• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Kicked the Tires on a 2024 KTM 790 Adventure...

FLH03RIDER

Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem!
Moto(s)
Down to one.
Probably shouldn't have, not a "dirt" kinda guy other than stuff like XJ's, Wranglers, D90's, 109's out in Nevada. But something kinda "clicked" with 790. Like the mid-size, way less weight and size than the GS, Pan America and 1290 type stuff. Like that it's a bit more street focused (for me anyway) and more than capable of doing anything I'd consider pointing it at offroad. Would need to have a few farkles like hard bags, oops sorry "panniers", skidplate, and the optional ~$750.00 "Tech Pack w/Rally Pack" that unlocks all the cool electrically controlled goodies.
Do I need it? No. Do I want it? YES
Sigh :-|

i have a 2019 790 adventure s. i frickin’ love that thing! but i’m all about soft luggage. :x

:( :( Well DAMN, that just popped my balloon! Yeah, seems to be a real issue with the 7/890 motors.
Supposedly the 2024's have a new head design and the 2019 - 2023 heads are no longer available.
Don't know if that info is factual, will do some more digging.

Yeah. It appears to be an unfortunate situation.
People who own them seem to really enjoy them

Probably shouldn't have, not a "dirt" kinda guy other than stuff like XJ's, Wranglers, D90's, 109's out in Nevada. But something kinda "clicked" with 790. Like the mid-size, way less weight and size than the GS, Pan America and 1290 type stuff. Like that it's a bit more street focused (for me anyway) and more than capable of doing anything I'd consider pointing it at offroad. Would need to have a few farkles like hard bags, oops sorry "panniers", skidplate, and the optional ~$750.00 "Tech Pack w/Rally Pack" that unlocks all the cool electrically controlled goodies.
Do I need it? No. Do I want it? YES
Sigh :-|

I am with Snoopy.

Attachments

• only live once live every day (2).jpg
    only live once live every day (2).jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 2
Also to note that stock air filter system is marginal if not setup properly, Rottweiler also has a bad track record on the 7/890.
Lots of stories of premature valve wear from dust ingestion

:( :( Well DAMN, that just popped my balloon! Yeah, seems to be a real issue with the 7/890 motors.
Supposedly the 2024's have a new head design and the 2019 - 2023 heads are no longer available.
Don't know if that info is factual, will do some more digging.
It happened. It got fixed under warranty. No fucks given because of the joy the bike brings.

I still think about the KTM 890 SMT from time to time, but I have not ridden one. If they'd gone with better suspension and brake components I very well may have already purchased one. Instead I occasionally guestimate how much it'd cost me to buy that bike and then make it what I want it to be, and then I decide my Ducati is just fine.

Most of KTMs stuff is made in China or India now. IF CFMoto makes their own version of the SMT I'll happily buy that and avoid the orange tax.

The problem with a lot of KTM owners is they treat the KTM like a Japanese bike. With KTM you have to do a pre-ride check, a post ride check and keep up with the maintenance.

Just buy the damn thing with a warranty if it is a 790/890. I never had a ktm let me down and I love that Jim Jones Orange koolaid. The 790/890 is a great machine on and off the road, shitty about cam issues

signed:
Screenshot_20240614_190407_Gallery.jpg

Just buy the damn thing with a warranty if it is a 790/890. I never had a ktm let me down and I love that Jim Jones Orange koolaid. The 790/890 is a great machine on and off the road, shitty about cam issues

signed:
View attachment 562461
you’re ktm’s knob?

hahaha

Do it, the bikes rule. The camshaft issue is, as far as I can tell, pretty overblown, my local KTM dealer has never seen one come through. KTM sells a lot of LC8c bikes and the issues definitely exist but I think they're a tiny fraction of overall bikes. We've got ~15 of them across my riding buddies. The only issue we've had is dust ingest on one due to riding in heavy dust for an extended period of time without validating the airbox was well sealed.

KTM seems to be pretty good about taking care of folks, but it also comes down to the local dealership.

I had a KTM 890 Adventure R for awhile. It's not that much lighter than a GS and lays flat where a GS lays on its cylinder making it easier to pick up ;) Great bike though and significantly faster than a GS, but at 72 I wasn't going to go crazy off road. I sold it after 10K miles and no issues other than defective OEM battery! Bought another GS!

If you have other bikes to ride, then you'll be fine when the 790 breaks and spends weeks and weeks at the KTM dealership getting repaired. And if you enjoy KTM's poor customer service attitude.

For example, an individual dealership can not make a Warranty/no-warranty decision ... so your bike breaks (say at 1300 miles like my KTM did), call the dealership, they tell you bring it in and will be about 1.5 weeks before they can look at it ... they then take ~2 days to look at it, pull something apart, find out what is messed up, then send a request to KTM (US head quarters?), then wait 2-4 days to hear back ... if you are lucky and KTM HQ agrees to warranty then parts are ordered ... wait 1-2+ weeks for parts to come in ... then another 3-5 days for the dealer to get back to working on your bike ... so around 5-6 weeks after it broke you might get it back working again. What fun!

But seriously, if you understand that, and are totally cool with it, they make some great bikes that are fun to ride.

Do it, the bikes rule. The camshaft issue is, as far as I can tell, pretty overblown, my local KTM dealer has never seen one come through. KTM sells a lot of LC8c bikes and the issues definitely exist but I think they're a tiny fraction of overall bikes. We've got ~15 of them across my riding buddies. The only issue we've had is dust ingest on one due to riding in heavy dust for an extended period of time without validating the airbox was well sealed.

KTM seems to be pretty good about taking care of folks, but it also comes down to the local dealership.
My local dealer, OMA KTM, now covers my warranty stuff as it happens and dear God, I love them. So far it was only a brake issue.

And, I agree with @usedtobefast. If the KTM was my only bike I'd be pissed but it's not so I accept the quirks because the joy the bikes bring is unparalleled.

Back