• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Found a New-to-Me Road Today

flying_hun

Adverse Selection
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Joined
May 4, 2005
Location
Orinda, CA
Moto(s)
A funky red & white Italian named Gianni Cervo! Versys - two of 'em! And a Ducati for laughs.
BARF perks
AMA #: 281672
Usually I find new-to-me roads when I get lost - which is often. :dunno Today, I found one because of a detour around road construction. :banana

Today, I felt the strong need to ride somewhere I hadn't ridden in a while, but after my usual late start, and my need to get back home before 6 PM, it couldn't be super far (Ebbetts was a non-starter for today :confused:). Jesus Maria is usually not a destination for me. More often it's on my route to or from Hawthorne, but today Jesus Maria was the reason for the season. It got repaved some time back, and is just a delight, so let's post a pic of that.
20260924_132625.jpg
 
When I left Valley Springs, then turned left on Hwy 26, there was a sign saying Road Closed Ahead. My habit is to view those as a challenge rather than an obstacle, so I continued. There wasn't much traffic on 26, and it's a fun roller coastery kind of road, so the fun continued even as I kept seeing Road Closed signs. It wasn't until I was approaching Hwy 49 that I came to the detour. I was a little disappointed because I like that section just before you get to Moke Hill, but I was curious because I recognized the name on the road for the detour, Campo Seco Turnpike! It's short, but fun. Single lane. Great surface. Not enough of it (1.6 miles) for it to be a destination, but a fun diversion on the way towards more destination-worthy roads.

BTW, the detour is because they're installing a roundabout at the junction of 26 and 49, and it's not scheduled to be complete until 2027, so if you head that way, you'll discover it too.

A map, a look forward, and a look backward through my mirror.
20260924_134515_small.jpg
screenshot-21-png.602206
20260924_134522-small.jpg
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot (21).png
    Screenshot (21).png
    212.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20260924_134522-small.jpg
    20260924_134522-small.jpg
    596.7 KB · Views: 13
Nice.... Sure looks amazing.. Why can't it be 50 miles!
Those are harder to find! Here's a fun note though, this road is so secret that it's not in my Benchmark Atlas of California. I mean, that thing has trails shown, but this road doesn't appear. :dunno
 
I found a new-to-me road today too.

Took a different fork in the road when headed between Smiths Ferry and Ola out past Sage Hen Reservoir. Apparently there are still quite a few dirt roads in that region that I haven't gotten to yet. Interesting how different the scenery can be when you're just ten or fifteen miles from a regular route.
 
Usually I find new-to-me roads when I get lost - which is often. :dunno Today, I found one because of a detour around road construction. :banana

Today, I felt the strong need to ride somewhere I hadn't ridden in a while, but after my usual late start, and my need to get back home before 6 PM, it couldn't be super far (Ebbetts was a non-starter for today :confused:). Jesus Maria is usually not a destination for me. More often it's on my route to or from Hawthorne, but today Jesus Maria was the reason for the season. It got repaved some time back, and is just a delight, so let's post a pic of that.
View attachment 602203
Jesus Maria is a joy. I’ll be up there in a few weeks!!!
 
Jesus Maria is a joy. I’ll be up there in a few weeks!!!
Jesus Maria was always the destination, it was Campo Seco turnpike that was new, and if you're heading to JM soon, the detour will put you on it too.
 
Jesus Maria was always the destination, it was Campo Seco turnpike that was new, and if you're heading to JM soon, the detour will put you on it too.
Thanks. I caught that and will be sure to let the ride leader know about this lil detour. I was expressing my love for JM.
 
Those are harder to find! Here's a fun note though, this road is so secret that it's not in my Benchmark Atlas of California. I mean, that thing has trails shown, but this road doesn't appear. :dunno
Not secret to us in the valley.
You did forget or did not notice the speed limit.
1790377880074.png

But there is almost no traffic on this short cut to 26.

Next time go south on 26 and turn on to Paloma road.
1790378337725.png

Or take Campo Seco road off of Paloma road. From there take you pick of roads near Camanche or Pardee Reservoirs.
1790378564857.png


Fall is coming and these roads will not be as hot as they are in the summer. Enjoy
 
Not secret to us in the valley.
You did forget or did not notice the speed limit.
View attachment 602245

But there is almost no traffic on this short cut to 26.

Next time go south on 26 and turn on to Paloma road.


Or take Campo Seco road off of Paloma road. From there take you pick of roads near Camanche or Pardee Reservoirs.



Fall is coming and these roads will not be as hot as they are in the summer. Enjoy
Speed limit? :wtf

Yeah, I've ridden Paloma before, but haven't made those connections. Thanks.
 
Back
Top