• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Post / Chat whores post here (2024)

If the surround isn’t torn and the thing is playing, I would think the voice coil is intact. A torn spider could allow the voice coil to scrape inside the groove it rides in. Easy to inspect if you can open the box or remove the driver. Also, if the voice coil does happen to be cooked, you might smell it.

I was wondering the same, either torn, or maybe the delaminated. I'll give it a day or two for a response from them but the temptation to take it apart now is high. Looks like I can always just buy an aftermarket driver which I'm sure will ruin any tuning they did with the enclosure, but would probably be good enough for me as long as it didn't end up super boomy.

I was wondering the same, either torn, or maybe the delaminated. I'll give it a day or two for a response from them but the temptation to take it apart now is high. Looks like I can always just buy an aftermarket driver which I'm sure will ruin any tuning they did with the enclosure, but would probably be good enough for me as long as it didn't end up super boomy.
What is the model number?

If it has any built in EQ it might be a circuit board which was the problem with my Velodyne DD15.

Well, to their credit they got back to me right quick. However, a new driver is $259 and the sub itself can be had on sale right now for $383 so I'm inclinded to just throw a cheaper driver in there first to see if it's good enough. I do miss radio shack for things like this.

Model is Paradigm Defiance V8 Subwoofer I don't think it's anything electrical though as the sound is very much the voice coil rattling against something.

On the upside, now that I have heard back, I can take this thing apart :laughing

Well, to their credit they got back to me right quick. However, a new driver is $259 and the sub itself can be had on sale right now for $383 so I'm inclinded to just throw a cheaper driver in there first to see if it's good enough. I do miss radio shack for things like this.

Model is Paradigm Defiance V8 Subwoofer I don't think it's anything electrical though as the sound is very much the voice coil rattling against something.

On the upside, now that I have heard back, I can take this thing apart :laughing
A new RSL 10E will outperform it at $299.

Yours is 8" it is 10"

Yours has a 75 watt RMS amp, the RSL 10E has 300 watts.

Yours extends to 34hz, the 10E to 26, 22 with room gain.

Your 8" driver is 8.3 ohms so here are some replacement drivers if you want to go that route.

Get the highest sensitivity you can find as yours is 100mv.

Actually, I figured it out, thanks to the sun and having the cover off. There's a little convex piece that covers the voice core, which I can see flapping in the breeze. Seems the glue holding it in place is failing. I can press on it gently and it'll stick in place for a couple of seconds at which point everything sounds lovely again. I'll be using a few toothpicks and a very light application of glue to sort this right out. I still blame amazon and their middling rings of power however.

Reactions: GAJ
Actually, I figured it out, thanks to the sun and having the cover off. There's a little convex piece that covers the voice core, which I can see flapping in the breeze. Seems the glue holding it in place is failing. I can press on it gently and it'll stick in place for a couple of seconds at which point everything sounds lovely again. I'll be using a few toothpicks and a very light application of glue to sort this right out. I still blame amazon and their middling rings of power however.
Awesome.

My faith in Paradigm is more or less restored and I'll be annoying the S/O in no time, because of course I'll have to thoroughly test my fix once the glue has dried :laughing

That's just the term for the wound copper part of the speaker that sits in a slot in the magnet to drive any speaker. I suspect it is because frequencies associated with vocals seem to be more audible at the center of the speaker, or possibly just the way a speaker was described back when it was invented that stuck.

First attempt, used a toothpick to lift up the section that was coming un-glued and put another to spread a small amount of glue around. Now it's sitting with a light amount of pressure on the cone while the glue dries. If that doesn't do the trick it looks like I can gently remove the entire thing and then re-attach it but I'd prefer to avoid that.

First attempt, used a toothpick to lift up the section that was coming un-glued and put another to spread a small amount of glue around. Now it's sitting with a light amount of pressure on the cone while the glue dries. If that doesn't do the trick it looks like I can gently remove the entire thing and then re-attach it but I'd prefer to avoid that.
I think you want to use something more like rubber cement than super glue.

Maybe use magnets, one on each side, to hold it in place.

I just used some basic mounting glue, nice thing is it cleans up easy if it doesn't work. I'll certainly enjoy the stress test this afternoon one way or another :laughing probably should do it before folks get home from work.

Back