Interesting aero idea for speed record bike

DataDan

Mama says he's bona fide
Moto(s)
Yamaha FJR1300
Name
Dan
World’s fastest electric motorcycle has a massive hole running right through its center… for better aerodynamics

wmc250ev_worlds_fastest_electric_motorcycle_2.jpg

Two-wheel drive, 100kW (134hp) total from four motors, trying for 250mph.

EDIT: Already covered in electric bike thread. Sorry.

Last edited:
That's rad. It's such brilliant and relatively simple design solution. Just make it into a long tube.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing. It looks like a great solution. Looking forward to seeing more.

That's gonna fill in so much of the wake. Such a good idea.

I do wonder why they didn't just lower the rider and eliminate the tube. Perhaps draping the rider over the lower part would make everything too wide, eliminating any advantage.

EDIT: Already covered in electric bike thread. Sorry.

Only briefly though.
Perhaps it's just the camera angle but the photo posted in the other thread makes the height look much more reasonable. The picture you shared seems like a long way down raising center of gravity concerns with me, among other things. A different bike perhaps?
I am also curious about what is used for steering input. Turn-by-wire servos?

Only briefly though.
Perhaps it's just the camera angle but the photo posted in the other thread makes the height look much more reasonable. The picture you shared seems like a long way down raising center of gravity concerns with me, among other things. A different bike perhaps?
I am also curious about what is used for steering input. Turn-by-wire servos?
Looks like hub center steering:

wmc250ev_worlds_fastest_electric_motorcycle_5.jpg

I think this photo captures the essence of this new bike better:

WM6ZX4EDHRHTFGDQHFILYL4G3I.JPG

I don't see how the rider sees where he's going at speed, though.

I'm wondering about this internal wind tunnel, any crosswind will affect how it works. I see it as an airfoil, much like a sailboat, it might impart its' own steering/lifting forces.

^^ this is what Whammy was thinking. I was thinking of those cars back in the day where the fenders turned with the wheels kind of thing.
We'll have to wait and see.

I'm wondering about this internal wind tunnel, any crosswind will affect how it works. I see it as an airfoil, much like a sailboat, it might impart its' own steering/lifting forces.

Not necessarily. A 10mph crosswind is such a small change in the vector when traveling forwards at 200mph. Plus the duct is so long and smooth that any air will have a very hard time leaving the back any direction other than straight. I wouldn't be surprised if this moto is more stable at high speeds because the exit air adds more stability than the wake found on a normal moto.

On top of all that, a crosswind is part of standard testing procedure with CFD and wind tunnels. Even bicycle wheel manufactures test different yaw angles. I'd bet this team already has a max crosswind speed for which they are willing the make runs.

Interesting build, but I am skeptical that is drag area is less than other stream liners out there.

Must verify with numbers.

Oh good, someone finally invented a motorcycle that makes carrying those 2x4's home from the hardware store an easy job.

I read the article in Cycle World and didn't see where that was mentioned. Where did you get this information from?

I'm guessing the new HUD. For Helmets now...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210629-153554_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210629-153554_Gallery.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 13
I’m curious if the steering is mechanical and somehow wraps down the sides of that tube or if it’s passed down via 1’s and 0’s.

I’m curious if the steering is mechanical and somehow wraps down the sides of that tube or if it’s passed down via 1’s and 0’s.
The article explains it.
The front has a Bimota Tesi-style hub-steering system, though it uses cables rather than linkages to connect the bars to the wheel so there’s nothing to obstruct that huge duct.

Back