• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Kite makers/flyers...

usndocjaysin

Moto(s)
2004 HONDA CBR 600RR
Soo... Trying to find activities to do with my 2 y/o JF and thought... "well... its pretty windy here (solano co.) why not take him kite flying?" I'd like to make one for him but don't want to do a tradional "diamond" one though... Maybe do a "box" one...:dunno By no means am I opposed to making a kite with a difficult or complex design either. If you guys got any sick functional unique kites/ideas or know of good open places in the yay to fly 'em post it here!

Last edited:
winddance.jpg

Anyone know of any kite shops in the bay...went camping in HMB this weekend and got to fly my brothers 2 string stunt kite that he got in Oregon. So much fun.....:thumbup

Got a request to teach a fighter kite class at Ft. Worden Kitemakers Conference in March next year.
Not at Ft. Worden anymore. the State Park raised prices, but they kept the name for history.
It's being held at Warm Beach near Stanwood WA now.

My class will be constructing a precision controllable single string kite you can drive around in the sky, or indoors.
It's a design I made 30 years ago to re-cycle single use shopping bags rather than throw them away.

[The Jerk]The new phone book’s here… I’m a somebody now.[/The Jerk]

Chester_kite1.jpeg
Col_Sanders3.png

I like air foil kits because there are no sticks and you can't break them. You can usually fold them up in a nice neat little bag as well.

subscribed, but... I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi...

My kite story.
Me and a buddy were getting ready to see the Grateful Dead in Wisconsin. We decided we needed to make a little money so we came up with the genius plan to make tie dyed kites. We called them Skydyes. Anyway, we made a pile of them and headed up to the show. We started flying them from our camping spot in the parking lot. We sold a few and that was cool. 2 of our kites got hung up in the top of a row of tall Eucalyptus trees and we couldn't get them down so we tied the strings off on my truck's antenna.
After the show, we were hanging out. Every once in a while I would get up and start pulling on the string as if I was flying a kite. You really couldn't see the kite up in the top of the tree as it was pretty dark. Baked trippers would come by and ask me what I was doing. I explained that I was flying a kite that was really really high up there. I easily convinced them that they could see the kite. I would hand the string to the baked soul and tell them to go ahead and fly it. It felt just like you were flying a kite. I got a lot of "wow dude". I still remember the side cramps from laughing so hard. .

Built a Jerry Garcia memorial kite in '96.
Flew that out at Alvord Dry Lake and El Mirage when the wind was too low for kite buggying with the big sparless foils.
Lots of extra space when nobody can get their traction going.

Jerry_Mem.png

I just like messing with various foil types and feeling the wind.

frs_domo1.jpg

($16 commercial kidy kite)

Last edited:
We are everywhere.

Reactions: bcj
Built this for the Longbeach WA kite festival this week.
cd20240814_114517.png

Had a good time out at the beach this weekend.
Round up of this years' construction excession.
24_stds_th.png

Flying for line touch points all day Saturday. Round-Robin, everyone flies against everyone else for three points.
24_NFKA1_th.png

Static kites down the north side of Bolstead Ave.
24_static2_th.png

24_static5_th.png

Club camps on the south side
24_static7_th.png

Back