• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

New MotoGP rules for 2027

Map8

I want nothing
Staff member
Super Moderator
Moto(s)
2012 Street Triple r,
DRZ400SM, KTM 450SMR, YZ250F (still parting out),
Name
Steve
MotoGP released the 2027 rules package today.

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2024/05/06/welcome-to-the-future-of-motogp-new-bikes-in-2027/497238

Why the changes?
To slow down the bikes which are getting too fast for several of the tracks and increase competition.

Big changes:

- Reduction in capacity to 850cc. Bore size is reduced but stroke remains the same which is likely an indirect cap on rpm. Also helps with engine life. Engine limits will be six engines per rider for a 20 race season, seven engines for a 21 or 22 race season.

- Ride-height devices and holeshot devices are banned.

- More restrictions on aero bodywork size and development. Width and length of front fairings reduced. Height of tail sections reduced. Homologation of aero is further restricted.

- GPS Data. GPS data from all riders will be available to all teams after each session. This is supposed to help level the playing field. It will be interesting to see what crew chiefs say about how effective this will be.

Lesser changes:

- 100% sustainable fuel. Teams are already using 40% sustainable fuel. The definition of sustainable is somewhat vague. Probably not much impact.

- Concessions. Every team will be starting from scratch with the new engine and aero rules so they will all start with some concessions. Concession tiers will be evaluated halfway through the 2027 season. New manufacturers to MotoGP, should there be any, will start with even more concessions.

The BIG Question: Why not just introduce less grippy tires and save all the new engineering time and expense? Because that would make too much sense.

Last edited:
I was going to say, the last time they reduced engine size the corner speeds went up, passing was harder and they had more bad crashes. Don't mind the holeshiot device ban. They should make them go Old Skool and bump start those suckers

Mad

I like the no holeshot device thing. Sorry KTM.

I like the no ride height device thing. Sorry Ducati.

Aero: TBD, but the shit not being ripped off by rubbing elbows would be a bonus and I know some don't like the look of the current transformerish machines.

Engine size: The manufacturers will overcome.

Sustainable fuel: Always thought that the bikes should run on smooshed bugs not dinosaurs. :p

Hoping that these will trigger a new wave of street going 4 cylinder sport bikes in the 800 cc category. Maybe Suzuki will update the GSXR-750. Glad they still sell it in the US but haven't changed since 2011!

Happy to see the wings being clipped. New superbikes look hideous with the wings. Ride height device ban is also good. Getting a bit more closer to letting rider talent making a bigger difference.

The cc reduction didn't work that well before... :dunno

Agreed. During those years I referred to WSBK as "the championship with the correct displacement." The 800cc bikes sounded like shit, IMO. The mandated bore size should keep the new 850cc engines from being as peaky as the 800cc era and allow for better racing.

I'm pretty good with all the changes except for the displacement reduction.

The bikes should be fire breathing untamed mofos to ride.. :laughing

Mark

I don't understand the "sustainable fuel" and smaller tanks for the new more " fuel efficient" bikes when they have : "Dorna has a fleet of 16 lorries to transport all of the equipment, in addition to 64 team vehicles, 95 hospitality and support vehicles, and 13 motorhomes."
I would think the amount of fuel the bikes use in comparison to moving the circus is not really consequential?
I get they are trying to "look green"....but really.
DT

If they want to look green I suggest they reach out to Kawasaki. :p

In reality I can understand that having race motors work on alt fuels is a win for the environment as it passed down.

I don't understand the "sustainable fuel" and smaller tanks for the new more " fuel efficient" bikes when they have : "Dorna has a fleet of 16 lorries to transport all of the equipment, in addition to 64 team vehicles, 95 hospitality and support vehicles, and 13 motorhomes."
I would think the amount of fuel the bikes use in comparison to moving the circus is not really consequential?
I get they are trying to "look green"....but really.
DT

I think it's more about stimulating research and development in that area that the manufacturers can use in future products.

Marketing is not the only reason for factories to compete. It might not even be the primary reason anymore.

Bike min weight is going down as well. Most of this was tried before and didn't work. Perhaps the aero for the corners has gotten so good by eliminating some of that they will slow in the corners but with less weight and smaller engine I wouldn't be too sure.

If nothing else it gives the struggling teams a chance to reset. Rumors of BMW considering an entry. Wonder if anyone else could be tempted.

Marv / my neighbor / Mr. Kawasaki almost choked on his beer laughing...

:thumbup

If nothing else it gives the struggling teams a chance to reset. Rumors of BMW considering an entry. Wonder if anyone else could be tempted.

Be awesome to have BMW join in. :thumbup

Marv and I (SFMCjohn too I bet) are hoping for Kawasaki!

Back