it

does anyone live in Novato? i am looking for some people to ride with out here and dont know anyone. i want to do a xc race this year and i am way out of shape and need some ridding buddy's.

Clydesdales are usually the 'big boys' over 200 lbs. or so. Athena is the female version. Most races will have a separate class for these participants.

i'm addicted to biking! i just bought another frame to build up, a banshee wildcard. i already have all the parts for it, most of them off of the moto.

Going to Rockville tomorrow morning to do 2 loops about 15 miles or so if anyone is interested, its in fairfield. Probably best place around to ride after the rain, and its all single track. If anyone is interested in going I can show you a good loop there that hits just about all the fun stuff.

Back