• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Motorcycle Tool Tube--DIY

Nemo Brinker

Tonight we ride
Moto(s)
'04 919, '04 DR650
Name
Legion
So this little craft project (a cheap, nifty tube for your bike tools) is all over ADVrider and the Vee-strom forums, but I wanted one of my own on the DR650.

First step, you need a tractor manual tool tube from Agri-Supply--a steal at 4.99.
http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=67670&bhcd2=1280519731

Here it is as it arrives.
100_5032.jpg

You can get the yellow stuff off with carb or brake cleaner, but I just rattlecanned it.

The plastic tabs with the drilled holes are reputed to be too weak to hold up under moto vibration, especially on a dual-sport, so you cut that shiz off.

100_5043.jpg

The cap screws on and has a long set of threads and a rubber washer, but I wanted a bit of extra cap retention, so I got some thin coated cable and cable end-stoppers and drilled the cap to add the retaining cable. The body of the tube has a drain hole in the back already, so I used that.

100_5038.jpg

and hammered the stopper onto the stripped end of the cable.
100_5041.jpg

Tools in tube with retaining cable
100_5045.jpg

Size comparison, old and new tubes
100_5036.jpg

To mount it to my bike, I used an existing mount point and bolts. I first tried large hose clamps for mounts, but they didn't work terribly well. A couple of lengths of 3/4" galvanized pipe strapping, though, lined with an old rim strip for a bit of vibration resistance, worked fine to mount the tube up.

100_5063.jpg

On the bike, side cover replaced
100_5065.jpg

Testing is yet to come. Have fun making your own.

can i fit a bicycle pump in it and is it good for beginners?

Nice job! I wussed out and bought the Dan Vesel luggage guard and tool tube combo.

Very nice. That's a nice, clean install. I decided to super-size my tool tube:

IMG_0089.jpg

That's 4" ABS sewer pipe and rubber end-caps from Home Depot. Clamped onto the skid plate. It fits an amazing amount of stuff in it. A whole tool roll (full set of open-end wrenches, axle wrenches, crescent wrenches, JB Weld, fuses, on and on) plus front and rear tubes. Total cost was around $30.

Pipe bomb ftw! :laughing Definitely NOT for beginners.

JPK, I've heard that a large tool lube in front there is vulnerable to rock whacks (though the ABS pipe can likely take it, bet the Agri-tube can't) and affects front-end handling. How's yours?

Pipe bomb ftw! :laughing Definitely NOT for beginners.

JPK, I've heard that a large tool lube in front there is vulnerable to rock whacks (though the ABS pipe can likely take it, bet the Agri-tube can't) and affects front-end handling. How's yours?

I gave it a good thrashing at Clear Creek last Sunday, and it took all the punishment with no issues. The KLR actually suffers from too light a front end on the highway, so getting some of the tools and stuff out of the tailbag and further forward and lower should improve handling (though I can't honestly say I noticed a difference one way or the other).

i think on my CBR1000RR, i carry an hex key; as in 1, one, single - hex key. :teeth

but it by itself will take apart most of the bike! :laughing

if i'm really feeling shit will happen, maybe i'll throw in a zip tie or two :rofl

i think on my CBR1000RR, i carry an hex key; as in 1, one, single - hex key. :teeth

but it by itself will take apart most of the bike! :laughing

if i'm really feeling shit will happen, maybe i'll throw in a zip tie or two :rofl

:rofl

I forget the size, but I think a 6 or 8mm socket will take apart nearly an entire KTM :teeth

I used to need one just to take the seat off my 01 640, but thankfully the 05 has a seat release.

Back