• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Is this tire still good?

nicoj36

Moto(s)
08zx6r, 06gsxr, 06ninja250
Name
nico
44.jpg

I put this one about 3 months ago and have been riding the twisties. I must've hit some rough curves or maybe rocks/gravel? Are they still ok or should I replace already?

Is it holding pressure? that would be my first concern.

It looks like they are above the wear indicators and that should make them OK with the look often.
However I am a scurdy pants when it comes to tires because they are my lifeline to the road... so I would replace it.

Out of curiosity what is the date code on the tire? Looks like the tire spun or slide on something that chewed it up a bit, maybe a rock got briefly wedged between the tire and the swingarm? Assuming there's nothing deeper than what we see in the picture and it doesn't continue to deteriorate it's probably fine.

I’d probe the cuts to see how deep they go. Just be sure not to make them any deeper with the probing.

Last edited:
No holes or air leak, I would just watch. Any strange wear, get a new tire. IF it was leaking I would plug to get home and order a new tire. I have tossed a tire with less than 1K on it because I had to plug it. Yes the $$ hurts, but less than a crash.

I fully agree with Budman, I don't mess with moto tires that have ANY weirdness to them. I came to this general position after a lot of "the hard way" lessons.

No, it is not. Any tire, for whatever reason, that provides lost confidence is a needless distraction. Spoon a new one on and go ride.

No, it is not. Any tire, for whatever reason, that provides lost confidence is a needless distraction. Spoon a new one on and go ride.
but first, time for smokey burnouts 'til it pops! (just being BARF helpful here)

if you have to ask that question then you know the answer is no

Those circular marks near the cuts look suspiciously like the crimped edge of a vent pipe or some other sheet metal material got spun up under your tire. The cuts are deep and the tread is damaged. I would commute on that tire and watch it, but if you want to go above 5/10 leaned over, it's a no bro.

There are too many cracks in that tire outside of the obvious damage that would make me nervous. Something is wrong with the rubber of that tire....manufacture date?

Back