• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Screening

moto-rama

Moto(s)
'22 R1250RS
'17 KTM 690
'07 Bonneville
Name
Jim
This is something most of us probably do after a couple of years riding.

"Screening": Using other vehicles in traffic as blockers or protection from other vehicles. Also riidng close to another vehicle (but not behind or too close) to increase your own visibilty.

I find variations of screening very handy when there is merging traffic coming on to freeways. Finding a postiion in traffic that prevents the merging vehicles from merging in to me, for example, or just getting another car in between me and the other incoming car(s).

Motos just don't get the "respect" that larger vehicles get so I've found that getting in the same frame can help make me more visible, or if necessary creating a moving wall between me and some moron.

Things to avoid of course, are getting lost in the shuffle or making yourself vulnerable to a lane changer. Freeways are incredibly dynamic, so that situational awareness is important.

Last edited:
Wait a minute. 2022 is almost here.

Back