• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Rydther Rally - September 13-15, 2024

Hoping the bike will be ready. If not :dunno
Bring truck and play with pew pews?

here's a map of the Hwy 395 closure south of Sonora Junction, from Wednesday, I'm told:

SonoraJunction.jpg

Walker would be at the top, and Bridgeport is to the right. iow, you can't get to Bridgeport directly by turning right at the end of Hwy 108 ... (thanks to Mr Nuckingfuts on ADV for the map).

Last edited:
We drove through there this past weekend and they had the corrugated steel tunnel sections staged by the side of the road. There is probably a trench where the road used to be right now.

There is a dirt road out of Walker that meanders south and intersects with 395 north of Bridgeport, but south of the closure. It’s probably fastest to head north on 395 to take 208 east to Yerington, then 95 south to Hawthorne.

^^:thumbup

Yes, Bircham Flat Road … hear that CalTrans is using the southern end for staging—so it’s closed there—but there’s a little BLM road (32031E) near the southern end that heads off to the east to 395 that guys are using to access the NorCal Backroad Discovery Route.

thinking I’m just going to head to Walker and Risue Road and Lucky Boy Pass on those dirt roads rather than the Yerington route … I have a vague plan to try to camp on Masonic Mountain on Wednesday.

looks like Mr @stratslingr77 was up that way recently, maybe he’ll also chime in with some intel … :ride

Last edited:
I read that Walker's Mt View BBQ will be closed on the 13th so make other lunch plans.....ugh....was really looking forward to a Texas burger.

I read that Walker's Mt View BBQ will be closed on the 13th so make other lunch plans.....ugh....was really looking forward to a Texas burger.
:jaded

Topaz perhaps? :dunno

1725730804535.png

Just got this message from Jeff......I know I'll be there. Anybody else planning on some tasty BBQ?

I am in. I would think there will be at least 10 people.

Yes, Bircham Flat Road … hear that CalTrans is using the southern end for staging—so it’s closed there—but there’s a little BLM road (32031E) near the southern end that heads off to the east to 395 that guys are using to access the NorCal Backroad Discovery Route.

thinking I’m just going to head to Walker and Risue Road and Lucky Boy Pass on those dirt roads rather than the Yerington route … I have a vague plan to try to camp on Masonic Mountain on Wednesday.

looks like Mr @stratslingr77 was up that way recently, maybe he’ll also chime in with some intel … :ride
I’m interested on this intel, I seen this route coming off the bottom of 89 and 395. Take Rosie / NF-050 across to 338 and connect with Lucky Boy Pass - I saw some old intel on adv rider that is is viable

Attachments

• IMG_7670.png
    IMG_7670.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
cool map! :thumbup

yes, I think I did Risue/Lucky Boy to our last BARF Hawthorne event, and a bunch of times over the years. have not done it this season though. Risue Rd is kind of a pretty well-used east-west road, with some year round streams, so people like to camp along those sections.

If I do it on Wednesday I can try to report back here …

Wish I had seen this sooner otherwise I would have made the ride down from my little corner or Oregon. Hope y'all have a blast and I will be there next year for sure.

Heading out on the 8th. Carson City>South Lake Tahoe>Healdsburg>Garberville>Manteca>Hawhorne.

Kind of a weird itinerary, I know. I will be staying in Hawthorne one extra day to head home on Monday without needing a reservation through the park on 120.
For those coming from/through Reno.
Davis Creek Fire

I drove the 395 detour on Friday
No big deal.
Lots of Popo around Lee Vining as usual so take it easy before hitting Pole Line Rd

@SFMCjohn I didn't make it that far south on 395 this weekend so I have nothing useful to add, unfortunately. Except the weather is phenomenal in the Sierras right now!

Back