• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Steve Young... girls football coach.

My daughter used to baby sit for the couple when the girls were pre-teens. Super chill nice people.

Joe Thornton was coaching either 8u or 10u hockey in San jose (presumably his kid's team?) when my kid was at the season championship 2 years ago, that made my day to see the big grey beard behind the bench. I wonder how many other pros are doing that and under the radar and just not as recognizable....
My kid was in the age group 1 or 2 above so we didn't play him.

Last edited:
A cot of these Pros get into coaching for their local kids teams after they retire. Lots of High School coaches. Most these pro level dudes have been involved in the sport their whole lives since being little kids themselves and it is hard to just stop when you retire in your 30's. Love of the game usually keeps them in, even if they don't want to try and do some Pro Level coaching stuff. It is more pure when it is just kids, all the business BS is taken out of it.

Haha, Eldritch your last line made me laugh.
I've been coaching youth lacrosse and ice hockey for the last 8 years. Some of the parents and coaches are absolutely insane competitive and serious and it's even worse in baseball and football.
I'm sure having an ex-pro coach, they will be chill because they realize how ridiculous it is to care about these things at the youth level, but the average parent/coach gets way too caught up in it.

Back