Securing items inside hard cases

B-mtrd

drtm-B
Moto(s)
The Mistress
Admission, sorry if posted in the wrong place.

I’ve ridden bikes for quite some time but this is the first time I have a bike with hard cases.
What do people use or recommend to secure stuff inside those cases?
I’m getting some inner bags for the side cases but notions for the top case.
Any recommendations?
Thanks in advance.

my Connie 14 cases have internal bungie straps, kinda like a hard side carry on suitcase
top case is a pelican with no foam so shit sorta rattles around, but when my laptop case is stuffed in there it is snug

I don't have any specific advice, I've never really used hard bags, and typically when I have luggage, its "filled enough".

I recall distinctly riding to a nice road with my cassette player (not dating myself, am I?) in my tail bag.

By the time I got there, I had rewind several of my cassettes, as they had simply vibrated loose.

A little bit of foam a can a long way. If it doesn't actually prevent the items from moving, it can damped the high level vibrations.

Or a handy sweatshirt.

Just something to take the edge off. Don't need to fill the things with Great Stuff or anything.

I have had many hard cases, ST1100, ST1300, K1600, Ducati Multistrada, and now a S1000XR all with hard luggage. Did have liners for the K1600 and never used them, they would be nice for a long tour. Side cases always had a first aid kit and an air compressor and tire kit. The inter straps did a good job keeping things in place. The top box always had a towel or light jacket so things did not bang on the bottom. The K1600 had a box large enough to hold two RF 1400's and room left over. Now I use the top box on the XR to hold my helmet, and electronics when parked.

I just bought two folding duffels for a tour of the Alps next week, will be on a rented RT1250. One bag for me and one for the wife. We pack light, did 3 week in Europe with just a backpack each.

I have liners for the side cases so everything stays pretty well in place and theyre usually packed full anyway. I installed a few padeyes inside my top case and use small bungees to keep things from rolling around.

Because the side cases I got for my bike are so new, they gave me liners for free if I sent them a video.
For the top case, my wife found a bag from target that fits like a glove.

If you keep a towel in your hard shell, you'll always know where it is.
Sewing up a microfiber liner is simple as ...

Shopping runs nearly every other day if you've parked up the car indefinitely though.

Admission, sorry if posted in the wrong place.

I’ve ridden bikes for quite some time but this is the first time I have a bike with hard cases.
What do people use or recommend to secure stuff inside those cases?
I’m getting some inner bags for the side cases but notions for the top case.
Any recommendations?
Thanks in advance.
I use old helmet bags like stuff sacks. Also put motion detectors in them. Any schmoo that wants to touch them can get 130db scream.

I used stuff sacks in various sizes and colors to keep things organized. You can get them at REI and other omuntaineering stores.

Back