• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Stolen XR650L, recovered. What should I do?

musiclucho

Zombie
Moto(s)
Honda CBR900RR
Honda Nighthawk
Name
Gabriel
In September of 2022, both my Hondas were stolen same night from my apartment complex parking lot. Only liability insurance.
I got a replacement bike to commute and moved on.

Yesterday, CHP called me. They found a bike (I haven’t asked how). VIN and engine number were erased but they could get some numbers from the VIN and it matched mine. I sent pictures and they believe is the same bike. The officer sent me pictures and yes, same bike with the same stickers in the front end (thieves are stupid, I know). Bike was 100% stock but those stickers that came from the original owner.

So, it seems like the thieves ran the heck out the bike, of course it all trashed up with cheapo repairs for what I could see in the pictures. Bike is south of Chico and I live in Delano, Kern county. CHP told me that they will disclose my identity to towing company and we can work the bill for towing and what not (not sure how many days has it been there). Bike is probably worth nothing at this point. Yes, it cracks my heart seeing it is such poor condition after being a showroom condition with less than 1000 miles on it but I generally make decisions with a cold head.

I have zero experience in these cases so some input is great appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Well, if it's been in impound and would need to be towed to you, I'd find out how much that'll cost and make a call, odds are it may be more than the bike is worth, which sucks. If it's reasonable you could always rebuild it, odds are they just did a bunch of wheelies on it so aside from looking like shit it's probably ok. Still sucks, sorry to hear.

Yup, just get the total and do the math.

likely it's been beaten hard and neglected.

Like lawyers, Towing companies always get paid from other's pain.

Well, if it's been in impound and would need to be towed to you, I'd find out how much that'll cost and make a call, odds are it may be more than the bike is worth, which sucks. If it's reasonable you could always rebuild it, odds are they just did a bunch of wheelies on it so aside from looking like shit it's probably ok. Still sucks, sorry

Not sure if it still runs tough. Those bastards even gutted out the exhaust, probably to see if it will run faster.

Anyways. Now my main concern is what happens if I decided to do nothing and decline to pay for towing and storage at that private company. If the bill is high, I would not mind they keep it. Can they still initiate some legal process against me to get money?

Not sure about that part, hopefully they'd just take the title and auction it off but I'm not sure.

Well darn!. Sorry to hear first off. But I was just in Oroville this week for a bridge inspection....we have family that live there and maybe we can schedule a trip if you decide to pursue. We could send pics, see if starts maybe? And if you want put in my truck and bring to our house in American Canyon......let me know once you noodle.around....mike seven oh 7 685 zero nine 68

Well darn!. Sorry to hear first off. But I was just in Oroville this week for a bridge inspection....we have family that live there and maybe we can schedule a trip if you decide to pursue. We could send pics, see if starts maybe? And if you want put in my truck and bring to our house in American Canyon......let me know once you noodle.around....mike seven oh 7 685 zero nine 68
I talked with the CHP today and he told me it runs and that he will talk with the towing company to drop the bill and just charge for the towing fee. Your message just came like a fresh glass of water in the desert. I will text you tomorrow and hopefully we will figure something.

Well, if it runs and you don’t have to pay the storage fee, it might be worth keeping.

This is very kind of you! I hope all goes well with the recovery and the thief is sitting in jail.

You NEED to deal with this ASAP, depending on the tow company many of them are predatory and will victimize you again (after you have been victimized by theft of your item).

Is the registration and title in your name? They will come after tow and storage fee's (unless a nice letter from CHP will stop those) and if you don't pay those they will send the bike off to auction and whatever doesn't get covered by those proceeds will get sold as YOUR dept to a collections agency.

As much of a PITA as this is I would definitely pick up that bike and square anything / everything away with that tow company ASAP!!!
Remember EVERY day in storage could be up to $100 (in Oakland) if I recall correctly.

Back